a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Gemma's Houseplants

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:19 am
Gemma wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:15 pm
j.w wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:55 pm

The Hoya is partly variegated w/partly all white leaves too. It didn't take too long to get growing good. I moved it once from my book case to the windows as I think it wanted more light. I water it every couple weeks.It's prolly over 20 yrs old or more! It likes to be sorta damp and never dried out.

IMG_0356.JPG

I like the white leaves, at the first glance I thought they were blooms...very pretty! :!:
hmm, the experience I've had for many years and some research says, they like dry periods and this is what causes them to bloom, and that happens after they get 'so' big/mature. I think I water mine maybe once a month in the winter while they do get more from the auto sprinkler system when outside, but they also have a lot of heat (they're in the shade, though) during that time.
How in the heck do you keep yours outside? Mine have vines that go to timbucktoo and I could never move the plant. I do water less in winter but maybe I should cut back some in Spring and Summer. Never had any blooms. I read that they shouldn't dry out too much or the leaves will shrivel and fall off.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:18 pm
Gemma wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:15 pm

I like the white leaves, at the first glance I thought they were blooms...very pretty! :!:
hmm, the experience I've had for many years and some research says, they like dry periods and this is what causes them to bloom, and that happens after they get 'so' big/mature. I think I water mine maybe once a month in the winter while they do get more from the auto sprinkler system when outside, but they also have a lot of heat (they're in the shade, though) during that time.
How in the heck do you keep yours outside? Mine have vines that go to timbucktoo and I could never move the plant. I do water less in winter but maybe I should cut back some in Spring and Summer. Never had any blooms. I read that they shouldn't dry out too much or the leaves will shrivel and fall off.
Well, I have one mother plant that has 'vines' about 7' long. This one goes on top of a closet and hangs beside it. In the summer, I just grab the vines and put the whole thing on my front porch, letting them trail on the sides. The other is less length, probably 4' total. This is one of the babies. Gemma now has the other one! I find most 'waxy' thick leaved plants DON'T need nearly as much water as say something like a philodendron. I bet if you start drying it out for a month or so, you may trigger the flowers. Now, I DO have some dried leaves, sometimes, probably an indicator I went too long between. But generally, tis in good health.
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:58 pm
j.w wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:18 pm

Well, I have one mother plant that has 'vines' about 7' long. This one goes on top of a closet and hangs beside it. In the summer, I just grab the vines and put the whole thing on my front porch, letting them trail on the sides. The other is less length, probably 4' total. This is one of the babies. Gemma now has the other one! I find most 'waxy' thick leaved plants DON'T need nearly as much water as say something like a philodendron. I bet if you start drying it out for a month or so, you may trigger the flowers. Now, I DO have some dried leaves, sometimes, probably an indicator I went too long between. But generally, tis in good health.
Mine's vines are all attached to cup hooks screwed into the wooden window trim. Must be 10 ft or more long and two separate vines, actually multiple vines in those two vines all wrapped around each other. No way to move them. I keep weaving them around each other when the stem ends start sprawling upwards. I have to watch them or they will try to wrap around the window blinds!
They are sneaky buggers! 8-)
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

Succulent #3 looks like a kalanchoe and they do bloom, clusters of little flowers. I have them outside under my oak tree, they bloom in the spring, mine are red and seed themselves in. A few have gotten too cold in our "winter" (oh, puhleez, it's rarely below freezing, ya wimps!) and die or die back. Most succulents would like less watering rather than more, and like that cactus soil with good drainage.
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Gemma wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:04 pm Here's a few more, I recently resized some of them so that's why they are so small
Spider Plant

Parlor Palm (I think)

Ponytail Palm (I think)

Pace Lily (I have 2)

The next three are some sort of succulents, I don't know their name but I would like to so I can research and learn how to properly care for them.... do they bloom etc

succulent #1

succulent #2

succulent #3
I've been researching and looks like succulent #1 and #2 are both Gasteria Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Gemma wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:04 am
Gemma wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:04 pm Here's a few more, I recently resized some of them so that's why they are so small
Spider Plant

Parlor Palm (I think)

Ponytail Palm (I think)

Pace Lily (I have 2)

The next three are some sort of succulents, I don't know their name but I would like to so I can research and learn how to properly care for them.... do they bloom etc

succulent #1

succulent #2

succulent #3
I've been researching and looks like succulent #1 and #2 are both Gasteria Image
Everything looks so healthy Gemma! I am still in awe of that greenhouse! Ahhh...to have that kind of energy again...I miss it terribly!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

rubyduby wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:53 pm
Spider Plant

Parlor Palm (I think)

Ponytail Palm (I think)

Pace Lily (I have 2)

succulent #1

succulent #2

succulent #3
Everything looks so healthy Gemma! I am still in awe of that greenhouse! Ahhh...to have that kind of energy again...I miss it terribly!
I agree @Gemma is still in that energy mode to do everything she can w/all those lovely plants and gain more and more of them. As for me I have downsized it all and given away a bunch of my plants and I don't acquire anymore. There just comes a time and my energy nowadays goes to outdoor activities like hiking or riding the bicycle or the needed chores of ponding and yard work.
Forget about the house cleaning unless I am having a visitor than I am like a mad woman running around doing everything in an hour or two just before they arrive
crazy lady 8.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:48 pm
I agree @Gemma is still in that energy mode to do everything she can w/all those lovely plants and gain more and more of them. As for me I have downsized it all and given away a bunch of my plants and I don't acquire anymore. There just comes a time and my energy nowadays goes to outdoor activities like hiking or riding the bicycle or the needed chores of ponding and yard work.
Forget about the house cleaning unless I am having a visitor than I am like a mad woman running around doing everything in an hour or two just before they arrive crazy lady 8.gif
you didn't need to post the selfie gif, lil queenie; we've all see it before...a lot of times...too many times...under our beds...and in our nightmares...heh heh

:grin: :cool: :o
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Forget about the house cleaning unless I am having a visitor than I am like a mad woman running around doing everything in an hour or two just before they arrive crazy lady 8.gif
I'm just like you j.w...I am down to two houseplants and whatever lives in the dustbunnies:) Would much rather be outside...humidity is brutal here though..glad it's October..should be getting dryer.
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:58 pm Gemma now has the other one!
I hope you don't mind that "Gemma" pruned it Image
whenever I repot a plant I trim both top and roots..but don't worry I rooted the cuttings and made a whole new plant so technically the plant still all there
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Awww you are the sweetest person ever!
I love plants so much I think I actually gain energy rather than losing it when I tend to them Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

I love your sense of humor!Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond