Bog Build

poconojoe
Reactions:

Re: Bog Build

Post by poconojoe »

j.w wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:44 pm
brokensword wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:12 am
rubyduby wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:31 pm This is a terrific explanation for those thinking of incorporating a bog into their system...it is the way to go, that's for sure...but since I could not have one I will remain envious!
you and @j.w ; I'm gonna wear both of you down until you beg to have a bog! heh heh, just watch!

You know, you can always have planter style 'bogs' and can turn that area above your waterfall (if I remember it correctly) into some sort of biofilter-boglike beastie, ya know! It may take a couple pond seasons, but that ol' LPS thing will kick in, you'll scrutinize your yard, figure; hmm, don't REALLY need THAT tree...can expand THAT way...squeeze in a perfect lil bog filter THERE and voila! got brokensword off my back!

yeah, that's the way I see it going...! :shock: :D :o :mrgreen: :-P :cool:
I really doubt you can change my mind but nice try. I am all for less no more projects for the pond deals. Getting more aged to perfection each year but my lazy bones are coming out also :arrow:
Don't think of it as another project. More like a much better way to filter with almost zero maintenance.
The fact that not having to constantly rinse out filters and filter pads to me outweighs the work needed for the initial build.
Snoozer
Reactions:

Post by Snoozer »

Hoping that I can ask a couple quick questions. I have a start on a 12x10 bog, hoping to dig down 18 inches but i think the tree roots are going to win this battle. How many diffusers do you think I would need? What size pump would you recommend? The bog is an add-on this year and I already have two 4,000GPH pumps in a skimmer that are feeding the header pond for the waterfall and stream.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Hi @Snoozer I don't have a bog so can't help ya but just wanted to say:
leaves.gif
Others who have bogs will come to your rescue soon.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Snoozer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:44 pm Hoping that I can ask a couple quick questions. I have a start on a 12x10 bog, hoping to dig down 18 inches but i think the tree roots are going to win this battle. How many diffusers do you think I would need? What size pump would you recommend? The bog is an add-on this year and I already have two 4,000GPH pumps in a skimmer that are feeding the header pond for the waterfall and stream.
Hello Snoozer, nice to see you again!

Bog questions? Our specialty...

You'll find the tree roots are a problem if you're close to the trunk but anything toward the drip edge should be easy enough to deal with. And if you do encounter them, just take an ax/hatchet and cut them away. If you're very near the tree trunk, then yes, you will have to decide if you want to go over or not. You CAN dig to the sides of any large root and be fine; you're looking for volume and this gives you the most SSA.

For a 12 x 10, I'd put a manifold every 3 feet, so in your case, at the 3,5,9 mark. That should give you adequate outflow. Remember, water is going to find it's way and that's usually the path of least resistance. IF the stone right above the manifold is closest and therefore easiest, eventually that portion will be partially clogged and this then shuttles the water to the sides. Eventually, the water will work it's way up everywhere. What I did was to use large stone on the bottom, then mid-size stone, then the pea gravel. I have 12" of each. And I LIKE to promote deeper bogs, just because of the volume attained. And digging down 3' isn't that bad, unless you have a lot of rock. Then, I'd just build on top the grade and find a way to integrate this above-ground box into the landscape. Or, like I did, go half and half; in the ground and ON the ground. Mine is actually 12" above and 24" below grade.

I like to recommend multiple pumps for redundancy but you CAN go with the trick a pro taught me; increase the outlet pipe AT the pump outlet to twice the size as it comes with. Then, add a wye, then reduce back to the original size. This gives you TWO leads and better efficiency. So, you could split a pump you have, or get one dedicated just for the bog, but I'd still work in this trick. This way, you could take two leads and hook them directly to your bog (or elsewhere).

For size, I'd say you'd be good to get a pump that is the same gallonage per hour as your pond. Again, ball valves can cut that limit if you so desire. They say to push water slower but I've seen too many examples of fast flow into bogs and they still do the job to worry much about that. I think I have approx 4K going into my bog (pond is 7K). Just to give you an example.
Be sure you have a ball valve at the bog so you can control each/every lead going in re volume. Check out the designs we have here and if any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Again, nice to see you again!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Snoozer
Reactions:

Post by Snoozer »

Thanks for the reply and thanks also for your help last year when I had a huge fish die off. Happy to say that this spring I had no floaters!

Now, back to what i came her for. I will install 3 manifold and keep on digging. I am putting the bog where there is a loose river rock sitting area. Easy enough to move that 3 inches of rock but under that was the 2-6 inches, depending on where i dug, of recycled asphalt that my son brought in to give a base for the stones. Seemed like such a good idea 15 years ago when digging didn't seem that difficult. So that has been moved and now i get to dig through my favorite, clay! I am no spring chicken any more and digging isn't quite as easy as it was when i was in my 50's.

