Just bought a house that has a pond

District12
Reactions:

Just bought a house that has a pond

Post by District12 »

I’m thrilled to have a house with a pond, but this is my first one. I have no idea how to open it for the spring or how to clean it or how to fix the leak that apparently has been a problem according to the neighbors. I’m thinking I should probably hire a professional to get me started. Can anyone out there give me any kind of advice at this point? I’m going to be scouring this forum, but I really am starting at Ground Zero. Any books that are particularly useful for someone like me? Any experiences you ponders would be willing to share with regard to this topic? Any advice?
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Just bought a house that has a pond

Post by j.w »

fishwelcome.gif
@District12

Nice you have a new home and it came w/a pond. Could you take a photo of your pond and let us know also some things about it. Does it have a filter, how big is it and depth? Does it have fish? Will also need to let the pond drain down to where it then stops leaking to see if you can find where the leak is unless it is on the very bottom of the pond. When we have all that we need from you we can help you better.

When I enter Spring I like to take a long handled net and scoop out any debris on the bottom but I also heard it may be better to do this in the fall while the filter is still running so it catches any floating debris and the fish won't suffer as much sucking up all that muck through their gills. But you just moved in and will prolly need to do some cleaning now. Whatever you do don't empty all the water out of your pond if you have fish as then it will ruin the water in the pond that the fish are accustomed to and that could harm or kill them. Now if you end up not being able to fix the liner where the leak is then you will have to put in a new liner and then the fish will have to be placed in perhaps a plastic kiddy pool w/it filled w/their old water from the pond. Then you would have to use as much of the old water that you can save from the pond to start the new pond up again.

So please let us know more and I'm sure others will have more questions to ask you and then we can all chime in and try to help.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: Just bought a house that has a pond

Post by brokensword »

District12 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:53 pm I’m thrilled to have a house with a pond, but this is my first one. I have no idea how to open it for the spring or how to clean it or how to fix the leak that apparently has been a problem according to the neighbors. I’m thinking I should probably hire a professional to get me started. Can anyone out there give me any kind of advice at this point? I’m going to be scouring this forum, but I really am starting at Ground Zero. Any books that are particularly useful for someone like me? Any experiences you ponders would be willing to share with regard to this topic? Any advice?
j.w has given good advice and she's had a pond for quite a while. It CAN be overwhelming until you actually get your feet wet (pun intended!). Learning will go far in this hobby. If you're the type that would like to be more intimately involved with your pond, we can certainly help. I tend to do most things myself and nix the cost, plus I'm always a bit skeptical someone is going to try and sell me something I either don't or even do know I need. I'd rather assess the situation and go from there myself.

So, the bit of info j.w asked will help us help you. And once you get everything under control and your pond system balanced, there'll be precious little you need do other than sit by the pond enjoying a favorite libation or two...or three...heh heh
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html