spider lily

brokensword
me
Reactions:

spider lily

Post by brokensword »

overwintered my spider lily (not cold hardy in Mi) and just as I took it out last weekend, I noticed it had two buds. Monday, they were open!

screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
rubyduby
Reactions:

Re: spider lily

Post by rubyduby »

So delicate...a real beauty!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:01 am overwintered my spider lily (not cold hardy in Mi) and just as I took it out last weekend, I noticed it had two buds. Monday, they were open!

I don't know this plant, I hope you will post updates so I can see how it behaves in the pond/bog and maybe get one for me tooImage?
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:48 pm
brokensword wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:01 am overwintered my spider lily (not cold hardy in Mi) and just as I took it out last weekend, I noticed it had two buds. Monday, they were open!

I don't know this plant, I hope you will post updates so I can see how it behaves in the pond/bog and maybe get one for me tooImage?
it's nice, but you have to overwinter in the colder zones. I get this one mixed up with rain lily and once THOUGHT that's what it was as it hadn't bloomed yet. This is the second year blooming and third year since purchasing. Relatively day-lily-ish but smaller footprint. I usually put it in the bog v1 as it only sits at about 8". No special care, other than the winter months. Did fine in my turtle pool mini bog--that's where it began the blooming process! I was surprised it already had them when I went to take it out! I HOPE it'll bloom again, but we'll see.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Very pretty one @brokensword :beaming:
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

I'm surprised you have to dig yours up. I have a tub of those in my.pond and they stay there year round. But I do have a greenhouse over the pond in winter so it never freezes.

I just thought they were very hard plants. I learn something new every day.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

WetWork wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 pm I'm surprised you have to dig yours up. I have a tub of those in my.pond and they stay there year round. But I do have a greenhouse over the pond in winter so it never freezes.

I just thought they were very hard plants. I learn something new every day.
maybe when they replicate enough, I'll divide and leave one out side all winter since I put up a tent too, though not a greenhouse per se, and sometimes a thin film of ice will form. I know the couple waterlilies I have in pots, which I dragged under the tent, did form ice. Are yours actually IN the pond? I have mine in the bog gravel. Just glad it blooms and is a different type flower from the others!
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

That should have been hardy, not hard plants.

Yes, mine are in the pond. They have done very well there.
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

@brokensword Can any Spider Lily be grown in water or is yours a special water plant? Does it bloom all season?
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:57 pm @brokensword Can any Spider Lily be grown in water or is yours a special water plant? Does it bloom all season?
well, I have mine in a pot of soil but half submerged in bog v1. Not sure that constitutes 'in water' per se. I think Wetwork mentioned growing them IN the pond proper, so...

Mine bloomed ONCE last year (3 or so blooms) and not again the rest of the year. Didn't bloom at all the first year I got them. This year has been the best and I can see it has propagated (was downstairs in the mini-bog all winter), so must be doing something right! I don't expect it to bloom again this year, but we'll see! Not sure about 'other' spider lilies!
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

Finally, my spiders lilies are blooming! I knew they were always late, but didn't remember that they were this late. I had given up on them since Brokensword's bloomed so early. Should have had more faith.

And a picture of the impatiens in the waterfall:

Hope these pics are too big.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Beautiful plants and love the way you worked those Inpatients into that waterfall @WetWork :beaming: