The Battle against the groundcover continues...

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Re: The Battle against the groundcover continues...

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:29 pm
Gemma wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:55 am I was planning my next attack for tomorrow, the plan was to work at it all weekend, but it seems the enemy have found a way to stall the operation Image
How long do bunny take to get out of the nest?Image

Wonder how long they have been in there? Have you been out there everyday?
That's a new nest, no doubt about it!
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Yesterday I started pulling the groundcover , I figured by the time I reach the nest 2 weeks have gone by and the bunny would be gone.
Is it just me or is it funny building a vegetable garden around bunny nestsImage
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:22 pm Yesterday I started pulling the groundcover , I figured by the time I reach the nest 2 weeks have gone by and the bunny would be gone.
Is it just me or is it funny building a vegetable garden around bunny nestsImage
Good idea and that would be what I would do also so not just you. I am a sucker for anything animal wise.
Heck I pick up worms and snails as I walk down the roads so they don't get squished
worm-1.gif
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Update:
I used my 3 day weekend and finally was able to eradicated the last of the groundcover.Image
...then I sprayed herbicide 4' around passed the area where I saw the last leaf, just in case, I overlapped cardboard and started covering the whole thing with a thick layer of mulch...now I pray never to see that groundcover again

There will be a lot more cardboard and much going on there before I'm finishedImage
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:06 pm Update:
I used my 3 day weekend and finally was able to eradicated the last of the groundcover.Image
...then I sprayed herbicide 4' around passed the area where I saw the last leaf, just in case, I overlapped cardboard and started covering the whole thing with a thick layer of mulch...now I pray never to see that groundcover again

There will be a lot more cardboard and much going on there before I'm finishedImage
but, did you get it before it bloomed/put out any seeds? I know it spreads by runners but where there's flowers, there's also seeds...jus' sayin'

Oh, for you, Gemma;

screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:42 pm
Gemma wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:06 pm Update:

but, did you get it before it bloomed/put out any seeds? I know it spreads by runners but where there's flowers, there's also seeds...jus' sayin'

Oh, for you, Gemma;

I didn't see more than a handful of blooms small discolored and wilted from the previous herbicide applications so I doubt seedlings will be an issue, but one can only pray
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Hoping for the best that those buggers are gone for good!
whywhywhy3.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:53 pm Hoping for the best that those buggers are gone for good!

whywhywhy3.gif
pray all you like, lil Queenie, but I got it on good authority that SOMEONE was dropping off bags of freshly dug up myrtle into YOUR royal gardens! I can't divulge any identities for fear I may have my to-do/chore list lengthened, don'tcha know! There's more than just koi riders and stall-cleaners roaming about the CAstle now, capiche?

heh heh

That said, pretty sure the voice spoke with a northern accent...

;) :o :shock: :-l :sillybearshock: :cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:38 pm
j.w wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:53 pm Hoping for the best that those buggers are gone for good!

whywhywhy3.gif
pray all you like, lil Queenie, but I got it on good authority that SOMEONE was dropping off bags of freshly dug up myrtle into YOUR royal gardens! I can't divulge any identities for fear I may have my to-do/chore list lengthened, don'tcha know! There's more than just koi riders and stall-cleaners roaming about the CAstle now, capiche?

heh heh

That said, pretty sure the voice spoke with a northern accent...

;) :o :shock: :-l :sillybearshock: :cool:
What's wrong w/having Myrtle trees on the royal grounds? They are beautiful! If it means more work for you than all the better! Bring on the Myrtle's the more the merrier I say!
You will just have to watch where you are going at night when you are out there drinking Mojitos w/@Dimelius when you are supposed to be herding koi and cleaning up gator dung.
Tree bashing.gif
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

Good luck. I loved the stuff up north as erosion control on a slope and it struggled in my Maryland clay soil so wasn't much of a pest. When it was a bit pesky, I pulled and mowed.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

SarahT wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:07 pm Good luck. I loved the stuff up north as erosion control on a slope and it struggled in my Maryland clay soil so wasn't much of a pest. When it was a bit pesky, I pulled and mowed.
"pulled and mowed" @j.w ;sounds like that head of security position you were looking to fill just got a candidate!!

heh

:roll: :o ;)
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

Do you know what type of round up you used? Glyphosate and a surfactant should nuke that - “easily” in two Id think. You could always nuke it, wait for a sunny day for it to start its thing, then pin a tarp down over the area for a week or two. Once chemical is set, tarped, and any heat will eradicate literally everything under the tarp.

You’ll be left w dead barren ground to deal w. A double cross dethatch (not till!!!!!) and a last broadcast of glyphosate and youre good.
You’ll need to wait a bit of time before you can water and reseed, then start and 3way herbicide and pre emergent program.

If not, move as you have a devil property.