Gemma's Pond

Gemma
Reactions:

Gemma's Pond

Post by Gemma »

This is what my pond looks like at the beginning of the season.
Not much to clean at all after building the bog last year, I'm so glad I listened to the many who advised me to build it, and helped me though the whole process.
Not sure you can tell that I'm standing up on the deck... my fish can tellImage

The only plants I left in my bog last Fall are these marigold, and a clump of iris in the corner
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: Gemma's Pond

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:31 pm This is what my pond looks like at the beginning of the season.
Not much to clean at all after building the bog last year, I'm so glad I listened to the many who advised me to build it, and helped me though the whole process.
Not sure you can tell that I'm standing up on the deck... my fish can tellImage

The only plants I left in my bog last Fall are these marigold, and a clump of iris in the corner
whatcha gonna put in the bog THIS year??? I have mostly hardy versions now, with a couple I overwinter in the basement (taro, Egyptian papyrus).
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

@brokensword I forgot I also have a Cardinal Lobelia in the bog, it is just starting to grow.
I saved my Taro, Umbrella Palm, Water Canna and another smaller version of the Umbrella Palm that I don't know the name. I usually put the water canna in the plant pool cause it gets so large, but maybe I will try a piece in the bog..I'm thinking Sun Impatient, Hosta,. mostly I'm thinking more of the same plants, my OCD doesn't allow me to have plants that look too weedy or might become invasive so, I know I have to fill the bog but I rather fill it with plants I know....I do however try a new plant or two every year, out of the ones I tried last year, only the spike did very well and I will probably use it again

I tried growing creeping jenny on top of the waterfall lid once, it did not work out for me
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:15 pm @brokensword I forgot I also have a Cardinal Lobelia in the bog, it is just starting to grow.
I saved my Taro, Umbrella Palm, Water Canna and another smaller version of the Umbrella Palm that I don't know the name. I usually put the water canna in the plant pool cause it gets so large, but maybe I will try a piece in the bog..I'm thinking Sun Impatient, Hosta,. mostly I'm thinking more of the same plants, my OCD doesn't allow me to have plants that look too weedy or might become invasive so, I know I have to fill the bog but I rather fill it with plants I know....I do however try a new plant or two every year, out of the ones I tried last year, only the spike did very well and I will probably use it again

I tried growing creeping jenny on top of the waterfall lid once, it did not work out for me
yep, I got a lot of those, too. I'm surprised your creeping jenny didn't work. I put two pots of it, one on either side of my waterfall #2, and in a year, they took off and almost covered the whole frontage. I had to cut it back if I wanted to actually see any of the rockwork! Now, I DID divert water toward each pot, just to be sure it didn't dry out (pots were like 4"). I have hosta in pots on top of the fall and every now and then, use the hose on them as they're dependent only on rain, otherwise. Do take those before and after pics so we can see how it evolves throughout the summer!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@Gemma and @brokensword I wonder if maybe the Creeping Jenny needs soil to grow it's roots in? Mine are around the edge of the pond w/their roots in soil and then they creep over the berm and into the pond from there and crawl along the top of the water. I have never tried just putting their roots in water like between the rocks in the pond.

I so love your pond @Gemma and all the pretty plants you put in there each year!
biglove2.gif
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:35 pm @Gemma and @brokensword I wonder if maybe the Creeping Jenny needs soil to grow it's roots in? Mine are around the edge of the pond w/their roots in soil and then they creep over the berm and into the pond from there and crawl along the top of the water. I have never tried just putting their roots in water like between the rocks in the pond.

I so love your pond @Gemma and all the pretty plants you put in there each year!

biglove2.gif
Thank you! I love yours too! Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:35 pm @Gemma and @brokensword I wonder if maybe the Creeping Jenny needs soil to grow it's roots in? Mine are around the edge of the pond w/their roots in soil and then they creep over the berm and into the pond from there and crawl along the top of the water. I have never tried just putting their roots in water like between the rocks in the pond.

biglove2.gif
that's what I did; they're in pots of soil and the waterfall directs some water into them. They grow great in the bog, so wet feet should not be an issue!

:-P :cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Yep wet feet but might not just grow in plain pond water w/o soil? I don't know,as never tried it. Always used soil for them. Will have to stick a piece in between some rocks and see what it does. Might die when the water freezes on top tho.
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

My Marigold loving the bog

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Wow, your Marsh Marigold is so healthy looking and bright! You've done a great job designing and building your pond Gemma...really nice!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@Gemma I agree w/@rubyduby that plant is so pretty!

Wish so much it could grow here but guess it would die due to the weather. Heard they need cold winters. I don't understand why ours can't be cold enough?
I mean we get some freezing
dog-18.gif
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

rubyduby wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:20 pm Wow, your Marsh Marigold is so healthy looking and bright! You've done a great job designing and building your pond Gemma...really nice!
Aww Thank you, @rubyduby Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond