PoconoJoe's bog build

poconojoe
Reactions:

Re: Bog Build

Post by poconojoe »

The water cleared up within a week of starting up the bog and the plants haven't even taken root yet.
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

The plants are looking good a couple of weeks later.
The water is also looking good. I can now see my fish and the bottom of the pond!
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania, zone 6b. So our winters are pretty cold.
I took a chance the first winter and left the bog running. I kept an eye on it hoping the return water wouldn't just flow over the ice and out of the pond. I positioned my deicer nearby to keep a hole in the ice, just in case.
There was no problem at all.
The bog has been running constantly since April, 2020.
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

I'm so happy with the bog.
I've never had water this clear in over 10 years of ponding.
It's definitely the best thing I've done for my pond and for me.
No filter pads to clean.
No filters to take apart.
Just enjoy the pond.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

poconojoe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:20 pm I'm still having issues with posting a picture.
They are too large.
I never have problems in other forums, they seem to adjust the size automatically.

The one in my last post worked fine because I emailed it to myself! The email resized it.
I'm doing this on my android phone.
I tried on my Mac by dragging and dropping, but no good.

How do I EASILY attach photos? Specifically resize them?
@poconojoe

PJ; in the Welcome thread, there's stickies and tutorials for posting just about everything here. Short answer is; when you get the dialog box, above it and to the right of the box labeled 'normal' is an icon (i) which is for Imgur. You click that and it'll ask you what pics you want to upload and resize. You choose then click go/open and Imgur does the rest. It'll put a bunch of code for each pic you chose in your dialog box. That's all there is to it! Let me know if you still have questions. Again, tutorials in the Welcome thread.

P.S. I moved all your build to it's own thread as I think it deserves this. I'll also sticky it so it stays high on the page. Thanks for doing this!

:cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Re: PoconoJoe's bog build

Post by j.w »

@poconojoe everything sure looks nice, water is clear, plants are growing and you can be lazy and just watch it all happen now w/that darn nice bog...................that I don't have :-l
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:47 pm @poconojoe everything sure looks nice, water is clear, plants are growing and you can be lazy and just watch it all happen now w/that darn nice bog...................that I don't have :-l
...and refuse to entertain...(don't forget THAT part!)

:-P
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

brokensword wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:42 pm
poconojoe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:20 pm I'm still having issues with posting a picture.
They are too large.
I never have problems in other forums, they seem to adjust the size automatically.

The one in my last post worked fine because I emailed it to myself! The email resized it.
I'm doing this on my android phone.
I tried on my Mac by dragging and dropping, but no good.

How do I EASILY attach photos? Specifically resize them?
@poconojoe

PJ; in the Welcome thread, there's stickies and tutorials for posting just about everything here. Short answer is; when you get the dialog box, above it and to the right of the box labeled 'normal' is an icon (i) which is for Imgur. You click that and it'll ask you what pics you want to upload and resize. You choose then click go/open and Imgur does the rest. It'll put a bunch of code for each pic you chose in your dialog box. That's all there is to it! Let me know if you still have questions. Again, tutorials in the Welcome thread.

P.S. I moved all your build to it's own thread as I think it deserves this. I'll also sticky it so it stays high on the page. Thanks for doing this!

:cool:
Yeah, I was going to ask if I should have started a new thread, but I figured just add it to the discussion.
I'll snap some new photos so everyone can see what it looks like after 2 years.
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

This is the bog after 2 years.
I have Marsh Marigold, Umbrella plants, Fiber Optic plant, some Corkscrew plant, Iris, Parrot's Feather, Milkweed, Mini Cat Tail, Creeping Jenny, Periwinkle, Forget-Me-Not, Aquatic Mint, some varigated plant, other unknown plants, weeds and who knows what else. If it's growing, I mostly just leave it!
Last year a branch broke off one of my tomato plants. I just stuck the broken branch in the bog and it grew! I even got some tomatoes!
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

The Parrot's Feather is starting to look good in the return water spillway. I plant that every year. I bought a Parrot's Feather this year that is supposed to be winter hardy, so it should come back next year.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:52 pm
j.w wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:47 pm @poconojoe everything sure looks nice, water is clear, plants are growing and you can be lazy and just watch it all happen now w/that darn nice bog...................that I don't have :-l
...and refuse to entertain...(don't forget THAT part!)

:-P
I just don't see a spot for having one and I'm done digging pond stuff.
Now bugger off kingy boy 8-)