The Battle against the groundcover continues...

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

The Battle against the groundcover continues...

Post by Gemma »

We're talking Vinca Minor groundcover

Don't fall for the beautiful purple blooms like I did, this is the groundcover from hell!Image
We tried roundup, three times, it killed everything else but this groundcover.
I'm digging a trance around the infested area, to try stopping it from keep on expanding and unless someone has a better idea, I plan on torching this thing Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: The Battle against the groundcover continues...

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:12 am We're talking Vinca Minor groundcover

Don't fall for the beautiful purple blooms like I did, this is the groundcover from hell!Image
We tried roundup, three times, it killed everything else but this groundcover.
I'm digging a trance around the infested area, to try stopping it from keep on expanding and unless someone has a better idea, I plan on torching this thing Image
I think if you can put it in a trance, you won't need the fireworks, Gemma!! heh heh

You know, you COULD just put some landscape cloth over it and about 6" of mulch. Seems a bit safer than torching the hood, but well, you know your neighbors better'n me!

:-P
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@Gemma if you have any rubber liner left like I did or like @brokensword suggested the garden cloth might work too. But that darn stuff can travel underground by it's roots and can come up anywhere. Oh yes I know! You have a lot of it tho. I had it only in a small area and I kept digging down to China every time I saw it coming up in a spot.Good luck and I know you will win eventually as i did.
dighole4.gif
I'm gonna win w/the duckweed too!
rocket.gif
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:17 am

I think if you can put it in a trance, you won't need the fireworks, Gemma!! heh heh

As for your suggestion, I'm too afraid to try it! This thing travels underground, I doubt a blanket and few inches of mulch would stop it, but thank you :D
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:16 am @Gemma if you have any rubber liner left like I did or like @brokensword suggested the garden cloth might work too. But that darn stuff can travel underground by it's roots and can come up anywhere. Oh yes I know! You have a lot of it tho. I had it only in a small area and I kept digging down to China every time I saw it coming up in a spot.Good luck and I know you will win eventually as i did. dighole4.gif

I'm gonna win w/the duckweed too! rocket.gif
It was only 2' around the tree, but when I looked to see where to start digging I realized it had more than double that all around it. My friend who has a landscaping company, suggested grinding the stump and then do the whole area, but neither one of us can guarantee that shooting pieces of it allover the place won't make it spread even faster ...it's a nightmareImage
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@gemma I just found this online and maybe it will help. I see it does say to not let the pieces get out onto other spots, so don't let them fly around.

How to Kill Vinca Minor

The good thing about Vinca minor, or periwinkle, is that it’s a great groundcover, growing quickly to fill in problem areas. These plants even thrive in shady spots with lousy soil, and serve well for erosion control. The bad part is that periwinkles spread beyond their intended boundaries. Vinca quickly rages out of control, even encroaching into forested areas where it crowds out and displaces native plants. Then comes the ugly part--it's difficult if not impossible to eradicate. Gardeners are typically instructed by retailers and extension services to destroy the noxious weed by killing the roots with potent herbicides. If this doesn’t appeal to you, try the old-fashioned approach: time, effort, patience and persistence. Although challenging and time consuming, you can kill those invasive periwinkles without the use of dangerous chemicals.

Dig and pull up all the Vinca that you can by hand. Rake up and destroy all parts of this noxious weed. Don’t leave any of it lying around because these plants root readily from cuttings. You already know that any roots left unattended will sprout up, too. Don’t add Vinca to your compost heap.

Mow or cut remaining plants as close to ground level as possible.

Add 2 oz. liquid hand dishwashing liquid to a gallon of white vinegar. Stir slowly to avoid creating excessive bubbles. Pour into a garden sprayer and apply generously to the cut Vinca plants. The vinegar may not kill the weeds, but it will weaken them. Don’t expose desirable plants to the solution, which kills indiscriminately.

Flood the soil of the affected area with the vinegar solution.

Cut large empty cardboard boxes down into sheets. Cover the Vinca-infested area with cardboard, overlapping the ends of the sheets. If possible, extend the cardboard several feet beyond the perimeter of the affected area to completely deprive the weeds of light. Soak the cardboard with the garden hose.

