Gemma's Raised Beds and Mini Orchard Project

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Gemma's Raised Beds and Mini Orchard Project

Post by Gemma »

This raised beds and fruit garden is my new project. I (with hubby's help of course) just started laying out and filling the many (lost count) raised beds. The fruit trees and shrubs we ordered (apples, pears, peaches, fig, grapes, blueberries, raspberry, blackberry) should start to arrive today, and I will place them between the beds and the back, and side fence.

To fill the beds with better quality media, I decided to follow the "no dig" method ( it has a name but I can't think of it at the moment) so I started with a layer of cardboard at the very bottom, then I added a layer of logs, then shredded wood and greens, then kitchen scraps and the last 12-14" will be filled with mature compost arriving on Friday.

The fencing will be raised as soon as hubby's done working on the greenhouse
In between the beds I'll put mulch, I can get for free from a friend in the landscape business, but first I have a patch of stubborn groundcover to kill :shock:
There is a deck I would like to turn into a sitting area cover by a grape arbor .. :lol: I have big dreams
I've been growing tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, eggplants and the usual mix salad greens, but I want to go all out and try new things like Artichokes, Fennel, cold crops, corn etc and I'm hoping someone on here knows a lot more than me, cause I'm going to ask a lot of questions Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Gemma's Raised Beds and Mini Orchard Project

Post by j.w »

@Gemma Wow what a deal you have going on there! That's the way to do it, using all those raised beds. Much easier to deal with. Still I will just get my veggies from the store or friends and will watch yours grow :beaming:
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

@j.w I maybe in over my head but I just had to do thisImage
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Gemma wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:59 pm This raised beds and fruit garden is my new project. I (with hubby's help of course) just started laying out and filling the many (lost count) raised beds. The fruit trees and shrubs we ordered (apples, pears, peaches, fig, grapes, blueberries, raspberry, blackberry) should start to arrive today, and I will place them between the beds and the back, and side fence.

To fill the beds with better quality media, I decided to follow the "no dig" method ( it has a name but I can't think of it at the moment) so I started with a layer of cardboard at the very bottom, then I added a layer of logs, then shredded wood and greens, then kitchen scraps and the last 12-14" will be filled with mature compost arriving on Friday.

In between the beds I'll put mulch, I can get for free from a friend in the landscape business, but first I have a patch of stubborn groundcover to kill :shock:
There is a deck I would like to turn into a sitting area cover by a grape arbor .. :lol: I have big dreams
I've been growing tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, eggplants and the usual mix salad greens, but I want to go all out and try new things like Artichokes, Fennel, cold crops, corn etc and I'm hoping someone on here knows a lot more than me, cause I'm going to ask a lot of questions Image
Wow Gemma, awesome job so far...How exciting!...I used to have your kind of energy but now taking care of the pond is about all I have the energy to do:( I will enjoy seeing pics of your gardens and orchard...Please keep us posted:)
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Definitely looks like a project! I WAS wondering why you'd raise all the beds and not use the surrounding soil/moisture field. I'm guessing you'll have to water more this way, right? Ah, I'm a flower/plant guy and only dabble in veggies when wifey puts stuff like that on my to-do list and I don't see it in time to scratch it off...and with the varmints around here, it gets dicey whether we get any crop at all before THEY do. Used to have a completely fenced (even overhead) area for veggies etc and they did okay, I guess. Found myself with a LOT more weeding and since the chore was falling to me, I didn't encourage more or continuance of said project once wifey's interest started to wane...Now, it's an area I TRIED to grow a bunch of Lupines last summer; of the over 200 seedlings I raised during the winter, I think I got 4 plants that survived and that's only because I erected a fence around the survivors! Damn varmint (talking woodchuck, specifically!). Between them and the deer, I can get a bit ornery, ya know?

:mad: :sillybearshock: :lol: :-P :!: :cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

rubyduby wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:06 pm
Gemma wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:59 pm This raised beds and fruit garden is my new project. I (with hubby's help of course) just started laying out and filling the many (lost count) raised beds. The fruit trees and shrubs we ordered (apples, pears, peaches, fig, grapes, blueberries, raspberry, blackberry) should start to arrive today, and I will place them between the beds and the back, and side fence.

Wow Gemma, awesome job so far...How exciting!...I used to have your kind of energy but now taking care of the pond is about all I have the energy to do:( I will enjoy seeing pics of your gardens and orchard...Please keep us posted:)
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:20 pm Definitely looks like a project! I WAS wondering why you'd raise all the beds and not use the surrounding soil/moisture field. I'm guessing you'll have to water more this way, right? Ah, I'm a flower/plant guy and only dabble in veggies when wifey puts stuff like that on my to-do list and I don't see it in time to scratch it off...and with the varmints around here, it gets dicey whether we get any crop at all before THEY do. Used to have a completely fenced (even overhead) area for veggies etc and they did okay, I guess. Found myself with a LOT more weeding and since the chore was falling to me, I didn't encourage more or continuance of said project once wifey's interest started to wane...Now, it's an area I TRIED to grow a bunch of Lupines last summer; of the over 200 seedlings I raised during the winter, I think I got 4 plants that survived and that's only because I erected a fence around the survivors! Damn varmint (talking woodchuck, specifically!). Between them and the deer, I can get a bit ornery, ya know?

Raised beds are expensive but so much easier to control weeds and soil quality. The maintenance would be way too much work if I plant directly in the ground.
I'm a flower gardener first, I plant and give away hundreds of flowering plants every year, the veggies and fruits are a new thing for me
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@Gemma I had to steal that monkey
monkeyjumping2.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:36 pm @Gemma I had to steal that monkey monkeyjumping2.gif
I bet we gots the only royalty that could be labeled a pickpocket...uh, wait, most of the gov does the same thing. Never mind.

:o :roll: :beaming: :cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:36 pm @Gemma I had to steal that monkey monkeyjumping2.gif
Help yourself whenever you see something you like!Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

brokensword wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:20 pm Definitely looks like a project! I WAS wondering why you'd raise all the beds and not use the surrounding soil/moisture field. I'm guessing you'll have to water more this way, right? Ah, I'm a flower/plant guy and only dabble in veggies when wifey puts stuff like that on my to-do list and I don't see it in time to scratch it off...and with the varmints around here, it gets dicey whether we get any crop at all before THEY do. Used to have a completely fenced (even overhead) area for veggies etc and they did okay, I guess. Found myself with a LOT more weeding and since the chore was falling to me, I didn't encourage more or continuance of said project once wifey's interest started to wane...Now, it's an area I TRIED to grow a bunch of Lupines last summer; of the over 200 seedlings I raised during the winter, I think I got 4 plants that survived and that's only because I erected a fence around the survivors! Damn varmint (talking woodchuck, specifically!). Between them and the deer, I can get a bit ornery, ya know?

I love lupine :!: ...When I lived in Nova Scotia they were everywhere!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
ZenQueen
Reactions:

Post by ZenQueen »

This is just so cool!!!