I am thinking that I will purchase a separate pump for the bog. Current pumps are in a skimmer, which I need to clean the maple tree seeds out of again, as usual. The pumps in the skimmer feed the 4 foot wide waterfall and the stream that starts with a 2 foot wide waterfall. I don't want to have to dig up those pipe and start cutting and splicing. My thought was to get a 2,500 gph pump for the bog, would that size work or should i get something a bit bigger?

Do i need to use different size stone or would just pea gravel work? i do have the pile of the river rock that is 1-1 1/2 inch that i could put over the manifold. Would that work? I guess that whatever i do will work but i don't want to mess up too much.

I am looking forward to the bog and additional plants that are hopefully a bit easier to yank out of pea gravel that from under the large rocks/boulders in the pond. Some plants are, lets call them more hardy than others since invasive is so negative, than others.
Attachments
dig2.jpg
dig2.jpg (415.21 KiB) Viewed 713 times
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Snoozer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:57 am Thanks for the reply and thanks also for your help last year when I had a huge fish die off. Happy to say that this spring I had no floaters!

Now, back to what i came her for. I will install 3 manifold and keep on digging. I am putting the bog where there is a loose river rock sitting area. Easy enough to move that 3 inches of rock but under that was the 2-6 inches, depending on where i dug, of recycled asphalt that my son brought in to give a base for the stones. Seemed like such a good idea 15 years ago when digging didn't seem that difficult. So that has been moved and now i get to dig through my favorite, clay! I am no spring chicken any more and digging isn't quite as easy as it was when i was in my 50's.

I am thinking that I will purchase a separate pump for the bog. Current pumps are in a skimmer, which I need to clean the maple tree seeds out of again, as usual. The pumps in the skimmer feed the 4 foot wide waterfall and the stream that starts with a 2 foot wide waterfall. I don't want to have to dig up those pipe and start cutting and splicing. My thought was to get a 2,500 gph pump for the bog, would that size work or should i get something a bit bigger?

Do i need to use different size stone or would just pea gravel work? i do have the pile of the river rock that is 1-1 1/2 inch that i could put over the manifold. Would that work? I guess that whatever i do will work but i don't want to mess up too much.

I am looking forward to the bog and additional plants that are hopefully a bit easier to yank out of pea gravel that from under the large rocks/boulders in the pond. Some plants are, lets call them more hardy than others since invasive is so negative, than others.

You're quite welcome; always happy to help if I can.

I hear you re age and digging; had my son help for MY expansion and was glad he did. Clay is what we had, too, so I understand totally. That asphalt base for sure would make ME grimace! Try to do any clay digging when it's a bit wet, not hard and dry; much much more conducive to being dug up! And if you can hire some entrepreneurial young people to help, I'd enlist their aid; the money would be worth it! Or maybe see about renting a small digger from the big box store? Heard they're fun to use and don't cost that much.

IF you can, I'd go with graduated round rock for this reason; The plants only need the 12" of pea gravel and using larger stone below will lessen chances of clogging as well as anaerobic conditions. The larger rock will have larger spaces between them, so water will still move and some settling can occur, esp if you use 8" as the first layer as I did. Using the larger rock is like Aquablox, but a whole lot cheaper. Not as much 'open area' but still very functional. Here's something else I did that you may want to consider; I didn't use sched 40 pvc for my manifolds, I used 4" drain piping (the corrugated black pipe, the version without holes) and put my slits in that. What this gives is a larger diam pipe so it won't clog nearly as easily, it also helps the water slow and some solids settle out, and it's a lot cheaper--you can get a whole 50' roll for under $50 at Home Depot. You then just need an adaptor to mate the flex pvc to the corrugated drain pipe. I used a fernco adaptor and some sched 40 inserts but I THINK they have a one piece adaptor (been a while and that was my first bog).

You CAN use all pea gravel--addy did her bog that way but I'd still be leery because the thicker it is, the more chance of eventual clogging. Now, pea gravel is easy to move so that's a benefit (as opposed to trying to move/remove the larger stone; trust me, I've had to do it and the pea gravel was the easy layer!). If you go deeper as I did, then start to consider the shape and design more of your bog.

