Does anyone know this plant?

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Does anyone know this plant?

Post by Gemma »

I came across this Agastache plant (AKA hummingbird's mint) I had never heard of before so I thought I'd start a thread for un known plants Does anyone have this one?
I did a search online but didn't learn anything that's not on the tag
It says it's great for mixed containers, but would it survive the winter in a pot? isn't it something that should be on the tag following: "great for mixed container planting"? Image
On the tag:
Perennial
Zone 5-10
Full sun
Hight 12-20"
Blooms all season
Scented
Attracts butterfly, bees, hummingbirds
Deer and rabbit resistant

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Does anyone know this plant?

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:28 pm I came across this Agastache plant (AKA hummingbird's mint) I had never heard of before so I thought I'd start a thread for un known plants Does anyone have this one?
It says it's great for mixed containers, but would it survive the winter in a pot? isn't it something that should be on the tag following: "great for mixed container planting"? Image
On the tag:
Perennial
Zone 5-10
Full sun
Hight 12-20"
Blooms all season
Scented

dunno.gif
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Gemma wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:28 pm I came across this Agastache plant (AKA hummingbird's mint) I had never heard of before so I thought I'd start a thread for un known plants Does anyone have this one?
On the tag:
Perennial
Zone 5-10
Full sun
Hight 12-20"
Blooms all season
Scented

No, but I can see why hummingbirds would love it...Very pretty:)
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

On the tag:
Perennial
Zone 5-10
Full sun
Hight 12-20"
Blooms all season
Scented

Not one I've ever heard of either; since it SAYS zone 5-10, I suppose it would survive, but were it mine, and especially since it's up to zone 10, I bet it's BARELY zone 5 worthy and would put it in the ground one the south side next to the house to overwinter. Then I think you stand a chance of keeping it for next year.
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:26 am
On the tag:
Perennial
Zone 5-10
Full sun
Hight 12-20"
Blooms all season
Scented

Not one I've ever heard of either; since it SAYS zone 5-10, I suppose it would survive, but were it mine, and especially since it's up to zone 10, I bet it's BARELY zone 5 worthy and would put it in the ground one the south side next to the house to overwinter. Then I think you stand a chance of keeping it for next year.
You're probably right, it would be too good to be true if it survived in a pot like a Hosta or Day Lily
Well I'll let you guys know how it does, you might like to consider it for your garden since it comes in so many different colors, it attracts pollinators, it has a pleasant fragrance and SUPPOSEDLY deer and rabbits don't bother it
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

I love any plant that attract hummingbirds..I will definitely look into getting one..Thanks Gemma!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

rubyduby wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:19 pm I love any plant that attract hummingbirds..I will definitely look into getting one..Thanks Gemma!
Happy to help Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Anyone have the Hardy Gloxinia (Incarvillea delavayi) sometime called "flowering fern"?
I think it's beautiful and wonder why I never heard of this plant before
Tag:
Perennial zone 5-9
Hight 18-23"
Bloom time Late Spring-mid Summer (I wish it bloomed longer)
Here's a pic of the tag, I will post my actual plant when it blooms

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm Anyone have the Hardy Gloxinia (Incarvillea delavayi) sometime called "flowering fern"?
Tag:
Perennial zone 5-9
Hight 18-23"

I used to have a 'regular' gloxinia and I don't remember it having a fern-like appearance. More like an orchid/pansy thing and velvety. Would be nice to have though, esp with the flowers. I tend to put my ferns as backdrops re texture and such. This one would get middle ground (if it stays under 18". Gonna try one this summer?
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:15 pm
Gemma wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm Anyone have the Hardy Gloxinia (Incarvillea delavayi) sometime called "flowering fern"?
Tag:
Perennial zone 5-9
Hight 18-23"

I used to have a 'regular' gloxinia and I don't remember it having a fern-like appearance. More like an orchid/pansy thing and velvety. Would be nice to have though, esp with the flowers. I tend to put my ferns as backdrops re texture and such. This one would get middle ground (if it stays under 18". Gonna try one this summer?
I bought it cause I like to try new plants every year, and I love that color, but I have no idea where I want to put it...that's my dilemma every Spring where to plant what...I waste so much time trying to figure out plants placement Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

I'm growing Agastache Navajo Sunset plants from seed now. I've not grown it before, but from what I have found, it likes well drained soil and sun. If it's planted in heavy soil, it won't come back the next year. Many gardeners mix agricultural sand in the soil when they plant it to make sure it doesn't stay wet.

It's also drought resistant once established. It comes from the southwest, so it likes heat and not a lot of water.

Please keep us posted on how yours does.
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

WetWork wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:37 am I'm growing Agastache Navajo Sunset plants from seed now. I've not grown it before, but from what I have found, it likes well drained soil and sun. If it's planted in heavy soil, it won't come back the next year. Many gardeners mix agricultural sand in the soil when they plant it to make sure it doesn't stay wet.

It's also drought resistant once established. It comes from the southwest, so it likes heat and not a lot of water.

Please keep us posted on how yours does.
In my court next to my chicken coop where the pool used to be is very sandy, I could try planting it there
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond