ImageImageImageImageImageImage
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
WetWork
Reactions:

Re: first water lily, spider lily on steriods, Lucy, overviews, wisteria

Post by WetWork »

Beautiful pictures and pond!

Your spider lilies are doing great. I think mine got hit by the last cold snap after we had uncovered the pond and they aren't doing anything. They are usually slower than other plants, but this seems unusually slow.

Love the wisteria, too.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Love how many blooms your Wisteria is getting. Mine has only a couple. This year is the real pits here for blooms due to weather I believe. Is Lucy the fish or am I missing seeing a cat somewhere?
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

I love your pond and everything around it! I might try those spider lily someday Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:24 pm Love how many blooms your Wisteria is getting. Mine has only a couple. This year is the real pits here for blooms due to weather I believe. Is Lucy the fish or am I missing seeing a cat somewhere?
very happy with the wisteria this year; it's going on it's 4th summer. We had a few last year (first year blooming) and expected more this year, just not as many as I got! The plan is to train the wisteria to ramble around the top of the pondhouse and go all the way around. Should be quite a show then when it blooms, hey?

Yes, Lucy is the gin rin platinum ogon koi. A butterfly just for you, j.w!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

WetWork wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:23 pm Beautiful pictures and pond!

Your spider lilies are doing great. I think mine got hit by the last cold snap after we had uncovered the pond and they aren't doing anything. They are usually slower than other plants, but this seems unusually slow.

Love the wisteria, too.
thanks, @WetWork ; very happy this year with both! Last year, I had 2 spider lily blooms, this year, had two that bloomed just after I took it out of the basement, so it must have been doing well in the mini-bog I had it in. That may be the secret to why it's doing so well now; extra fert all winter. I counted the 10 buds, but expected they'd open two or three at a time, not all at once! Now, getting greedy, hope it blooms again this summer! Is that asking too much? Just a little? heh heh

I don't like taking the basement plants out before I know it'll stay above 40F or so. Had issues in the past, so now I try patience!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:45 am
j.w wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:24 pm Love how many blooms your Wisteria is getting. Mine has only a couple. This year is the real pits here for blooms due to weather I believe. Is Lucy the fish or am I missing seeing a cat somewhere?
very happy with the wisteria this year; it's going on it's 4th summer. We had a few last year (first year blooming) and expected more this year, just not as many as I got! The plan is to train the wisteria to ramble around the top of the pondhouse and go all the way around. Should be quite a show then when it blooms, hey?

I have my Wisteria going up a metal pole w/a T on top. Trained it to be sort of a tree. I need to cut it off a bunch so it will grow new sprouts. Think maybe that is why it doesn't get many blooms.

Ahhhhhhhhhh I thought that the fish might be Lucy and she is a beauty, yep just my angel type fishy!
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

brokensword wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:48 am

Love the wisteria, too.
thanks, @WetWork ; very happy this year with both! Last year, I had 2 spider lily blooms, this year, had two that bloomed just after I took it out of the basement, so it must have been doing well in the mini-bog I had it in. That may be the secret to why it's doing so well now; extra fert all winter. I counted the 10 buds, but expected they'd open two or three at a time, not all at once! Now, getting greedy, hope it blooms again this summer! Is that asking too much? Just a little? heh heh

I don't like taking the basement plants out before I know it'll stay above 40F or so. Had issues in the past, so now I try patience!
That IS pretty impressive for a bog plant; I don't think other than the marsh marigold, that I have any with that cluster of blooms all at once!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

darkmuse wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:20 pm
brokensword wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:48 am

Love the wisteria, too.

That IS pretty impressive for a bog plant; I don't think other than the marsh marigold, that I have any with that cluster of blooms all at once!
I know it surprised me! Would heartily recommend this plant for all ponders now!

:-P
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

She is so beautiful brokensword!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

rubyduby wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:15 pm

She is so beautiful brokensword!
she does 'show' against the darker fish/pond, that's for sure. Almost the easiest to 'find' when I do my head count! The bright orange/gold yamabuki ogon is of similar vein, but larger. Glad you liked!