Some tips are; shape your walls to a 'V' so if you have to backflush, the water goes toward a central point. For easy cleaning/backflushing, mate up the manifolds to a low point and put in some sort of snorkel. It has to be large enough diameter to admit an aux pump to be lowered into it for ease of cleaning. You CAN use a larger diam drain pipe for this, but you may have to buy a 10' piece and it won't be cheap. What I did for bog v1 was to use a bunch of empty cat litter buckets I had to build me a 40" snorkel/vault. It was nice and rectangular and my sump pump fit in easily. For bog v2 I did it differently; because I was going to house my flag iris, I wanted a larger diam 'pot' for them and used a 30 gallon plastic garbage can; get a sturdy one or double up. I decided to also make THIS my vault. So, I did NOT connect my manifolds to this pot (there's holes in the bottom, 4" or so, to let water in) but instead, put it at the very lowest point understanding that any water will move to it naturally.

The way you clean a bog, should you ever have to, is to use your pond pump (high gallonage, good pressure, LOTS of volume) and you force water DOWN through the top. It then takes all the clogging detritus and whatnot down with it and it flows to the low point--your vault. A separte pump (the aux pump I spoke of) then pumps it out. I was told a typical cleanout/backflush process takes 2-3 times until clear water is achieved. The idea is you back force water, empty the bog, do it again until your bog water runs clean. And you'd move your top pump feed over the top pea gravel, forcing here there etc to get it all.

Hopefully, you'll never need to do this, but it helps if your bog is already prepared for such an event with 'V' shaped sides, a low point, a good sized vault, and an aux pump available. Too, the deeper you go, the more volume you have/the more SSA you have, which is why a bog works so well.

All that said, of course you'll still get a lot of benefit from JUST 12" of pea gravel--many have done this with success.

And don't forget; your bog walls and back should be at least 6" higher than the front/overpour as the water WILL rise over time and you don't want it leaking out. Too, consider some anti-siphon mechanism for when the power goes out; easy method is to drill a 3/8" hole at the high point of your bog inlet feed pipe. Make sure this hole in the pipe is OVER your liner/bog. Another tip is to have a ball valve AT the bog inlet so you can control how much water goes in.

I think were the bog mine, I'd go with a larger pump just because you're planning a huge bog (mine is 20' x 3' x 3' deep and I send about 4K gallons to it with a positive water overflow but nothing bursting etc. You can get a cheaper 4K pump from Harbor Freight; check it out.

Any concerns or clarifications, ask away!
Snoozer
Reactions:

Post by Snoozer »

Thanks so much @brokensword , such a great explanation. I understand now why the graduated sizes of stone was used so I will go this route also. Now the search for free 5-8 inch rock for the first layer begins. I may ask a co-worker what is in the tree line behind her house and go rock hunting. Need to talk my son into giving his good old mom his nice big truck to haul any treasures that I may find in the tree line.

I will look at options for the manifold. I know corrugated is cheaper but doesn't it slow the water from moving through? Also need to see what Harbor Freight has for pumps. The Pond Guy has a 3,600 pump that i was thinking may work also. Lots of digging before i get to that point though but i did order a liner, so no turning back from giving myself more work to keep me out of trouble.

I am fairly sure that as I move forward, more questions will pop into my brain and onto this page.

Thanks again for your explanations.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Snoozer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:50 am Thanks so much @brokensword , such a great explanation. I understand now why the graduated sizes of stone was used so I will go this route also. Now the search for free 5-8 inch rock for the first layer begins. I may ask a co-worker what is in the tree line behind her house and go rock hunting. Need to talk my son into giving his good old mom his nice big truck to haul any treasures that I may find in the tree line.

I will look at options for the manifold. I know corrugated is cheaper but doesn't it slow the water from moving through? Also need to see what Harbor Freight has for pumps. The Pond Guy has a 3,600 pump that i was thinking may work also. Lots of digging before i get to that point though but i did order a liner, so no turning back from giving myself more work to keep me out of trouble.

I am fairly sure that as I move forward, more questions will pop into my brain and onto this page.

Thanks again for your explanations.
you're quite welcome.

I'm pretty sure if a nice 2 layer cake or a homemade pie magically appears the next time your son visits, that truck is as good as yours!!! Or, you can just give the 'for 18 years I sacrificed more than you can imagine just so you could play baseball/football/basketball/hockey every year!' You know, some good ol' fashioned parental guilt! Works like a charm! heh heh

Well, since they say slower through the bog is better, in some ways, the larger corrugated tube provides more of that than 2" pvc, you know? I liked the idea simply because it would clog less, was cheaper, and easy to work with. Water flows just fine from my vantage point. And this idea isn't mine; I got it from a pond professional on my first build, so it's been vetted. Talked to the guy once, well after I built the pond and bog v1, for like 5 hours. The guy liked to talk and was interesting. He is/was based out of Alabama and I used his ideas from his web page which had pictures. I actually chided him in that he did NOT make it clear that the bog sides should be 'V' shaped (which I did on bog v2)!! Interesting chap with lots of stories.

