Wanting to add fish

KellyZ22
Reactions:

Wanting to add fish

Post by KellyZ22 »

I have a fairly new pond, well actually I built it last Summer and it's about 1200 gals, 2ft deep w/some plants but no fish yet. Wondering when and how many fish I can put in that size pond. I have a Biosteps external filter that uses Matala pads and has a water fall too. Want small fish and not the big koi as I know I don't have room for them. Are there certain fish that will do better in my pond and are hardy? I know about regular goldfish that come in orange and some are even orange and white patches. Would like to get your opinions. Oh I am in zone 8 for weather so not horribly cold winters.
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Wanting to add fish

Post by j.w »

You would love the Shubunkin type goldfish. They have nice bright colors and different patterns on them. They would do well in your pond. I wouldn't put in but a few at a time. Maybe end up w/20 or so when done. Some people like to put those fat Fantail goldfish in too. They say they are quite hardy. I've never had any tho.

Shubbies, I call them:

Shubbie3.jpg

Fantails:
fantails 2.jpg
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:35 pm You would love the Shubunkin type goldfish. They have nice bright colors and different patterns on them. They would do well in your pond. I wouldn't put in but a few at a time. Maybe end up w/20 or so when done. Some people like to put those fat Fantail goldfish in too. They say they are quite hardy. I've never had any tho.

Shubbies, I call them:

Shubbie3.jpg

Fantails:

fantails 2.jpg
I second what lil Queenie posted; I started with gf too, had all the colors from plain comets, to sarassa, to fully white ones and the shubunkins. Makes a nice mix. And 20 sounds about right to me, too but you can also just get a handful and watch them make BABIES!!! Which they will, so don't turn your back too often if you don't want a LOT of goldfish. What I found is at first, I kept the babies separate until I realized once they get half an inch to 3/4 of an inch, the adults don't look twice at them. So after I established a 'herd', I stopped feeding the fish during spawning and let nature take it's course. You hope the eggs get eaten as not fun to have to re-home fish, esp if you don't know anyone else with a pond! Now, I do still get babies even with over 100+ adult gf and 38 koi simply because the pond is larger and there's folds and plants where any stray eggs/babies can hide. I'll be more careful this year, esp, re feeding. :-P
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

goldfish are pretty hardy creatures and can survive cold better than koi so definitely get those. Lots of nice color on subunkins.
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

I vote shubunkin!
They are very colorful and have beautiful flowing fins.