Pile 6 to 8 inches of compost or shredded mulch on top of the cardboard and walk on it to pack it tightly. Drench it thoroughly with water. This barrier will reduce the weed’s vigor and inhibit growth as it struggles to reach the light.

Pull stray runners that attempt to emerge from beneath the barrier. Keep it packed and heavy with water at all times.

Soak the mulch and cardboard barrier with white vinegar once weekly thereafter and continue to keep it wet until periwinkle shoots stop sprouting up from underneath.

Tip

This method works well for getting rid of pachysandra, too.

You can beat this thing!
sword09.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:05 pm @gemma I just found this online and maybe it will help. I see it does say to not let the pieces get out onto other spots, so don't let them fly around.

How to Kill Vinca Minor

The good thing about Vinca minor, or periwinkle, is that it’s a great groundcover, growing quickly to fill in problem areas. These plants even thrive in shady spots with lousy soil, and serve well for erosion control. The bad part is that periwinkles spread beyond their intended boundaries. Vinca quickly rages out of control, even encroaching into forested areas where it crowds out and displaces native plants. Then comes the ugly part--it's difficult if not impossible to eradicate. Gardeners are typically instructed by retailers and extension services to destroy the noxious weed by killing the roots with potent herbicides. If this doesn’t appeal to you, try the old-fashioned approach: time, effort, patience and persistence. Although challenging and time consuming, you can kill those invasive periwinkles without the use of dangerous chemicals.

Dig and pull up all the Vinca that you can by hand. Rake up and destroy all parts of this noxious weed. Don’t leave any of it lying around because these plants root readily from cuttings. You already know that any roots left unattended will sprout up, too. Don’t add Vinca to your compost heap.

Mow or cut remaining plants as close to ground level as possible.

Add 2 oz. liquid hand dishwashing liquid to a gallon of white vinegar. Stir slowly to avoid creating excessive bubbles. Pour into a garden sprayer and apply generously to the cut Vinca plants. The vinegar may not kill the weeds, but it will weaken them. Don’t expose desirable plants to the solution, which kills indiscriminately.

Flood the soil of the affected area with the vinegar solution.

Cut large empty cardboard boxes down into sheets. Cover the Vinca-infested area with cardboard, overlapping the ends of the sheets. If possible, extend the cardboard several feet beyond the perimeter of the affected area to completely deprive the weeds of light. Soak the cardboard with the garden hose.

Pile 6 to 8 inches of compost or shredded mulch on top of the cardboard and walk on it to pack it tightly. Drench it thoroughly with water. This barrier will reduce the weed’s vigor and inhibit growth as it struggles to reach the light.

Pull stray runners that attempt to emerge from beneath the barrier. Keep it packed and heavy with water at all times.

Soak the mulch and cardboard barrier with white vinegar once weekly thereafter and continue to keep it wet until periwinkle shoots stop sprouting up from underneath.

Tip

This method works well for getting rid of pachysandra, too.

You can beat this thing!

sword09.gif
SEE @Gemma ; other than the depth, told ya some mulch and landscape fabric would work! You can also dig a TRENCH around it to keep the runners from getting away. Hard for anything to grow when it's smothered.

Good find, @j.w !!

:cool: :-P
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

@j.w and @brokensword Thank you both for your suggestions, I guess I can put the torch down and try it your way first Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:20 pm @j.w and @brokensword Thank you both for your suggestions, I guess I can put the torch down and try it your way first Image
wellllll, don't try TOO hard, hey? We're actually making popcorn for when the flames be a blazin', don'tcha know!!!

:-P :roll: :cool:
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

I was planning my next attack for tomorrow, the plan was to work at it all weekend, but it seems the enemy have found a way to stall the operation Image
How long do bunny take to get out of the nest?Image

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:55 am I was planning my next attack for tomorrow, the plan was to work at it all weekend, but it seems the enemy have found a way to stall the operation Image

about 2 weeks; don't ask me how I know... :???:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:55 am I was planning my next attack for tomorrow, the plan was to work at it all weekend, but it seems the enemy have found a way to stall the operation Image

Wonder how long they have been in there? Have you been out there everyday?