UW camera housing DIY design

brokensword
me
Reactions:

UW camera housing DIY design

Post by brokensword »

So, after multiple designs and numerous frustrating tests, this is the final and confirmed to work prototype unit;
DIY UW cam housing final design.jpg
DIY UW cam housing final design.jpg (88.04 KiB) Viewed 451 times

All connections are to be Sika 295 sealed

- Outdoor security cam inside 4” pvc waterproof housing using 4” cap, piece, cleanout with screw end
- All pvc = glued, then Sika 295 marine sealant at every connection,
- glass lens custom cut for cap, cap is made from coupler, cut down on water-side and glass is put on water-side lip
- Sika 295 sealant glass to pvc
- Foam keeps cam centered
- Screw top has hole cut for ethernet cord
- 3/4 “ mpt to slip is pvc glued to 4” cap, then Sika 295 sealed, including the flex pvc joint after gluing
- Silica crystals for any condensation
- 15’ ethernet cord connects INSIDE housing
- Ethernet cord goes through mpt and into housing
- add ethernet coupler to easily disconnect permanent ethernet feed from source

- The camera can be accessed for replacement by unscrewing the cap. Re-sealing with Sika 295 marine sealant is then re-applied to the edge where the threads meet the waste cleanout body. This is the only seal broken and needing re-application when opening the housing.
I highly advise testing the camera and any accompanying software before placement in the housing, and after placement, checking again. If working correctly, then Sika seal the cap junction. Let set for24 hours, verify AGAIN that the feed still works, then mount beneath the pond surface to desired height and angle. A good idea is to angle the camera down slightly so it can be monitored for any leakage as the water will show in the feed and give the operator time to rescue the unit before water can get inside the camera. Keep the angle pointed down if this happens when pulling the unit out, again to keep water from getting into the unit. This unit will be bouyant, so some measures need be taken to hold it beneath the surface. Strappiing the whole unit to a weighted diy stand is one idea. Mounting brackets can be made but insure no penetration of the housing occurs.
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Re: UW camera housing DIY design

Post by j.w »

@brokensword Holy cow that is quite the contraption! Glad you know what you are doin! Just make sure I can still see all those angels floating around when you are done Kingy boy!
fish34.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:49 am @brokensword Holy cow that is quite the contraption! Glad you know what you are doin! Just make sure I can still see all those angels floating around when you are done Kingy boy!

fish34.gif
I will!! It's actually pretty basic and anyone who's worked with pvc will find it easy peasy. The trick is custom cut the glass lens and Sika seal the heck out of every joint! I figured out my main flaw with the other designs was silicone just doesn't stick (water tight-wise) to pvc such that pressure from without can actually work past and into the interior of the housing. But, works now, at least! (knock on wood!)

:-P
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword maybe this type of work is worthy of making some money doing? We could use more funds around here ya know!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:48 pm @brokensword maybe this type of work is worthy of making some money doing? We could use more funds around here ya know!
why? running out of Lestoil and new mop heads? I know I am!!! I ain't gonna subsidize any of your royal caviar orders, lil Queenie!!

:-P :roll: :cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:10 pm
j.w wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:48 pm @brokensword maybe this type of work is worthy of making some money doing? We could use more funds around here ya know!
why? running out of Lestoil and new mop heads? I know I am!!! I ain't gonna subsidize any of your royal caviar orders, lil Queenie!!

:-P :roll: :cool:
Oh just get back to work mopping the castle floors and quit complaining or we shall add sewage duty to your chores
toidy cleaning08.gif