Pond Club

a place to talk amongst yourselves, get to know each other better
Gemma
Reactions:

Pond Club

Post by Gemma »

Hubby and I stopped by the pond place on Saturday, to check up on upcoming pond tours and found out the Club have dissolved and there wont be anymore tours
To be honest we were not a part of the club, we never paid the membership nor attended any of their gatherings because we do not share the same philosophy when it comes to ponding...we were only interested in the tours.

Hubby thought we should start our own club, as if we have the time Image
...but if I would to quit my job and consider a starting a pond club, where would I even start?

Does anyone have ideas so we can create a plan to see if it's even doable?
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Pond Club

Post by j.w »

No Idea, not even sure what a pond club does? I mean I know they all must have ponds and would discuss what they do w/them etc. but not sure where to go from there. Good luck :beaming:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:39 pm Hubby and I stopped by the pond place on Saturday, to check up on upcoming pond tours and found out the Club have dissolved and there wont be anymore tours
To be honest we were not a part of the club, we never paid the membership nor attended any of their gatherings because we do not share the same philosophy when it comes to ponding...we were only interested in the tours.

...but if I would to quit my job and consider a starting a pond club, where would I even start?

yep, I tried twice to contact the local chapter of the Michigan Koi club around here and got no reply and only out-dated posts on their site. Not sure if Covid cancelled it or what. I thought it might be interesting to go on a tour but never have.

I think a Pond Club would be much like this forum, Gemma, but in person. I suppose you'd get like-minded people to come together socially and there'd be topics and presenters, etc. I was in an orchid club once and that was the routine. I think you'll have issues if you don't have interest locally (I doubt many are going to drive that far for something like this, ya know?). All that said, when putting together this site, one thought I had was MAYBE to start up some sort of Youtube live stream and actually talk/show/take questions etc re everything ponding. Still 'in my head' but was hoping to get more interest here, first. I can see it happening (I watch other video live streams and see the interest, for what it is). In a way, such would take the place of a pond club and you don't need to worry re driving distance; you'd just zoom the participants and run with it.

To a certain degree, it's the social that keeps any 'pond club' going and newbies are essential for maintaining core-group interest. Much as I feel these forums are. I've 'tried' re FB but am finding out that type crowd is different than those that are forum-goers and I imagine, than pond clubbers.

Just my 2 cents!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:41 pm
Gemma wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:39 pm Hubby and I stopped by the pond place on Saturday, to check up on upcoming pond tours and found out the Club have dissolved and there wont be anymore tours

yep, I tried twice to contact the local chapter of the Michigan Koi club around here and got no reply and only out-dated posts on their site. Not sure if Covid cancelled it or what. I thought it might be interesting to go on a tour but never have.

I think a Pond Club would be much like this forum, Gemma, but in person. I suppose you'd get like-minded people to come together socially and there'd be topics and presenters, etc. I was in an orchid club once and that was the routine. I think you'll have issues if you don't have interest locally (I doubt many are going to drive that far for something like this, ya know?). All that said, when putting together this site, one thought I had was MAYBE to start up some sort of Youtube live stream and actually talk/show/take questions etc re everything ponding. Still 'in my head' but was hoping to get more interest here, first. I can see it happening (I watch other video live streams and see the interest, for what it is). In a way, such would take the place of a pond club and you don't need to worry re driving distance; you'd just zoom the participants and run with it.

To a certain degree, it's the social that keeps any 'pond club' going and newbies are essential for maintaining core-group interest. Much as I feel these forums are. I've 'tried' re FB but am finding out that type crowd is different than those that are forum-goers and I imagine, than pond clubbers.

Just my 2 cents!
That right there was my issue and reason why I didn't want to belong to a "club", there are always those experts, and their one way that things must be done or you're doing it wrong ..hubby and I stopped answering their questions cause we knew we'd be judged negatively, we run our pond as naturally as possible, no power washing, no chemicals, bacteria etc and we don't turn the system off unless the pump starves due to ice formation and it might not be the way to go for other pond settings, but it works for us and those "club directors" have no right to criticize ..like I said we were only interested in getting notified of upcoming tour or shows and to have connections to other ponders in case we had fish to rehome
Thank you for giving me a much needed reality check cause now I remember I'm not that social I can't do anything involving people...passImage
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:57 pm I'm not that social I can't do anything involving people...passImage
methinks your lil gif-athons say otherwise, Gemma!!! Don't sell yourself short, I'd never have invited ya if I thought you were all fuddy duddy, ya know!!!

Already planning a 'pond show on the road' and got YOU lined up as emcee...heh heh

:cool: :-P :roll: ;)
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Oh man! I had a whole post written but then I got a http error and instead of closing the notice X I clicked and accidentally closed the page
why aren't gifs working? is mrsbroken cleaning house again?
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gifs working for me :beaming:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:09 pm Oh man! I had a whole post written but then I got a http error and instead of closing the notice X I clicked and accidentally closed the page
why aren't gifs working? is mrsbroken cleaning house again?
not sure what went wrong round abouts your area, Gemma, but I see the gifs and they're all working to my eyes. If you get more strange behavior, try and document the conditions and I'll see if I can replicate or explain, with what little comp expertise I have! No guarantees!

:-P :cool:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:32 pm Gifs working for me :beaming:
if the Queen sayeth, it musth be so!

;)
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:08 pm
Gemma wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:57 pm I'm not that social I can't do anything involving people...passImage
methinks your lil gif-athons say otherwise, Gemma!!! Don't sell yourself short, I'd never have invited ya if I thought you were all fuddy duddy, ya know!!!

Already planning a 'pond show on the road' and got YOU lined up as emcee...heh heh

Don't forget to pick up j.w.Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:09 pm

I ain't picking up no royalty, not when she's got her own carriage to ride in...no, gonna be me walking, as usual, trying to keep up...sigh!!

;) :shock: :lol: :razz: :cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:08 pm
Gemma wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:09 pm

I ain't picking up no royalty, not when she's got her own carriage to ride in...no, gonna be me walking, as usual, trying to keep up...sigh!!

;) :shock: :lol: :razz: :cool:
I'll have you know there will be no slow as a turtle carriage riding for this Queen! I'll be there in no time on the royal motorcycle!

Try keeping up w/me @brokensword but just don't go fallin in the muck cuz I won't be stoppin to pull ya out!
motorcycle gal.gif