climbing roses, bougainvillea, and two orchids

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
brokensword
me
Reactions:

climbing roses, bougainvillea, and two orchids

Post by brokensword »

I have these in three places;

The bougainvillea is an experiment; I'll let it climb the trellis behind and cut it back for overwintering. The bougainvillea is inside the pondhouse, btw;

Two of my orchids, blooming;

ImageImage
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Re: climbing roses, bougainvillea, and two orchids

Post by j.w »

Those are lovely @brokensword I had a bougainvillea that I brought into my computer room after cutting it back each year. It lived like that, in and outside for awhile but then all of a sudden it just kicked the bucket. Not sure if I over watered it while it was inside or what but it sure was pretty.

Had a Climbing Rose also for 30 years that I dug up and brought w/me to our new place. Got rid of it a few years ago due to that disease I got from the prickers.

This is the real color below as the top one doesn't do it justice.

Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:56 am I have these in three places;

The bougainvillea is an experiment; I'll let it climb the trellis behind and cut it back for overwintering. The bougainvillea is inside the pondhouse, btw;

ImageImage
Everything looks so good! I might have to rethink and give roses another try thorns and all yours look fantastic
...and how cute is that fairy in the Bougainvillea's pot Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

brokensword wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:56 am I have these in three places;

ImageImage
I have never seen climbing roses before...Beautiful!! Great orchid pics too:)
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

j.w wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:18 pm Those are lovely @brokensword I had a bougainvillea that I brought into my computer room after cutting it back each year. It lived like that, in and outside for awhile but then all of a sudden it just kicked the bucket. Not sure if I over watered it while it was inside or what but it sure was pretty.

Had a Climbing Rose also for 30 years that I dug up and brought w/me to our new place. Got rid of it a few years ago due to that disease I got from the prickers.

That picture of the rose is SO pretty...Love the pale pink color...
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:18 pm Those are lovely @brokensword I had a bougainvillea that I brought into my computer room after cutting it back each year. It lived like that, in and outside for awhile but then all of a sudden it just kicked the bucket. Not sure if I over watered it while it was inside or what but it sure was pretty.

glad you added the closeup pic of the rose, that IS a beautiful color! Really really nice!. The climbers I have are all from cuttings from my customers. They seem extremely hardy. Last year, they died back more than usual but this year, are doing better with more branches and blooms. Wish they'd last longer, but like most perennials, have a limited bloom period.

I hope the bougainvillea stays alive and is easy to manage in the winter. Your story gives me more hope of that! Should be okay under lights in the basement greenhouse. The mandevilla I had did okay but didn't bloom much after overwintering and the pot was too heavy to keep carrying it up and down.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:46 pm

Everything looks so good! I might have to rethink and give roses another try thorns and all yours look fantastic
...and how cute is that fairy in the Bougainvillea's pot Image
Been a nice year, weather-wise, and the flowers are proving that true! I like the climbers because they put out a lot of flowers and in a color I don't have much of in the garden. Pretty easy to grow, just have to pay attention to the Jap beetles. Mrsbrokensword likes the fairies; I just help position them! They do add that fantasy air I like to propagate, so...
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

rubyduby wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:24 am

I have never seen climbing roses before...Beautiful!! Great orchid pics too:)
Never seen? Wow, I thought climbers were sorta ubiquitous! Would you have issues growing these in the warmer climates? Maybe they need that cold snap to do well? But, living in the north, I don't consider what it's like where the snow never flies!

The orchids are doing better since I started weekly watering them with the turtle pool water in the basement. As a matter of fact, they get more fert this way then when they're out in the summer! I'll have to keep a spray bottle of pond water nearby in the pondhouse...!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

climbing rose closeups;

ImageImageImage
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Beautiful color @brokensword!
Wish we could smell all the roses you guys have growing in your gardens
Rose smelling.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:18 pm Beautiful color @brokensword!
Wish we could smell all the roses you guys have growing in your gardens Rose smelling.gif
these don't have any particular smell that I've ever noticed; they ARE old world climbing roses and not a hybrid where they breed for such an attribute. I just like the way they show against the house, the green leaves. And there's a bit of sentimental value when I see them, too! The couple of tea roses I have also don't have any strong scent that I remember. Now, the wisteria in the pondhouse is a great one for that! Was there yesterday and my wife noticed them right off, commented, and I said 'oh, thought I was smelling the citronella candle (on the table beside me!!)!