Adding climbing structures to the garden

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Adding climbing structures to the garden

Post by Gemma »

I told you guys about the arches I want to build with cattle panels on the 3 vegetable garden gates, but what if I would to put arches on the court gates (3) as well?
Of course they would have to be nicer then those of the vegetable garden, so no cattle panels, I'm thinking white vinyl
Here you can see the 3 court gates

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Adding climbing structures to the garden

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:41 pm I told you guys about the arches I want to build with cattle panels on the 3 vegetable garden gates, but what if I would to put arches on the court gates (3) as well?
Of course they would have to be nicer then those of the vegetable garden, so no cattle panels, I'm thinking white vinyl

Bet they would look nice. Just wonder how vinyl holds up in the heat of the sun? I have seen the fences made of vinyl out there and most always I see issues of them falling apart. I know some plastic gets brittle after a long time. Not sure if they have corrected this in some things better than others now.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:41 pm I told you guys about the arches I want to build with cattle panels on the 3 vegetable garden gates, but what if I would to put arches on the court gates (3) as well?

this is a personal esthetic thing, but for my money, I'd keep it as is for this reason; arches will take away the level-line look of the fence, which your gates continue. Arches, imo, might look out of place and not cohesive.

Just my couple pesos which a lot of peeps say is close to worthless, so, ymmv!!

:roll: :beaming: :cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:49 pm

Bet they would look nice. Just wonder how vinyl holds up in the heat of the sun? I have seen the fences made of vinyl out there and most always I see issues of them falling apart. I know some plastic gets brittle after a long time. Not sure if they have corrected this in some things better than others now.
Well they make vinyl siding and that lasts years so I'm thinking not all vinyl is created equal, and I'm hoping garden arbors are made of the resistant kind...they better be cause I bought them already :loopy:
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:13 am

.. arches will take away the level-line look of the fence, which your gates continue. Arches, imo, might look out of place and not cohesive.

Funny thing is I thought of arches to break the continues line...once again you're my total opposite, you must be the Pisces that's facing the other way :cheesyGrin: ..but yes you're right it is a matter of taste
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:36 pm

.. arches will take away the level-line look of the fence, which your gates continue. Arches, imo, might look out of place and not cohesive.

Funny thing is I thought of arches to break the continues line...once again you're my total opposite, you must be the Pisces that's facing the other way :cheesyGrin: ..but yes you're right it is a matter of taste
ha, well...I tend to like when things blend! Not to cause too much of an uproar in YOUR part of the Kingdom, but I'd have painted those gates to match the fencing!!! Told you -- close to worthless, hey?

:beaming: :beaming: :beaming: :-P :!: :cool:
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:21 pm

ha, well...I tend to like when things blend! Not to cause too much of an uproar in YOUR part of the Kingdom, but I'd have painted those gates to match the fencing!!! Told you -- close to worthless, hey?

Well old me would've wanted to do the same, but not anymore
...it all started when we were shopping for replacement windows....our house had dark brown wood windows, we wanted vinyl, not just any vinyl, we wanted the special kind of glass that does not overheat and they so happen to only come in white beige or gray...and so we chose white
I hated the new look of our house!-
It took me about two years to get used to the white. It gradually got better and better as I added more white things, like buying white hanging baskets instead of clay or green color, and then we built the court wall leaving the pvc pipes white, and finally it looked like the white windows belonged ...so now you see why we left the gates whiteImage
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:00 pm

...it all started when we were shopping for replacement windows....our house had dark brown wood windows, we wanted vinyl, not just any vinyl, we wanted the special kind of glass that does not overheat and they so happen to only come in white beige or gray...and so we chose white
It took me about two years to get used to the white. It gradually got better and better as I added more white things, like buying white hanging baskets instead of clay or green color, and then we built the court wall leaving the pvc pipes white, and finally it looked like the white windows belonged ...so now you see why we left the gates whiteImage
If we had it to do over we would have had windows w/black trim installed to hide the black poop that the flies leave all over!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:31 am

If we had it to do over we would have had windows w/black trim installed to hide the black poop that the flies leave all over!
Yikes! Gotta move back to the great MIDWEST; no black fly poop here, nosiree! This seasonal?
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:57 am
j.w wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:31 am
Yikes! Gotta move back to the great MIDWEST; no black fly poop here, nosiree! This seasonal?
It's whenever it's warm enough for the flies to fly! Winter in really cold they aren't around!
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Yesterday was a beautiful warm day so hubby and I decided to work on building the food garden arches
I think they came out great! I know they don't look like much right now, but try to imagine them covered in climbers
We decided to split the panel and build the arch on both side of the gates.
They came out nice and very sturdy and now I can't wait to build the ones for the court and go shop for plants :cheesyGrin: Image

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 pm Yesterday was a beautiful warm day so hubby and I decided to work on building the food garden arches
I think they came out great! I know they don't look like much right now, but try to imagine them covered in climbers
We decided to split the panel and build the arch on both side of the gates.
They came out nice and very sturdy and now I can't wait to build the ones for the court and go shop for plants :cheesyGrin: Image

gonna look great! All this spring fever though, I dunno; you gots a LONG time yet afore ya goes plant-shoppin' methinks!!
e888d4feff8fd5ff63a965471a94b874-2152971186.gif
e888d4feff8fd5ff63a965471a94b874-2152971186.gif (520.33 KiB) Viewed 391 times