Caught in MFS clutches!

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Caught in MFS clutches!

Post by brokensword »

so, some of you know I purchased some fish very late last fall and didn't want to subject them to colder temps. Instead, I put them in the turtle pool to over winter. Now, I started with 7 in there and between Nov and now, I've lost 4 of them. Just lost the last today (well, couldn't find it and I'd been watching it via video not swimming that well and thin. Whatever is ailing it isn't affecting the remaining 3 who have actually grown and act normally.

Okay, all that said, I'm laying my case for a dose of MFS (see the Acronym chart!) and desperately need someone to talk me off the ledge! Actually, I was already thinking if I lost 3, I'd replace 3, but closer to spring so the water temps would be similar. If I click the auction button, I'll have 10 days to complete my order and I usually don't buy less than 3 just because of shipping. Anticipating a tax refund isn't helping my MFS...I now see 3 fish to replace the ones I lost and my itchy trigger finger is aching to be let loose...help?

Would it make a difference if I posted pics of them??? (I dunno about you, but sure helps ME! Though not in a positive anti-MFS way, I'll admit. Maybe if I find a way to pay more taxes I won't have that refund...jus' sayin'!!)
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Caught in MFS clutches!

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:18 am so, some of you know I purchased some fish very late last fall and didn't want to subject them to colder temps. Instead, I put them in the turtle pool to over winter. Now, I started with 7 in there and between Nov and now, I've lost 4 of them. Just lost the last today (well, couldn't find it and I'd been watching it via video not swimming that well and thin. Whatever is ailing it isn't affecting the remaining 3 who have actually grown and act normally.

Okay, all that said, I'm laying my case for a dose of MFS (see the Acronym chart!) and desperately need someone to talk me off the ledge! Actually, I was already thinking if I lost 3, I'd replace 3, but closer to spring so the water temps would be similar. If I click the auction button, I'll have 10 days to complete my order and I usually don't buy less than 3 just because of shipping. Anticipating a tax refund isn't helping my MFS...I now see 3 fish to replace the ones I lost and my itchy trigger finger is aching to be let loose...help?

Would it make a difference if I posted pics of them??? (I dunno about you, but sure helps ME! Though not in a positive anti-MFS way, I'll admit. Maybe if I find a way to pay more taxes I won't have that refund...jus' sayin'!!)
You are getting very sleepy......................you don't need more fish right now................give it a rest, heal from losing the others...........................wait till the weather gets warmer
hypnotize-19_ .GIF
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:35 pm
brokensword wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:18 am so, some of you know I purchased some fish very late last fall and didn't want to subject them to colder temps. Instead, I put them in the turtle pool to over winter. Now, I started with 7 in there and between Nov and now, I've lost 4 of them. Just lost the last today (well, couldn't find it and I'd been watching it via video not swimming that well and thin. Whatever is ailing it isn't affecting the remaining 3 who have actually grown and act normally.

You are getting very sleepy......................you don't need more fish right now................give it a rest, heal from losing the others...........................wait till the weather gets warmer hypnotize-19_ .GIF
jeez, that the best ya gots, Queenie??? Dayum, those fish are as good as bought...sigh...ANNNNNND the first 3 were lost more than 2 months ago; been considering this for a while now. 10 days gets me into mid April and water will be 50 probably. I think it's 42 now at the bottom. I WOULD like to wait, but sometimes, these auctions don't put out the 'good fish' when you want them to and I've been monitoring closely. Would have pulled the trigger on several others and that's my hope if I DO wait, that there WILL be another I like just as much. I'm picky now as I already have a nice set of patterns and am trying to replace the ones I lost, more or less, pattern-wise!

But okay, see if you got more tricks up your sleeve to keep me on the straight and narrow!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

one down, two to go....no name----yet! This is a showa.

showa.jpg
showa.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 522 times
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:06 pm one down, two to go....no name----yet! This is a showa.

showa.jpg
Well that was fast!I didn't even have time to think of the first word in a sentence to try and stop you.

You have gotten on that MFS train and are not getting off any time soon that I can see :roll:
trainsmileyj.gif
fishcatch.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:23 pm
brokensword wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:06 pm one down, two to go....no name----yet! This is a showa.

showa.jpg
Well that was fast!I didn't even have time to think of the first word in a sentence to try and stop you.

You have gotten on that MFS train and are not getting off any time soon that I can see :roll:

trainsmileyj.gif fishcatch.gif
I was actually doing okay until some of the fish started suddenly dying in the basement. Can't really figure it out; the first one started being less visible on cam, then hardly at all (a the time, there were 2 of them) and I ended up getting 2 more (unfortunately, more expensive ones) and they were a lot larger. Lasted less than a month and it was like see them one day, the next, belly up. This last one was from December, another auction buy, and he was fine until a couple weeks ago; noticed he was skinnier then the others, swam a bit weakly (but had long fins, so some of that is normal) and was the one I saw most early on. Then less and less. Then now, can't find him. No doubt dead somewhere but I'll be darned if I know where. With turtles in there, the odds it was eaten are high (I mean after it died) or I'd see it floating too. A small fish and still worry a bit it might foul the water but am looking closely at it and the surviving fish' behavior.

The last 3 look fine, swim fine, eat well, look normal. I hesitate a bit to even get more and put them IN the pool downstairs as I think something about the water (and it might be just because it's well water and the new fish' system couldn't adapt) that's an issue. I checked the params, though and they are looking good; high KH, perceptible ammonia, no nitrites. This was before I hooked up a mini bog for the pool. I checked afterwards and it still looked okay, so might be incompatibility with the water they were in and the water here. So, this new batch is a replacement and I'll probably just put them into the big pond right off. I get 10 days to 'win at auction' what I want, then they'll ship, so it'll be mid April and the water should be over 50 then. We'll see. The other 3 in the pool are growing and doing just fine, so...
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword hope they all arrive healthy and happy! I hate losing fish, makes me sad. Not sure I will buy anymore but ya never know.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:14 pm @brokensword hope they all arrive healthy and happy! I hate losing fish, makes me sad. Not sure I will buy anymore but ya never know.
Me too; for the most part, I don't think I've received any that were not healthy. I DO think acclimating them is the issue. I lost a few LAST spring FROM an order that was probably too early, hence these new ones may indeed just go into the pool. I'll adjust everything a lot slower, just in case but these deaths happen over a month usually, not right away. Otherwise, I'd not get any new fish at all if there's such a difference in water. But losses are going to happen and just hope to minimize.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:50 pm
j.w wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:14 pm @brokensword hope they all arrive healthy and happy! I hate losing fish, makes me sad. Not sure I will buy anymore but ya never know.
Me too; for the most part, I don't think I've received any that were not healthy. I DO think acclimating them is the issue. I lost a few LAST spring FROM an order that was probably too early, hence these new ones may indeed just go into the pool. I'll adjust everything a lot slower, just in case but these deaths happen over a month usually, not right away. Otherwise, I'd not get any new fish at all if there's such a difference in water. But losses are going to happen and just hope to minimize.
Yep maybe take it real slow and easy and hopefully they will be fine.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

...and here's the second one. The other went stupidly too high in price, so I bowed out but I have a backup lined up.

This one is the Goromo variety. It's a butterfly version, I believe a fave, right @j.w ?

goromo.jpg
goromo.jpg (13.72 KiB) Viewed 506 times
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword I love those long tailed fishies :evil:

And you need to fix the name for that thumbs up smiley guy as it says evil when you highlight it :roll:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:46 pm @brokensword I love those long tailed fishies :evil:

And you need to fix the name for that thumbs up smiley guy as it says evil when you highlight it :roll:
Thought you'd like the butterfly!

Not sure I can fix; the program came with various smilies; when I subbed in new icons, I figured I had to use the old names because the software has code that will call for the originals by name. Now, it may be I CAN and I'll try, test, see, but not expecting miracles. You should have seen the originals; these are by far a lot better looking!

:-P :cool: