j.w's frog pond

j.w
Reactions:

j.w's frog pond

Post by j.w »

My frog/wildlife pond up and running Spring of 2021
It's about 8ft long and 3 to 4ft wide in places and only about a foot deep.
Started w/putting Duckweed in it and a couple lilies, some Anacharis, Parrots Feather and Floating Hearts.
I believe the Hearts have a yellow flower and hopefully they will bloom this year.

May 15, 2021

May 26, 2021
Look at that Duckweed spreading like crazy!
j.w
Reactions:

Re: j.w's frog pond

Post by j.w »

Now it's July 29, 2021
I have removed some of the Duckweed to make room for the other plants to grow.

Darn Duckweed will take over again if I let it!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Oct 30, 2021
Wind storm came and blew Banana plant leaves etc. into the pond trying to cover up the Parrot's Feather.

j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

March 16, 2022
Taking plants out so I can get rid of that Duckweed. Can't have it in there as it monopolizes everything.

Trying my hardest to let the Parrots Feather stay but looks like I will need to remove it also as the Duckweed is intermingled all in and around it, stuck in it all.

The Water Lilies can stay in the little tray as no Duckweed in it.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

April 6, 2022
Duckweed is out except for a few strays that I need to pluck out each day w/my long handled aquarium net.

Notice I had to remove all the small rocks stuck in between the bigger rocks everywhere as the Duckweed likes to hide in the cracks.

It's like I'm starting all over again, sheesh!

j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

I just made a net for the top of the pond to keep out all the leaves etc. in the Fall and Winter.
Made it out of black tubing and zip tied bird netting to it all the way around. Think I may stick some stiffer tubing across the middle in maybe 3 spots to strengthen it. Now just hope raccoons etc. don't try walking on it!

Hard to see but the net is on both the photos.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:08 pm Oct 30, 2021
Wind storm came and blew Banana plant leaves etc. into the pond trying to cover up the Parrot's Feather.

love seeing your parrot's feather, j.w! I wish the fish wouldn't eat it so easily as I used to have a good growth on the pond, when I had only small goldfish. Now, and that's if what I left outside survives, I have a bit in the bog(s) that didn't really do much last year. We'll see, but love the frog pond!

(sorry was absent today; felt more sick than yesterday and hoping tomorrow is better!)
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:22 pm April 6, 2022
Duckweed is out except for a few strays that I need to pluck out each day w/my long handled aquarium net.

Notice I had to remove all the small rocks stuck in between the bigger rocks everywhere as the Duckweed likes to hide in the cracks.

It's like I'm starting all over again, sheesh!

looks real nice! And I like your pics--the angles and way you used the light! Very good. Where did you get al the flat-ish rocks? Hopefully you'll have some frogs (and pics thereof!) this summer!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword well there you are. Thought you might be resting up in your sick bed. Hope all is well w/both you and T. I know today is your sporty day so enjoy it.
I will post more on my little frog pond as it matures.
I will add the plants back when the duckweed appears to be gone, notice I said appears? :roll:
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

j.w wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:27 pm I just made a net for the top of the pond to keep out all the leaves etc. in the Fall and Winter.
Made it out of black tubing and zip tied bird netting to it all the way around. Think I may stick some stiffer tubing across the middle in maybe 3 spots to strengthen it. Now just hope raccoons etc. don't try walking on it!

Hard to see but the net is on both the photos.
Wow, your frog pond is beautiful j.w...Do you have a lot of tadpoles in there? I ordered some from The Pond Guy and they are due next week...I love frogs...If you read The Sixth Extinction you know just how dour the situation is with our amphibians...
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Thank you @rubyduby I don't think I will have any this year due to me fighting off the duckweed every day. I took all the plants out except for the lilys. It's pretty much a blank slate start over again so maybe next year the tads will come hopefully.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

I had to take all the flat rocks off the top edge of the frog pond today as that darn Duckweed was hiding under and all around them. Now I think I can get it out better as no where for it to hide. It floats up to the top and I will grab it up each day w/my net.

Have all the plants in tubs just waiting.

Floating Hearts

Anacharis

Parrots Feather

Then I will also need to fix my leaf net for that pond for Fall. Gonna take that thick black tubing and cut it and make 3 crosswise braces for the net.