Reactions:

Re: Pond Reconstruction Project (+ Bog)

Post by Duxwig »

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

I'd say everything came out very well, Dux! Lots of great plantings to merge pond and yard, imo!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

Fever is on to change it like what was forecast lol.

It’s taken on more (string?) algae. By it’s a mass that’s attached to a small single spot on the rocks. Not floating stuff. It’s not blanket fuzz either. It looks like a mass of green but if you pull it off it’s string like. Not easy to remove with just rubbing the plastic edge of the net on it to scrape off.

The one iris in water I raised and now coming back to life after the caterpillar invasion. I have purple iris from our garden in the bog. Grew after winter and then within past 2 weeks the leaves all started going brown. I raised it thinking crown was too low but nada. I got some purple flame iris that looks nice and more adaptable to water, just needs time to establish and grow.

Marsh marigold also looking rough like some type of disease. Again thought wetness and so much foliage that it couldn’t dry out. Had put in a fert tab near this and iris, didn’t help either. Raised it up further. Few hot days but planned to chop it to the crown to make it start fresh foliage hopefully wi disease.

The water cress newb stalks I ordered and the ones from the store all starting to take off. Not tons of difference on the water but…plant.

Got two more sweet flag I’m going to put on the side to help uptake of nutrients. Moved the water lettuce to the center to eat more, but they float back w the current. The huge black foam float looks off in this size pond. Need to make some small clear float ring I can make.

Redoing all the steps on the right. Didn’t like the water flow and didn’t want to fiddle w it again and thought it still wouldn’t achieve enough water build up / sheeting given the size of the stones.
Going to start putting in normal rocks. Testing diff layouts to see how they look or may work before I put in the foam to contain the water.
This is the first throw together with just some bones.

Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

This is the marsh marigold. You can see some newer greener leaves which aren’t affected yet.
Stems look like a mold. Powdery mildew or something?
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Marsh marigold typically dies back with summer heat; it's a cool weather plant and comes back in the fall. Nice waterfall area; I like how it turned out.
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

I need a lotto ticket. Stopped at the nursery to look for water-tolerant iris to add in hopes of greater nitrate/nitrogen uptake to stop the algae. They only had Siberian which Google suggests needs a dry period.
Got talking about buy pond plants and he told me he wanted to show me their pond plants. I told him I’ve been there often and they didn’t have pond plants. He said they had “secret” pond plants for private customers and they wade out in the ponds and plant them. Took me to the back of a warehouse on the golf cart.

The plants were all “not for sale” without labels on any of what they were. Many were sitting in water (not over crown). Guy swears they’re pond plants. I didn’t have a second to try to ID and he had no idea what they were. He grabbed a box and quickly grabbed one or two of each and toss in the box. Told me it was my lucky day and I hit the mother load, tossed the box at me, carted me back to my vehicle and away I went. Free.

But what the heck are they?

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

I can honestly say, I can't ID ANY of them! Nothing looks familiar. I'd hazard a guess though and say they're all native to your area, for what that's worth! Have fun image matching!! heh heh
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

Using google image search app found this one to probably be Ohio spiderwort. Not an in-the-pond plant.
Nexxxxxt!
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

Appears as maybe swamp verbena?
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

good guesses! If they were anything I'd seen via online plant sites, I could at least have hazarded a guess myself but nothing really looks like anything I know! Eventually, you'll figure them out, esp if they bloom for you.
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

All the plants are still sitting for now.

Todays project is restructuring this area. What I came up with so far that I think I can live with and can make work w foam. Spacing rocks currently so I can puzzle them back once I have it set and know where abouts I need to foam. I think it’s looking better than the first.
Thinking about the small gap/hole on the right of the flat rock straight on, not sure how full I want to make it, thought it could be some kind of bowl of water that a plant can go in with say pea gravel and larger coverage rocks on top.

Then this is the algae. There’s string algae and and bunches that are attached to rocks. The pond vac can’t suck it off and I have to grab it by hand (if I can reach) and pull off. Been annoying. MOAR PLANTZ!

All the bare roots are…bare. Going to redo rocks and add pea gravel for substrate for them as they seem to be grabbing themselves otherwise.
Ordered 25 pickerweed to put in the shallow back corner by the electrical box. Have some iris trying to establish other places. Water lettuce slow to suck up.
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »