Reactions:

Pond Reconstruction Project (+ Bog)

Post by Duxwig »

Reserved for past pics.
Duxwig
Reactions:

Re: Pond Reconstruction Project (+ Bog)

Post by Duxwig »

Back again after some period of reading and ordering. Construction time is near!

Supplies are coming together.
*30x35 RPE liner from BTL Liners
*50' 1 1/2" flex pvc
*4500 gph pump
* Hot air gun, nozzle attachment, and silicone roller to seam the RPE together
* 8" waterfall weir box I need to still get 1" bulkhead fittings for.
* Waterfall foam
* few bricks I'm going to use for support of the shelf walls long term to avoid collapse over time.
*Sch 40 PVC pieces online but ordered threaded ball valves instead of slip, so need to find adapters. I'm crying at ordering the four adapters/shipping and may consider just PVC DWV for these parts.

Weather is in the 30-40's so nice enough to start hacking away at the ground to revamp the mound to include the bog box. Going ground-6" to get 30" total height as otherwise smaller footprint.
Was going to carve down to put the box in, but need to build the tiers for front-face so tearing it all down and rebuilding up around the box.

Headed to get ground contact plywood this weekend to build the box and fit it in. May do a cardboard mach-up first. 43"L x 14"W x 30"D

Pics along the way!

Warmer day. Raised a hidden irrigation head which was 4" under ground and past owners must have missed it entirely. Straightened the border.

RPE Liner came in!

While the mound was up, did an outline of 43x14 for the top of the bog and put the waterfall box in diff poses to see how it'd look later.

Not flat or all the way in, but was trying to get a size reference of the concrete slabs.

It's been rain/snow/mad hail lately but finally two dry days to work! Deconstructing the mound to dig deeper, remove the stones/drainage, put in the bog box structure, flatten the front to river-level. Still work to do, but where I got in 45 mins after work.

This is the cardboard footprint of what the bog box would be for reference as i go - not exact spot or depth or anything.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Duxwig wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:38 am Back again after some period of reading and ordering. Construction time is near!

Supplies are coming together...

...It's been rain/snow/mad hail lately but finally two dry days to work! Deconstructing the mound to dig deeper, remove the stones/drainage, put in the bog box structure, flatten the front to river-level. Still work to do, but where I got in 45 mins after work.
Looks like you got your head around the whole project now, Dux! You'll get a lot better feel after you build and place the bog box. Don't forget if any of your frontage shows, to leave some shelf for rocks to sit on for camo purposes! And give yourself room to work re the dirt; it's easy enough to pull away and put back in places you need it!

Coming along! Do you have a time table for completion? Getting itchy myself to open up the pond but been feeling sick the past bunch of days. I'm aiming for a week from now to take down the tent. Take pics of your progress as it's always interesting to watch a project take shape!

;)
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Great job really getting things done now @Duxwig
Am enjoying watching you put all of this together.
I like how it butts right up against your patio for some great views sitting there when the weather is nice sipping your liquid refreshments.
littlepond.gif
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Yes, you have it in a great spot for viewing:)
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

rubyduby wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:22 pm Yes, you have it in a great spot for viewing:)
see @Duxwig ?? Even us plebes are nodding in approval! Be sure an pull up enough chairs on that patio so we can ALL watch you work, hey?

MMMMUUUUUAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!

:D :-P :cool: :beaming:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

And I will bring plenty of no pineapple pizza's
pizza smiley.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:27 pm
no pizza fix.jpg
no pizza fix.jpg (2.54 KiB) Viewed 831 times

pizza smiley.gif
pizza smiley.gif (4.72 KiB) Viewed 830 times

there; fixed it fer ya!

:grin: :smileyhappy: :lol: :-P :beaming:
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

More progress today.

Cardboard outline a little larger for size of wood but manifold just fits. Pipe will come in from bottom left and the top left is to clean pipe.

Dug the old river shelf deeper/level, dug the inground for the bog box.

Concrete slabs stacked for current height and old liner over the top. Gotta figure out how many slabs to go across exactly.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Duxwig wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:24 am More progress today.

Cardboard outline a little larger for size of wood but manifold just fits. Pipe will come in from bottom left and the top left is to clean pipe.

Concrete slabs stacked for current height and old liner over the top. Gotta figure out how many slabs to go across exactly.
Making progress, I see!

The bog inlet will be via bulkhead fitting, yes? Have you made sure you have enough threads (length of fit-thru-piece' to span inside to outside and still get the nut to snug tight? If you're using ply, that's 1/2" min and prob you're using 3/4". Too, the liner has to be pinched by the rubber seal on the bulkhead. If going through the box, I'd put some sort of union right inside so you can take out the whole manifold if you ever need to. At the bottom, you won't be able to 'unscrew' anything once you use any glue/primer joints. A union will allow you to build the manifold (incl riser) and it be a separate piece. You should have a union on the back side, probably after your ball valve, for similar reasons (in case you need to disconnect the hose).

Will you be tee'ing off the input line, adding a valve to another lead that goes to the weir? With the weir, you won't need the union (as you can easily 'unscrew' it from the attached hose (as opposed to the manifold). That said, it WOULD be easier to use a union there, too, but not as necessary, imo.

Good thing conc slabs are cheap, hey? Get more than you need as you can use them for other purposes or even as 'shelves on your 'hill' which you'll cover with the liner. I still have a few laying round from my expansion and they come in handy.

:cool:
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

brokensword wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:49 am
Duxwig wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:24 am More progress today.

Making progress, I see!

The bog inlet will be via bulkhead fitting, yes? Have you made sure you have enough threads (length of fit-thru-piece' to span inside to outside and still get the nut to snug tight? If you're using ply, that's 1/2" min and prob you're using 3/4". Too, the liner has to be pinched by the rubber seal on the bulkhead. If going through the box, I'd put some sort of union right inside so you can take out the whole manifold if you ever need to. At the bottom, you won't be able to 'unscrew' anything once you use any glue/primer joints. A union will allow you to build the manifold (incl riser) and it be a separate piece. You should have a union on the back side, probably after your ball valve, for similar reasons (in case you need to disconnect the hose).

Will you be tee'ing off the input line, adding a valve to another lead that goes to the weir? With the weir, you won't need the union (as you can easily 'unscrew' it from the attached hose (as opposed to the manifold). That said, it WOULD be easier to use a union there, too, but not as necessary, imo.

Good thing conc slabs are cheap, hey? Get more than you need as you can use them for other purposes or even as 'shelves on your 'hill' which you'll cover with the liner. I still have a few laying round from my expansion and they come in handy.

:cool:
I misspoke a bit. Bulk bead possibly for weir. It has a 1” hole. The barb is 1/2 or 3/4 IIRC.
I may also saw the spillway shorter due to the available space, those are some precious inches but will deal with it later.

I’ll draw a picture of what I had thought of regarding the line, Tee, valve, union etc.

Plan the liner to go up, over the box, and only bulk being at the weir.

Expanded bog another 3 inches lol. Trench is a tad deeper than desired but allows max I can make it is 33” vs 30” tall. Win!?

Once I put the box in place, need to stack some bricks to get this vision going.
Not sure the finish date. I get 15 minutes here, 5 there, 30 here, 2 hours there. Lol. Def goal is before June but who knows?
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

Here is a drawing of what I had planned inside the box for tubing and etc

Didn’t draw in the flea out, but on the other side coming up where flex comes in, is pipe coming up.