pond plants?

darkmuse
Reactions:

pond plants?

Post by darkmuse »

does anyone have any good suggestions for marginal plants? I use water hyacinths in the summer but need more on the edges. And my eco filter could use some variation any ideas for something different? Any pictures? I'm in 6a hardiness zone, so they have to survive some snow. Thank you.
j.w
Reactions:

Re: pond plants?

Post by j.w »

I stick Sedges in between the rocks so their feet are in water. Mini cattails I do the same. Have some Black Mondo grass in there also. You can do it w/Parrots Feather and Creeping Jenny. Iris will work too but I took mine out as the roots got so big they started shoving the rocks down into the pond. Tons of other plants out there to use also.

One type of Sedge, there are many others to choose from:

These are in a bathtub but I have some in my big pond also, just didn't have a photo of them in the pond:

The Black Mondo grass hasn't been in there too long so it looks kinda spindly:

Here is some Parrots Feather stuck in the rocks. It can really take off!

Creeping Jenny is a real creeper so watch out and don't let it take over your whole property. It's easy to pull out or cut off.

Yellow Flag Iris:

darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

j.w wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:26 am I stick Sedges in between the rocks so their feet are in water. Mini cattails I do the same. Have some Black Mondo grass in there also. You can do it w/Parrots Feather and Creeping Jenny. Iris will work too but I took mine out as the roots got so big they started shoving the rocks down into the pond. Tons of other plants out there to use also.

One type of Sedge, there are many others to choose from:

These are in a bathtub but I have some in my big pond also, just didn't have a photo of them in the pond:

The Black Mondo grass hasn't been in there too long so it looks kinda spindly:

Here is some Parrots Feather stuck in the rocks. It can really take off!

Creeping Jenny is a real creeper so watch out and don't let it take over your whole property. It's easy to pull out or cut off.

Yellow Flag Iris:

Do you keep the parrots feather alive all winter? I used to have some but it didn't make it with the snow and freezing temperatures. And don't you worry about the cat tails? I think I read about puncturing a liner with those. They look nice though, even between growing seasons.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@darkmuse Parrots Feather where I live comes back after Winter. It looks like it's dead but always makes a comeback and we have gone below -6f for a few days. It can take quite cold freezing as I have a friend who lives in MD and it gets temps pretty low back there for longer periods and lots of snow at times too. Her pond can freeze over but the Parrots Feather returns in Spring.
Cattails have been in between my rocks ever since I built this pond over 15 yrs ago and no issues of going through my liner. It's 45 mil EPDM and it's darn tough. You can buy liners in thicker grade also but I don't think I have a need for that here as no deer are gonna jump in there and walk around on it.
solaria5505
Reactions:

Post by solaria5505 »

I don't have any live plants in eh pond just some on the edges. Iris and horsetail mainly but looking to find some creping genny as the color is nice and it doesn't look hard to grow. @j.w how long have you had the cat tails and do they spread very fast?
I have the yellow ones like you.
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

j.w wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:21 pm @darkmuse Parrots Feather where I live comes back after Winter. It looks like it's dead but always makes a comeback and we have gone below -6f for a few days. It can take quite cold freezing as I have a friend who lives in MD and it gets temps pretty low back there for longer periods and lots of snow at times too. Her pond can freeze over but the Parrots Feather returns in Spring.
Cattails have been in between my rocks ever since I built this pond over 15 yrs ago and no issues of going through my liner. It's 45 mil EPDM and it's darn tough. You can buy liners in thicker grade also but I don't think I have a need for that here as no deer are gonna jump in there and walk around on it.
I'll see to picking some up and giving it a try as I like the look of parrots feather. The cattails look nice too but not sure I want to chance it with the liner.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

solaria5505 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:37 pm I don't have any live plants in eh pond just some on the edges. Iris and horsetail mainly but looking to find some creping genny as the color is nice and it doesn't look hard to grow. @j.w how long have you had the cat tails and do they spread very fast?
Creeping Jenny is easy to find at most any plant place. I have had the cattails for 15 yrs and they have not really spread much maybe due to being stuck between the rocks in my pond on the top shelf. You can put them in a pot also if you are afraid they might make holes. I took my Iris out as they were pushing the rocks down into the pond as their roots got so big. No more Iris.
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

j.w wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:00 pm
solaria5505 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:37 pm I don't have any live plants in eh pond just some on the edges. Iris and horsetail mainly but looking to find some creping genny as the color is nice and it doesn't look hard to grow. @j.w how long have you had the cat tails and do they spread very fast?
Creeping Jenny is easy to find at most any plant place. I have had the cattails for 15 yrs and they have not really spread much maybe due to being stuck between the rocks in my pond on the top shelf. You can put them in a pot also if you are afraid they might make holes. I took my Iris out as they were pushing the rocks down into the pond as their roots got so big. No more Iris.
good to know and I'll be on the lookout for the jenny. Might even experiment with cat tails as yours don't seem to be that aggressive if you've had them that long. What if you put your iris in a pot on a shelf? I always liked the flag iris.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

darkmuse wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:25 pm
good to know and I'll be on the lookout for the jenny. Might even experiment with cat tails as yours don't seem to be that aggressive if you've had them that long. What if you put your iris in a pot on a shelf? I always liked the flag iris.
I do have shelves down 18" for plant pots but I don't like having to go in or lean over into the pond much anymore and Iris need to be cut back,divided and repotted and kept looking nice so I decided no on that deal. Trying to use stuff that is easy to maintain and does well on it's own.
The Queen is aging to perfection and good help is hard to find ya know :arrow:
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

j.w wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:07 pm

I do have shelves down 18" for plant pots but I don't like having to go in or lean over into the pond much anymore and Iris need to be cut back,divided and repotted and kept looking nice so I decided no on that deal. Trying to use stuff that is easy to maintain and does well on it's own.
I understand as I made my shelves a bit too deep too and regret it. Wish I'd made at least part only 12" or less. Dragging them up is more trouble than it's worth sometimes.

Any strong young chaps in your neck of the woods you could hire out? :arrow:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

darkmuse wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:00 pm
j.w wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:07 pm

I understand as I made my shelves a bit too deep too and regret it. Wish I'd made at least part only 12" or less. Dragging them up is more trouble than it's worth sometimes.

Any strong young chaps in your neck of the woods you could hire out? :arrow:
The queen can do it! Needs no help from those in the hood. Not talking about boulders either. Mostly I can haul them up by scooting my long handled net along the bottom and herding the rock to the side and then somehow get it in the net gently and halfway up grab the sucker before it drags me down under :twisted:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:34 am

The queen can do it! Needs no help from those in the hood. Not talking about boulders either. Mostly I can haul them up by scooting my long handled net along the bottom and herding the rock to the side and then somehow get it in the net gently and halfway up grab the sucker before it drags me down under :twisted:
oh boy, we just gotta get CNN or FoxNews to send a camera crew out for when THAT happens!!! I'll get a requisition started right away!

:mrgreen: :lol: :o :cool: ;)
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html