Growing Citrus in cold Climate Anyone?

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Growing Citrus in cold Climate Anyone?

Post by Gemma »

Anyone?
I've always wanted to try the Meyer Lemon so since I have the big project of the orchard outside and I've been buying fruit trees left and right, I decided why not throw in the Citrus Trees.
I got a\the Meyer Lemon I really wanted, also a Ruby Red Grapefruit and a Blood Orange. They are grafted to be suitable for containers, so late Spring they go outside and mid Fall they get brought inside
They are very small right now and can be on the shelf in my sunny kitchen, and then as they grow the plan is to move them and use grow lights
This is what they look like: on the left is the Orange tree and the one on the right is the Grapefruit tree, and last pic
is the Meyer Lemon tree

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
SarahT
Reactions:

Re: Growing Citrus in cold Climate Anyone?

Post by SarahT »

Hiya! When I lived in IL, a neighbor had a potted Meyer Lemon inside, sunny window in the winter/ came outside for the summer, and he got enough lemons to make GREAT marmalade. He said do regular watering, but not too much water, and fertilizer 3 times a year.
Now that I'm in FL, I planted a Meyer lemon outdoors last spring and it has bloomed, I got 4 lemons last year, and we'll see what it does this year. I am following his water/ fertilizer program, though I live in a county with a summer fertilizer ban. Adding to the fun, I'm in an area that has citrus greening, so that may be a problem.
Post how the Meyer comes along.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

SarahT wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:41 am Hiya! When I lived in IL, a neighbor had a potted Meyer Lemon inside, sunny window in the winter/ came outside for the summer, and he got enough lemons to make GREAT marmalade. He said do regular watering, but not too much water, and fertilizer 3 times a year.
Now that I'm in FL, I planted a Meyer lemon outdoors last spring and it has bloomed, I got 4 lemons last year, and we'll see what it does this year. I am following his water/ fertilizer program, though I live in a county with a summer fertilizer ban. Adding to the fun, I'm in an area that has citrus greening, so that may be a problem.
Post how the Meyer comes along.
Hey, Sarah; what is 'citrus greening'? I never heard of that!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:29 pm Anyone?
I've always wanted to try the Meyer Lemon so since I have the big project of the orchard outside and I've been buying fruit trees left and right, I decided why not throw in the Citrus Trees.
I got a\the Meyer Lemon I really wanted, also a Ruby Red Grapefruit and a Blood Orange. They are grafted to be suitable for containers, so late Spring they go outside and mid Fall they get brought inside
They are very small right now and can be on the shelf in my sunny kitchen, and then as they grow the plan is to move them and use grow lights
This is what they look like: on the left is the Orange tree and the one on the right is the Grapefruit tree, and last pic
is the Meyer Lemon tree

Gemma; from what I know, citrus won't make it over winter in our climate. It's a summer-overwinter indoors type plant. I've never grown one of those, but DO have two grapefruit trees I've grown from seed. One is going on 50 years and you know what? I've NEVER had flowers let alone fruit on it. I've talked to a few 'professionals' and tried a couple of their suggestions, but it never has blossoms. Now, I have TRIED to make it a bonsai, probably 20 years ago, but started too late to really make it a true bonsai. Right now, it stands at about 6' in it's 24" diam pot. It used to be over 8'. Each spring now, I attempt to take off more thick branches. The twin trunks are each about 4" in diameter and I have one newer branch from below which I hope to eventually make the 'new trunk', but am hesitant to really hack it down for fear of killing it.

My theory is I keep taking off a lot of branches in spring and that stops the blossom process, although, for two years I did nothing and it still didn't bloom. So maybe that theory is wrong also.

The other grapefruit is probably 40 years old and is only 2' tall, trunk diam maybe 3" or so, and it too has never flowered or bourn fruit either. It IS a bonsai proper. I'll see about getting some pics when I pull them out for the summer later at the end of May.

So, not much help, I guess, but I can at least say I grow some citrus!

