good bacterisa

solaria5505
Reactions:

good bacterisa

Post by solaria5505 »

i saw someone mention good bacteira should I add some now before the weather gets too warm?
darkmuse
Reactions:

Re: good bacterisa

Post by darkmuse »

From what I know, a lot of the bottled bacteria sold by pond stores isn't even alive so I'd not waste my money.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

solaria5505 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:42 pm i saw someone mention good bacteira should I add some now before the weather gets too warm?
I've never used the store bought kind of bacteria. I just let my pond sit for a good long time, added some plants and waited several weeks before adding any fish. Then only add just a few at a time and quarantine any new ones after that before adding again. I hear some have used something called Prime to their ponds before adding fish but I have never done that as I have well water. Think tho it is more of a conditioner for Chlorine etc. as I don't have that in our water.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

like @j.w suggests, you don't really need to buy anything; just submerge a pot of soil and you have your bacteria! Anything that blows in, will have bacteria on it. Annnnnd, most of the time, what they sell in a bottle isn't even alive, so...no great benefit if any at all and a waste of your money. No shortage of live bacteria all around you. I've even heard (cover your eyes) that some peeps pee in the pond to get the cycle started...true dat!

:shock: :o ;) :roll: :-P :cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

I always wondered about bacteria in a bottle but thought they could live on almost anything and live. I guess they still need something to consume and eventually, there's nothing left in the bottle for that to happen. Good to know.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword I heard that also about peeing in the pond.
It prolly works tho but not for me. I like the pot of soil idea :D
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:24 pm @brokensword I heard that also about peeing in the pond.
It prolly works tho but not for me. I like the pot of soil idea :D
can't deny the science @j.w ! Heh, isn't that what they keep tellin' us?

But so easy to remember bacteria isn't a luxury thing; it's everywhere. Funny how everyone knows this if it comes to sicknesses etc but as soon as someone mentions ponds and 'bottled bacteria', the oooohs and ahhhhhs, dribble on out!

The peeing int the pool is the same as the ammonia cycle start; it's all biology. Ooops, wait, I can't say THAT either, can I??? I'm NOT a biologist...

:shock: :roll: ;)
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
TheFishGuy
Reactions:

Post by TheFishGuy »

Agree with all here, the bacteria in a bottle isnt really needed. I know it is used widely in the aquairum hobby ( I am guilty of it too ) but then again people legit pee in their reef tanks to get them started so you might not want to take advice from them...
solaria5505
Reactions:

Post by solaria5505 »

j.w wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:11 pm
solaria5505 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:42 pm i saw someone mention good bacteira should I add some now before the weather gets too warm?
I've never used the store bought kind of bacteria. I just let my pond sit for a good long time, added some plants and waited several weeks before adding any fish. Then only add just a few at a time and quarantine any new ones after that before adding again. I hear some have used something called Prime to their ponds before adding fish but I have never done that as I have well water. Think tho it is more of a conditioner for Chlorine etc. as I don't have that in our water.
I use a dechlorinator but forget what its called. I don't have a welll so have ot do something for chlorine. Thank you for the advice. :D
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

solaria5505 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:07 pm
j.w wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:11 pm
I use a dechlorinator but forget what its called. I don't have a welll so have ot do something for chlorine. Thank you for the advice. :D
Yep ya gotta put that dechlor stuff in every time you add new city water.
Fortunately the castle has it's own Kingdom well water and we supply all w/free water...........
but oh the people pay their taxes to us each year don't ya know :sillybearshock:
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

darkmuse wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:12 pm I always wondered about bacteria in a bottle but thought they could live on almost anything and live. I guess they still need something to consume and eventually, there's nothing left in the bottle for that to happen. Good to know.
My thinking is...don't bacteria need oxygen to stay alive? How can those micro live so long in a sealed bottle, or even better in dry powder form?Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Good question @Gemma and who knows?
thinking34.gif