Gemma's Houseplants

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Gemma's Houseplants

Post by Gemma »

Well the garden is getting ready to go dormant so while I wait for next Spring why not post about houseplants
Lets start with my new Lucky Shamrock :cheesyGrin:

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Gemma's Houseplants

Post by j.w »

Very pretty blooms! I have very few houseplants left. I gave a bunch away and now if any die I don't replace. I had a ton and took forever to water them all. Now the reason I cut back is cuz we are planning on going away maybe for the winters and I don't want someone to have to water them all anymore.
I have this cactus type one that addy on GPF gave me. It was a start off of her mom's plant. It's supposed to get yellow blooms but so far after several years none.

This one (Hoya) is one of my faves!

Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:31 pm Very pretty blooms! I have very few houseplants left. I gave a bunch away and now if any die I don't replace. I had a ton and took forever to water them all. Now the reason I cut back is cuz we are planning on going away maybe for the winters and I don't want someone to have to water them all anymore.
I have this cactus type one that addy on GPF gave me. It was a start off of her mom's plant. It's supposed to get yellow blooms but so far after several years none.

Wow your Hoya is so big/long
I'm new to this kind of Hoya, how fast does it grow and how often do you water yours?
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Here's a few more, I recently resized some of them so that's why they are so small
Spider Plant

Parlor Palm (I think)

Ponytail Palm (I think)

Pace Lily (I have 2)

The next three are some sort of succulents, I don't know their name but I would like to so I can research and learn how to properly care for them.... do they bloom etc

succulent #1

succulent #2

succulent #3
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:04 pm Here's a few more, I recently resized some of them so that's why they are so small
Spider Plant

Parlor Palm (I think)

Ponytail Palm (I think)

Pace Lily (I have 2)

The next three are some sort of succulents, I don't know their name but I would like to so I can research and learn how to properly care for them.... do they bloom etc

succulent #1

succulent #2

succulent #3
That would be 'Peace Lily'.

Yes, the succulents bloom; they get long, tall, drooping stems with itty bitty little flowers. Nothing to write home about. You grow these for the 'leaves', not flowers. With most succulents, you can water once a week or even less. They are halfway to cactus (which need even less water). Easy peasy to take care of, trust me. What about the Vanda??? Don't see any pics of THAT yet! Ya gonna mount it to cork? If you put it in a pot, use large bark, not the typical orchid mix. Most orchids like lots of air about their roots, which have a thick 'vellum' around them to absorb water from the air. Typically, in the basement, I drench with the hose (as the momma your vanda came from is in a hanging basket and totally open). You can mist the roots and do so with very very weak amount of liquid fertilizer in it. The vanda can take more sun than others, but I always kept it in dappled sunshine outside and directly under the fluorescent lights in the basement. It should bloom reliably for you as mine always has. Quite a show when it does. I'm pretty sure there's some pics in my Showcase thread.

Btw, that third pic succulent; it'll get smallish red blooms on a sorta tallish stemp (not as tall as the first two) and the flowers are much nicer to look at than either 1 or 2.

They're looking good, Gemma!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:53 pm
What about the Vanda??? Don't see any pics of THAT yet! Ya gonna mount it to cork? If you put it in a pot, use large bark, not the typical orchid mix. Most orchids like lots of air about their roots, which have a thick 'vellum' around them to absorb water from the air. Typically, in the basement, I drench with the hose (as the momma your vanda came from is in a hanging basket and totally open). You can mist the roots and do so with very very weak amount of liquid fertilizer in it. The vanda can take more sun than others, but I always kept it in dappled sunshine outside and directly under the fluorescent lights in the basement. It should bloom reliably for you as mine always has. Quite a show when it does. I'm pretty sure there's some pics in my Showcase thread.

Btw, that third pic succulent; it'll get smallish red blooms on a sorta tallish stemp (not as tall as the first two) and the flowers are much nicer to look at than either 1 or 2.

Here's the Vanda...as you can see I tried to mimic the way the professional who gave it to me had it :cheesyGrin:
One of my sisters (I have 7) collects Orchids, she has at least a hundred, I might try wrap it on a piece of wood like some of hers.
So excited to learn that some of these plants bloom...I love them so much, I can't wait to see blooms and I'm so grateful!Image

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:08 pm
brokensword wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:53 pm
What about the Vanda??? Don't see any pics of THAT yet! Ya gonna mount it to cork? If you put it in a pot, use large bark, not the typical orchid mix. Most orchids like lots of air about their roots, which have a thick 'vellum' around them to absorb water from the air. Typically, in the basement, I drench with the hose (as the momma your vanda came from is in a hanging basket and totally open). You can mist the roots and do so with very very weak amount of liquid fertilizer in it. The vanda can take more sun than others, but I always kept it in dappled sunshine outside and directly under the fluorescent lights in the basement. It should bloom reliably for you as mine always has. Quite a show when it does. I'm pretty sure there's some pics in my Showcase thread.

Here's the Vanda...as you can see I tried to mimic the way the professional who gave it to me had it :cheesyGrin:
One of my sisters (I have 7) collects Orchids, she has at least a hundred, I might try wrap it on a piece of wood like some of hers.
So excited to learn that some of these plants bloom...I love them so much, I can't wait to see blooms and I'm so grateful!Image

you'll really like when it blooms, then; was always one of my favorites. And that 'professor' actually has his in an OPEN basket so the roots get lots of air. Be careful re that one that you don't overwater. If your sis has any vandas/phals, she'll edumacate you real fast!!

It's easy to kill orchids with kindness; ask me how I know!

:roll: :cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:44 pm
j.w wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:31 pm Very pretty blooms! I have very few houseplants left. I gave a bunch away and now if any die I don't replace. I had a ton and took forever to water them all. Now the reason I cut back is cuz we are planning on going away maybe for the winters and I don't want someone to have to water them all anymore.

I'm new to this kind of Hoya, how fast does it grow and how often do you water yours?
The Hoya is partly variegated w/partly all white leaves too. It didn't take too long to get growing good. I moved it once from my book case to the windows as I think it wanted more light. I water it every couple weeks.It's prolly over 20 yrs old or more! It likes to be sorta damp and never dried out.

IMG_0356.JPG

Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:26 pm And that 'professor' actually has his in an OPEN basket so the roots get lots of air.

My basket is open too...it is made of thin bark, it's empty and it has holes all around it, you can see the roots are starting to come through the holes

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:55 pm

The Hoya is partly variegated w/partly all white leaves too. It didn't take too long to get growing good. I moved it once from my book case to the windows as I think it wanted more light. I water it every couple weeks.It's prolly over 20 yrs old or more! It likes to be sorta damp and never dried out.

IMG_0356.JPG

I like the white leaves, at the first glance I thought they were blooms...very pretty! :!:
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:15 pm

IMG_0356.JPG

I like the white leaves, at the first glance I thought they were blooms...very pretty! :!:
hmm, the experience I've had for many years and some research says, they like dry periods and this is what causes them to bloom, and that happens after they get 'so' big/mature. I think I water mine maybe once a month in the winter while they do get more from the auto sprinkler system when outside, but they also have a lot of heat (they're in the shade, though) during that time.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

IMG_0356.JPG

j.w; has yours ever bloomed? Mine (and Gemma's) has gotten clusters of small waxy flowers, but only after they've grown fairly old AND I don't water much during the winter (which research says is what will stimulate such flowering). Don't think I have any pics as they're not that remarkable, but I may go looking anyway.

:D