Sans Bog

rubyduby
Reactions:

Sans Bog

Post by rubyduby »

Won't having a LOT of bare root plants in gravel in the pond be as helpful as a bog for water clarity? I have read the testimonials on new bog owners raving about how clear their water is but I don't understand why it works so much better than just planting in the pond.
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Sans Bog

Post by j.w »

Good question and I don't have a bog. Wonder if it has something to do w/all the large amount of gravel catching all the particles and allowing all that bacteria to eat all the extra nutrients up?
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

j.w wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:36 pm Good question and I don't have a bog. Wonder if it has something to do w/all the large amount of gravel catching all the particles and allowing all that bacteria to eat all the extra nutrients up?
Yes, that must be it j.w.....
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

rubyduby wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:56 pm Won't having a LOT of bare root plants in gravel in the pond be as helpful as a bog for water clarity? I have read the testimonials on new bog owners raving about how clear their water is but I don't understand why it works so much better than just planting in the pond.
any surface area you have helps a lot, Ruby, but consider; how much of the water column actually comes in contact with the pond sides, the gravel on the bottom, any UW surface? It takes time and a lot of current, so when you think that you're actually forcing water to go past all that lovely SSA (specific surface area), and within a couple hours minimally, it doesn't compare to static measures. That's why I tend to promote DEEPER bogs because there's that much more surface area for the bacteria to colonize. The more SSA, the more bacteria, and thus, the greater efficiency of your filtration. You have to remember, bacteria production (and subsequent neutralizing action/conversion action) lags fish waste production. So the bioload in the pond can get high, quickly, esp if you're feeding regularly. So to keep both ponder and fish AND bacteria happy, it's good to cultivate a storehouse of bacteria just waiting to devour all that nasty fish waste and keep it from harming them. That's also why a passive bog helps but is not nearly as good as the 'upflow wetland' filter we like to call a 'bog'. The plants are mainly taking out the nitrates (along with some ammonia, but not appreciably enough) and it's the biofilter that does the heavy lifting. That's also why if you can keep a lot of debris out of your pond so it does not decay there and ADD to the bioload, you're that much further ahead.

Plants also shade the pond, thus reducing algae's (free floating variety) ability to reproduce in numbers that allow us to call it 'green water'!

Okay, class; all for today; you're dismissed. There'll be a quiz tomorrow...

:sillybearshock: :grin: :o :-P :cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

I have always appreciated your replies to my questions brokensword..You take the time for newbies like me to understand totally instead of leaving me hanging with just a few words. Thank you for explaining this...Now I know:)
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

rubyduby wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:46 pm I have always appreciated your replies to my questions brokensword..You take the time for newbies like me to understand totally instead of leaving me hanging with just a few words. Thank you for explaining this...Now I know:)
@j.w likens this to other people with too many rocks in their head...only she substitutes in 'words'! At least, that BETTER be the way she's thinking of this, and NOT the other way around...

I think a lot of this comes from working by myself for so long; when I GET the chance to communicate/talk, I take advantage of it, ya know? Too, I like when I get complete answers, so I give in kind. This is why FB is so frustrating for me; everyone usually talks in quips and I'm building books!

You're very welcome, Ruby!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html