:-P :roll: :cool:
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:08 am
is the Meyer Lemon tree

Gemma; from what I know, citrus won't make it over winter in our climate. It's a summer-overwinter indoors type plant. I've never grown one of those, but DO have two grapefruit trees I've grown from seed. One is going on 50 years and you know what? I've NEVER had flowers let alone fruit on it. I've talked to a few 'professionals' and tried a couple of their suggestions, but it never has blossoms. Now, I have TRIED to make it a bonsai, probably 20 years ago, but started too late to really make it a true bonsai. Right now, it stands at about 6' in it's 24" diam pot. It used to be over 8'. Each spring now, I attempt to take off more thick branches. The twin trunks are each about 4" in diameter and I have one newer branch from below which I hope to eventually make the 'new trunk', but am hesitant to really hack it down for fear of killing it.

My theory is I keep taking off a lot of branches in spring and that stops the blossom process, although, for two years I did nothing and it still didn't bloom. So maybe that theory is wrong also.

The other grapefruit is probably 40 years old and is only 2' tall, trunk diam maybe 3" or so, and it too has never flowered or bourn fruit either. It IS a bonsai proper. I'll see about getting some pics when I pull them out for the summer later at the end of May.

"40 yr old tree, 50 yr old tree? Aren't you like 39? Image
I'm just starting out and perhaps after all my effort mine won't bloom either, but I will give it all I have to try and follow the recommendations, which are: start with grafted, suitable for container plants (check), use a potting media suitable for a cactus (check), keep moist and misted (check) place under adequate light, add grow lights if needed (check), feed every 6-8weeks, using fertilizer specific for citrus (check), cross your fingers and pray (check, check, check...)Image Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:40 am
brokensword wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:08 am
is the Meyer Lemon tree

"40 yr old tree, 50 yr old tree? Aren't you like 39? Image
I'm just starting out and perhaps after all my effort mine won't bloom either, but I will give it all I have to try and follow the recommendations, which are: start with grafted, suitable for container plants (check), use a potting media suitable for a cactus (check), keep moist and misted (check) place under adequate light, add grow lights if needed (check), feed every 6-8weeks, using fertilizer specific for citrus (check), cross your fingers and pray (check, check, check...)Image Image
geez, with all those checks, I hope ONE is in the mail!!!

heh heh, 39 hey? Now, didn't THAT just make the day a bit better!!! Course, that means I'm supposed to have all that energy and whatnot...do I HAVE to follow THAT part??? Nippy this morning but gots ta get to work, but now, with a bit of smile on my face!!

I don't really know why neither has bloomed/fruited, Gemma, but I'm sure you'll be fine. I didn't use any 'grafted' version, mine came from seeds of fruit I was eating at the time! Might be hybrids that are sterile for all I know!

;) :cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Neat on growing Lemons in your house. I've heard of those trees and that their blooms smell wonderful :D
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:16 pm Neat on growing Lemons in your house. I've heard of those trees and that their blooms smell wonderful :D
ifn I didn't have a few 'indoor' trees already, I'd certainly try one! Gonna get yerself one this spring, JDub?

:-P :cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword Nope no more indoor plants for me either. I have a few left and I have given a bunch away. Trying to have less stuff to take care of in case we ever get to hit the road.
vacation490.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:00 pm @brokensword Nope no more indoor plants for me either. I have a few left and I have given a bunch away. Trying to have less stuff to take care of in case we ever get to hit the road.

vacation490.gif
ah, yes, I hear ya; understandable! The dog and kitty rule, as I remember, right?

:kitty: :?
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:05 pm
j.w wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:00 pm @brokensword Nope no more indoor plants for me either. I have a few left and I have given a bunch away. Trying to have less stuff to take care of in case we ever get to hit the road.

vacation490.gif
ah, yes, I hear ya; understandable! The dog and kitty rule, as I remember, right?

:kitty: :?
Yep nothing alive to care for but us. I can ask my g-daughter up the road to water my plants that I still have tho. Just don't want to add more to the chores. When we get too old to travel then perhaps we can think about a dog or a cat, but then maybe not. Just depends. Prolly just a cat or two :beaming:
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

Citrus greening is a bacteria spread by insects and is a threat to citrus trees and the citrus industry. It's incurable, and any infected tree needs to be removed immediately to prevent spread. Since 2005 when it was first detected in Florida, it has destroyed half (or more) of the orange citrus production. So I watch my trees carefully.