Planting method

rubyduby
Reactions:

Planting method

Post by rubyduby »

I found that the best way of planting in my pond is by taking the plants (bare root) and placing the roots in the middle of a square of burlap with some pebbles and then tying jute cord around the top just above the ball and then cutting off the excess around the collar... Just plop them where you want them. You will not see the burlap in a couple of days and the roots grow out and into the pond eventually...You could also do this between rocks instead of using screening which doesn't break down...This has been a game changer for me...This works for even the smallest of plants like three inch grasses, ect...
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
poconojoe
Reactions:

Re: Planting method

Post by poconojoe »

rubyduby wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:24 pm I found that the best way of planting in my pond is by taking the plants (bare root) and placing the roots in the middle of a square of burlap with some pebbles and then tying jute cord around the top just above the ball and then cutting off the excess around the collar... Just plop them where you want them. You will not see the burlap in a couple of days and the roots grow out and into the pond eventually...You could also do this between rocks instead of using screening which doesn't break down...This has been a game changer for me...This works for even the smallest of plants like three inch grasses, ect...
That's a great idea!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Neat idea! Will keep that in mind @rubyduby :beaming:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

I've used the 'tie it to a rock' method with mixed results; half the time the rock slips out and I have to do it all over again! Great idea and sure seems easy!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

The "tie it to a rock" never works for me...I always find that the fish have pulled out stems and they float to the surface or like you have experienced, the rock comes undone...This method is awesome...I actually found out about it on Koiphen.com...
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Good idea!Image
I've been pinning the bareroot plants using rocks and it works fine, but I will try the burlap for smaller plants Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48