Gemma's Raised Beds and Mini Orchard Project

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Re: Gemma's Raised Beds and Mini Orchard Project

Post by Gemma »

ZenQueen wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:24 pm
This is just so cool!!!
Thank you! @ZenQueen Image I hope it turns out as good as I envision it in my head
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
ZenQueen
Reactions:

Post by ZenQueen »

Gemma wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:13 pm
ZenQueen wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:24 pm
This is just so cool!!!
Thank you! @ZenQueen Image I hope it turns out as good as I envision it in my head
Isn’t that always the case 🙃
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Today I got my Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, Swiss Chard and Lettuce planted, other than the Lettuce they're all new to me so that's exciting
I think I'm going to seed more in August and try them as Fall/Winter crops Image

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Gemma wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:42 pm Today I got my Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, Swiss Chard and Lettuce planted, other than the Lettuce they're all new to me so that's exciting
I think I'm going to seed more in August and try them as Fall/Winter crops Image

Wow Gemma...you've been busy..Very organized I see..Everything looks great! Can't wait to see future pics of the gardens..
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

That's a lot of raised beds!

I have 3, but they are large, 4 feet wide and 24 feet long. Any tall things, like corn and tomatoes are planted straight into the garden, not in beds. And winter squash is planted just in the garden as well, on a trellis.

The raised beds are of the Hugelkultur variety. Is that what you were thinking of? Ours are about half full of logs and branches, even complete tree trunks, then soil. They are much easier to work in and easier to pick the produce.

Looks like you are off to a great start there. Best of luck with your garden.
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

WetWork wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:07 pm That's a lot of raised beds!

I have 3, but they are large, 4 feet wide and 24 feet long. Any tall things, like corn and tomatoes are planted straight into the garden, not in beds. And winter squash is planted just in the garden as well, on a trellis.

The raised beds are of the Hugelkultur variety. Is that what you were thinking of? Ours are about half full of logs and branches, even complete tree trunks, then soil. They are much easier to work in and easier to pick the produce.

Looks like you are off to a great start there. Best of luck with your garden.
Thank you so much!
Yes I filled mine the Hugelkultur way, I couldn't remember the word and I trust you for the spelling Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Things are moving along in the food garden.
So the bad news is that the straw I used to top my beds is full of seeds and with all the rain we're having they are sprouting by the hundreds
I was not expecting to having to pull weeds this early in the game I have to find a different mulch that still allow seedlings but just the ones I plant

The good news is that the trellis are done and I was able to plant some more stuff Image

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:51 am Things are moving along in the food garden.
So the bad news is that the straw I used to top my beds is full of seeds and with all the rain we're having they are sprouting by the hundreds
I was not expecting to having to pull weeds this early in the game I have to find a different mulch that still allow seedlings but just the ones I plant

The good news is that the trellis are done and I was able to plant some more stuff Image

once upon a time, I used to tell people to cover their grass seed with straw. Then I did my whole new yard like that. Guess you found out what I found out. NEVER again. No straw, nowhere, nohow. A. Whole. Yard.

yeah, I was young and dumb back then...I'll just go ahead and admit it now lest any of you want to point that out!!!

heh heh

Looking good, Gemma; will be following along and expect a seat at the harvest table in the fall!!

;)
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

@brokensword So you knew that would happen with the straw but you didn't tell me? Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:01 am @brokensword So you knew that would happen with the straw but you didn't tell me? Image
I musta been sick the day you put it down, the notice was in the mail, I TRIED to text you, there was an accident on the 405, I ran out of beer, the carrier pigeon got lost on the way to your house, the smell of pizza was coming in through the window, all my kids wanted my attention at the same time, there was a fire next door and I had to find a hose, the city was going door to door offering to lower our taxes...awwww, I KNOW I can't get away with that last excuse...

So there; that's my story and am sticking to it!
tenor-3975393547.gif
tenor-3975393547.gif (286.77 KiB) Viewed 719 times
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

It all looks so nice @Gemma but darn on the straw. So is it hay you used that the seeds came from. I didn't think straw had seeds? Shame on the Broken King boy not to tell you.
He will receive a good flogging by one of the royal guards immediately 8-)
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:16 pm It all looks so nice @Gemma but darn on the straw. So is it hay you used that the seeds came from. I didn't think straw had seeds? Shame on the Broken King boy not to tell you.
He will receive a good flogging by one of the royal guards immediately 8-)
I have no idea, it looked like straws and it said Straws on the bagImage but it doesn't matter now cause we removed it all and replaced it with mulch

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond