turtle in my pond?

solaria5505
Reactions:

turtle in my pond?

Post by solaria5505 »

Sometimes I've seen frogs but no gturtles so I was wondering how hrd it is to have one in a pond?
j.w
Reactions:

Re: turtle in my pond?

Post by j.w »

solaria5505 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:40 pm Sometimes I've seen frogs but no gturtles so I was wondering how hrd it is to have one in a pond?
@brokensword has turtles and hopefully he can help you w/this question. I know they can escape if you don't take precautions of keeping them in there. I found one while walking on the road here one day. It was a red eared slider. I took it up to my friends house who keeps turtles. Actually she keeps everything :beaming:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: turtle in my pond?

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:58 pm
solaria5505 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:40 pm Sometimes I've seen frogs but no gturtles so I was wondering how hrd it is to have one in a pond?
@brokensword has turtles and hopefully he can help you w/this question. I know they can escape if you don't take precautions of keeping them in there. I found one while walking on the road here one day. It was a red eared slider. I took it up to my friends house who keeps turtles. Actually she keeps everything :beaming:
j.w has it right; you have to fence the pond area in or you'll find your turtle wandering away. They like to find mates and can 'smell' larger/other waterways. I know mine tend to be out of the pond and walking the wall during those certain times (in fall, when they are thinking of brumating, I have to be aware of this). And another little secret I think makes a difference is to have the turtles young so they grow up with the fish. The couple times I put a rescue turtle and one I found on the road into the pond, both times the turtle went straight for the fish. Mine don't even flinch and most of the time, are pushed away by the fish when food is thrown, NOT the other way around!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html