pond plants?

j.w
Reactions:

Re: pond plants?

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:57 am
j.w wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:34 am

The queen can do it! Needs no help from those in the hood. Not talking about boulders either. Mostly I can haul them up by scooting my long handled net along the bottom and herding the rock to the side and then somehow get it in the net gently and halfway up grab the sucker before it drags me down under :twisted:
oh boy, we just gotta get CNN or FoxNews to send a camera crew out for when THAT happens!!! I'll get a requisition started right away!

:mrgreen: :lol: :o :cool: ;)
Let me know when they are on their way. I will wear my best jeweled crown
queen2.gif
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

j.w wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:34 am
darkmuse wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:00 pm
j.w wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:07 pm

I do have shelves down 18" for plant pots but I don't like having to go in or lean over into the pond much anymore and Iris need to be cut back,divided and repotted and kept looking nice so I decided no on that deal. Trying to use stuff that is easy to maintain and does well on it's own.
The Queen is aging to perfection and good help is hard to find ya know :arrow:
I understand as I made my shelves a bit too deep too and regret it. Wish I'd made at least part only 12" or less. Dragging them up is more trouble than it's worth sometimes.

Any strong young chaps in your neck of the woods you could hire out? :arrow:
The queen can do it! Needs no help from those in the hood. Not talking about boulders either. Mostly I can haul them up by scooting my long handled net along the bottom and herding the rock to the side and then somehow get it in the net gently and halfway up grab the sucker before it drags me down under :twisted:
I've done this too. Not always with your success rate, either! I've used a shovel to scoop rocks up from the bottom and if they are not flat enough, it seems halfway up they suddenly slip off and I'm cursing all over again! The things we do for ponds, huh? You should get that knight guy you talk about to fish the rocks out when they go down--it seems he has less to do than the 'castle marm' has assigned. So I've read, at least! Something about you and your scepter. :D
solaria5505
Reactions:

Post by solaria5505 »

j.w wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:00 pm
solaria5505 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:37 pm I don't have any live plants in eh pond just some on the edges. Iris and horsetail mainly but looking to find some creping genny as the color is nice and it doesn't look hard to grow. @j.w how long have you had the cat tails and do they spread very fast?
I have the yellow ones like you.
Creeping Jenny is easy to find at most any plant place. I have had the cattails for 15 yrs and they have not really spread much maybe due to being stuck between the rocks in my pond on the top shelf. You can put them in a pot also if you are afraid they might make holes. I took my Iris out as they were pushing the rocks down into the pond as their roots got so big. No more Iris.
I like iris too and will shop for some different ones this spring when I get out to the pond store again. Thank you for the creping jenny idea.
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

Marsh Marigold. It's a beautiful plant.
It blooms pretty yellow flowers in the Spring and Fall.
I'm in zone 6b, northeastern Pennsylvania and it comes back bigger and better every year.
I started with one Marsh Marigold plant and others have sprung up.
The same in the bog. I put one in there a couple years ago, now there's three!

I would add a picture, but I can't figure out how! Duh!
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

poconojoe wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:54 pm Marsh Marigold. It's a beautiful plant.
It blooms pretty yellow flowers in the Spring and Fall.
I'm in zone 6b, northeastern Pennsylvania and it comes back bigger and better every year.
I started with one Marsh Marigold plant and others have sprung up.
The same in the bog. I put one in there a couple years ago, now there's three!

Good suggestion...Marsh Marigold is a great plant and the flowers are so bright and beautiful. I can't grow them here in Florida but I had them in the bog at my cabin in the Adirondacks...
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@poconojoe I am in zone 8 now, they changed it from zone 7 so I don't think I can grow them here either but I wish I could. I love the way they look!

Ok on the adding the photo thing. You see that button down below that says Full Editor & Preview? click that and then choose that little box at the top of the posting area that is black w/a green dot. When you point your cursor over it it will say:Upload the selected images.............yada, yada and so on. Click that box and then it should open to where you store your photos and you can choose as many as you want, one at a time and it will load them to your post. You can position them where you want them in the post and then click preview to see if you like where they are etc. When all is the way you like it you just click submit. There is also a better explanation of this in the Faq section area at the top where you can look for the directions to all things on this forum.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

poconojoe wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:54 pm

PJ; you can drag from your desktop to the dialog window, or, you can use the 'Imgur' icon above the dialog box (looks like an 'i') and it will ask which pic you want, you select, it then does it's magic. If you go with the first method (for any pics under 2mb, which is the limit), if you look below your dialog box AFTER you drag it, you'll get the option to either 'place inline' or 'delete '. If you don't choose 'place inline' it will appear as an attachment to your post. If you look in the Welcome thread, there's lots of 'how to's' for the forum.
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

:Heyhmm:
j.w wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:21 pm @darkmuse Parrots Feather where I live comes back after Winter. It looks like it's dead but always makes a comeback and we have gone below -6f for a few days. It can take quite cold freezing as I have a friend who lives in MD and it gets temps pretty low back there for longer periods and lots of snow at times too. Her pond can freeze over but the Parrots Feather returns in Spring.
Cattails have been in between my rocks ever since I built this pond over 15 yrs ago and no issues of going through my liner. It's 45 mil EPDM and it's darn tough. You can buy liners in thicker grade also but I don't think I have a need for that here as no deer are gonna jump in there and walk around on it.
I think there are different varieties of Parrot's Feather. I was at my favorite garden/pond center recently and the owner pointed out Parrot's Feather that was winter hardy. I bought a pot full. I'm in zone 6b.
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:21 am

PJ; you can drag from your desktop to the dialog window, or, you can use the 'Imgur' icon above the dialog box (looks like an 'i') and it will ask which pic you want, you select, it then does it's magic. If you go with the first method (for any pics under 2mb, which is the limit), if you look below your dialog box AFTER you drag it, you'll get the option to either 'place inline' or 'delete '. If you don't choose 'place inline' it will appear as an attachment to your post. If you look in the Welcome thread, there's lots of 'how to's' for the forum.
I feel dumb!
Where's this thing that looks like an "i"? I don't see it! :roll:
I'm on an android phone, is that the problem?
Maybe I need to go on the mac....
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

poconojoe wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:41 pm

I feel dumb!
Hmmmmmmm, maybe that is your problem. I don't have a cell so can't help ya. @brokensword will need to help you. Where are you @brokensword ?
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

poconojoe wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:41 pm

I feel dumb!
took a screenshot for you, PJ; and remember, pics under 2mb you can just drag, then place inline (screenshot of that area, too!
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 2.17.02 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 2.17.02 PM.jpg (146.76 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 2.18.32 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 2.18.32 PM.jpg (102.57 KiB) Viewed 614 times
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html