Another thing to consider is since the corrugated pipe is really flexible, you COULD go with one large concentric circle instead of 3 leg manifolds and this would mean less parts; just need something for any vault (if you choose) or a cap, but even if you did NOT use a vault, I'd take the end of this pipe and bring it to the bog surface and then cap it there just so you could force clean the actual manifold this way. A natural riser for cleaning out the pipe, if not for backflushing the whole bog. Just an idea that occurred as I type.

Some go with sturdy plastic milk crates instead of Aquablox or the 8" stone, but I like the stone for it's structural stability. And you don't need a lot of them, just enough to cover your manifold by a layer or so. Can do more, tis up to you and what you want to put into this. I just went with the 12" of each per the guy's webpage pictorial.

Another idea to consider is what I did with my inputs for bog v2; I knew I'd have two pumps in the pond and I'd want to sent that water (both) to the bog, so I actually have TWO 4" manifolds, one for each pump. In your case, you could divide this into halves as well. You're not forced to get two pumps to provide water to your bog, but you may want to depending on how everything works out for you. In this case, IF you had two inputs, you could add that extra pump. You could also force two pumps into one pipe, esp if you go larger (4"), but it would take some pvc pieces to get you there. I figure, since everything is open and easy, making two leads makes sense for the future. You can tie these two inlets, as noted, and later, untie to give you that second pump option. There's choices but a lot easier now before you cover everything with rock, ya know!!!
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

Hey 'sword....
I like how you used some of by pictures for that video! It just amazes me how you do that! Especially how you added each stone, one by one for the outline wall! Cool!

Anyway, if I were to do it all over, I would connect the two clean-out stacks with a wye and a valve for each. Then run a single pipe from that wye to somewhere outside the bog, preferably into a garden for fertilizing. The end of that pipe would have a screw-on cap. Doing that would make it so much easier when you want to do a flush. Just take off the screw-on cap and open one valve at a time. No need to shut the pump off to do the flush.

It can still be done after the fact. One day I'm gonna get myself in gear and do this.

Right now, I have to shut the pump, open one cap, jam a piece of hose into the pipe aimed out of the bog, turn the pump back on and when the black water turns clear in a few seconds turn off the pump and replace the cap. Then repeat for the second clean-out stack.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

poconojoe wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:14 pm Hey 'sword....
I like how you used some of by pictures for that video! It just amazes me how you do that! Especially how you added each stone, one by one for the outline wall! Cool!

Anyway, if I were to do it all over, I would connect the two clean-out stacks with a wye and a valve for each. Then run a single pipe from that wye to somewhere outside the bog, preferably into a garden for fertilizing. The end of that pipe would have a screw-on cap. Doing that would make it so much easier when you want to do a flush. Just take off the screw-on cap and open one valve at a time. No need to shut the pump off to do the flush.

It can still be done after the fact. One day I'm gonna get myself in gear and do this.

Right now, I have to shut the pump, open one cap, jam a piece of hose into the pipe aimed out of the bog, turn the pump back on and when the black water turns clear in a few seconds turn off the pump and replace the cap. Then repeat for the second clean-out stack.
didn't even realize that's 'your' place, PJ! Just needed something generic that showed the basics to generate some further discussion. I don't even HAVE stacks for cleanouts on mine, but seems many do, so used that as the example. I think most are of the opinion bogs are complex and/or a lot of work. Definitely NOT complex, hence the vid. But yeah, I'd definitely have SOMETHING on those stacks to direct the muck water OUT of the pond. As is, I guess it just falls back into the bog, hey? THAT'S why it's good to have you here--catching nuances and suggesting fixes for those that read the thread! PLEASE feel free to post up YOUR bog build and explain everything you did; more examples (esp with pics!) helps everyone. And I can't get either Ruby or j.w to move toward adding a bog and posting THEIR build, ya know? Dames!! heh heh

:-P :roll: :cool:
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

brokensword wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:33 pm
poconojoe wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:14 pm Hey 'sword....

didn't even realize that's 'your' place, PJ! Just needed something generic that showed the basics to generate some further discussion. I don't even HAVE stacks for cleanouts on mine, but seems many do, so used that as the example. I think most are of the opinion bogs are complex and/or a lot of work. Definitely NOT complex, hence the vid. But yeah, I'd definitely have SOMETHING on those stacks to direct the muck water OUT of the pond. As is, I guess it just falls back into the bog, hey? THAT'S why it's good to have you here--catching nuances and suggesting fixes for those that read the thread! PLEASE feel free to post up YOUR bog build and explain everything you did; more examples (esp with pics!) helps everyone. And I can't get either Ruby or j.w to move toward adding a bog and posting THEIR build, ya know? Dames!! heh heh

:-P :roll: :cool:
No problem. I'll post up my bog add-on when I get a few minutes.