Seedling invasion

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Seedling invasion

Post by Gemma »

It seems like every year there is one particular seedling plant that dominates...one year I picked up close to 100 petunia seedlings...I planted them everywhere I could, gave them to friends and neighbors and still had some...well this year the dominating seedling is the lupine
I only have 1 plant in the court, I'm not sure how the seeds ended up everywhere, the more I dig out and pot, the more show upImage

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Seedling invasion

Post by j.w »

I thought I just posted here, maybe you did a double post :kitty:
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Gemma wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:29 pm It seems like every year there is one particular seedling plant that dominates...one year I picked up close to 100 petunia seedlings...I planted them everywhere I could, gave them to friends and neighbors and still had some...well this year the dominating seedling is the lupine
I only have 1 plant in the court, I'm not sure how the seeds ended up everywhere, the more I dig out and pot, the more show upImage

LOVE lupine!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:13 pm I thought I just posted here, maybe you did a double post :kitty:
I TOLD you not to cancel that last eye doctor appt, lil Queenie...sigh...

;) :shock: :D
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:29 pm It seems like every year there is one particular seedling plant that dominates...one year I picked up close to 100 petunia seedlings...I planted them everywhere I could, gave them to friends and neighbors and still had some...well this year the dominating seedling is the lupine

yep, I hear you; I don't plant many annuals anymore, but there's still a couple places. For two years running, I had vinca seedlings to use. Then, a couple years ago I got a cutting from a customer of cleome and since, I'm inundated now for the second spring with the seedlings. And I mean TONS! Like you and your lupines. I found out they get large and woody and do not look great where they are, so I moved some last summer to a better place but apparently, some seeds from the previous season are coming up THIS season in their original spot!

Btw, I love lupines, too! Two winters ago I ordered a bunch of different color seeds and got a lot of seedlings by spring. Then, within the span of a month, the varmnts around here ate most and those that survived, didn't last. I think I ended up with 4 plants out of maybe 100. This year, just bought the seeds and scattered them inside a fenced in area; we'll see if they come up or what. Not doing all that work inside in the winter anymore. What color do you hope the lupines are, Gemma? I know that my 'seeds' from the mother plant reverted to purple. That's why I spent the time and effort looking for the special varieties. This year, a Russell mix.
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:36 am

yep, I hear you; I don't plant many annuals anymore, but there's still a couple places. For two years running, I had vinca seedlings to use. Then, a couple years ago I got a cutting from a customer of cleome and since, I'm inundated now for the second spring with the seedlings. And I mean TONS! Like you and your lupines. I found out they get large and woody and do not look great where they are, so I moved some last summer to a better place but apparently, some seeds from the previous season are coming up THIS season in their original spot!

Btw, I love lupines, too! Two winters ago I ordered a bunch of different color seeds and got a lot of seedlings by spring. Then, within the span of a month, the varmnts around here ate most and those that survived, didn't last. I think I ended up with 4 plants out of maybe 100. This year, just bought the seeds and scattered them inside a fenced in area; we'll see if they come up or what. Not doing all that work inside in the winter anymore. What color do you hope the lupines are, Gemma? I know that my 'seeds' from the mother plant reverted to purple. That's why I spent the time and effort looking for the special varieties. This year, a Russell mix.
The mother plant is purple (my favorite) but I'm not sure if the seeds produce true plants Image
I love Lupine!
I know they are picky on their location and I haven't figured out what their requirements are so I don't know where to try planting them
I always had one by the old pond

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48