anyone remember...

j.w
Reactions:

Re: anyone remember...

Post by j.w »

That's a gorgeous huge tree @SarahT and what a shade provider in the heat!
One of my other fave's I have is this Deodar Cedar. The tree on the right side.

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:18 pm That's a gorgeous huge tree @SarahT and what a shade provider in the heat!

looking at your tree pics, can't help noticing your lawn looks really good; nary a weed easily seen! Better than some of the lawns I do!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:55 pm
j.w wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:18 pm That's a gorgeous huge tree @SarahT and what a shade provider in the heat!

looking at your tree pics, can't help noticing your lawn looks really good; nary a weed easily seen! Better than some of the lawns I do!
Hah, thanks but if you had a close up view you would see weeds oh yes! :!:
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

j.w wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:53 pm I have a giant Sequoia I planted in our yard when it was only about a foot tall. Think I could make a bonsai out of it now? :sillybearshock:

That is one beautiful tree j.w.! How many years ago did you plant it?
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Thanks @rubyduby think I planted it about 2008. It was just a tiny little thing way back then. My neighbor got it as a gift and didn't want it. I was too happy to take it! So it's around 15 yrs old now.
Here's another tree, actually a set of 3 that were growing on a nurse log I had at our other house over 25 yrs ago or more. They were only a few inches tall. I brought them w/me when we moved and they are massive now!

They are Western Hemlock trees.

You can see the 3 trunks on the tree to the right looking towards the bottom of the tree:

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:08 pm Thanks @rubyduby think I planted it about 2008. It was just a tiny little thing way back then. My neighbor got it as a gift and didn't want it. I was too happy to take it! So it's around 15 yrs old now.
Here's another tree, actually a set of 3 that were growing on a nurse log I had at our other house over 25 yrs ago or more. They were only a few inches tall. I brought them w/me when we moved and they are massive now!

You can see the 3 trunks on the tree to the right looking towards the bottom of the tree:

I WONDERED where you got that ingredient for your brew...heh heh

:cheesyGrin: :queen: :shocked: :cool: :roll:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

j.w wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:08 pm Thanks @rubyduby think I planted it about 2008. It was just a tiny little thing way back then. My neighbor got it as a gift and didn't want it. I was too happy to take it! So it's around 15 yrs old now.

WOW! They are HUGE and gorgeous!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Thanks @rubyduby I love all my trees. Have many more and wish I had even more. Always wanted a Monkey Puzzle tree but never got one...............yet! :cool:
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:53 pm I have a giant Sequoia I planted in our yard when it was only about a foot tall. Think I could make a bonsai out of it now? :sillybearshock:

You just reminded me I planted one too at the end of my property Image
The first year it got chewed up to the ground but regrew from the tiny stump...I should go visit it and see if it's still there
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

SarahT wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:45 am SarahT's live oak.JPGI was going to say I have tree envy, and I do, because I love redwood, sequoia and the like. But I didn't want to offend my live oak.
@SarahT What a beautiful Oak tree! I don't think I've ever seen one that large before itImage
....this thread has all my favorite trees in
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

It does take up the entire front yard. Live oaks are sturdy trees and flexible. The arborists here tell me that ship builders used to use live oak for ship sides in Ye Olden Days because it could take a bashing and flex back OK. They go on to say the tree looks healthy, so keep it trimmed (and hope for the best.)
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

I guess this is the Pond and TREE life forum. What a nice collection of beloved trees.