Keeping birds out of pond

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: Keeping birds out of pond

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:12 pm I think I am really gonna like this @darkmuse member queen.gif

@brokensword A bump only for 1 week? I'll have to get better at this in the future Kingy Boy :twisted:
oh, you're already 'good' at this; the bump was still there but you couldn't SEE it after a week! And don't go fawning after the other members; it's THEY that has ta fawn over YOU, capiche! I mean, you DO have a rep!! Uh, wait, just remembered the rep...

:cool: :idea: :o
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

Not trying to create friction, but I'll stay on the queen's side of this! I don't want to find out first hand if she's left handed or right handed! No bumps on my to do list today!
Robin
Reactions:

Post by Robin »

I did acquire a net and am going to put it up this weekend. Finally will be happy knowing my fish will survive.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Good deal on the net and I know it will give you peace of mind and hope you can make it so you can enter the pond easy too. I just have mine attached to the short fence around the bottom w/S hooks and also the fence is wire so it has some metal parts that also allow me to just hook on those also. When I want to do some work like using a long handled net to scoop out muck or leaves I just lift the net and kind of wad it up and use an S hook to hook it to the rope I have around the top edge of the net that is woven through the net holes. Holds if up nice while I work.

Easy peasy
yes56.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:10 pm Good deal on the net and I know it will give you peace of mind and hope you can make it so you can enter the pond easy too. I just have mine attached to the short fence around the bottom w/S hooks and also the fence is wire so it has some metal parts that also allow me to just hook on those also. When I want to do some work like using a long handled net to scoop out muck or leaves I just lift the net and kind of wad it up and use an S hook to hook it to the rope I have around the top edge of the net that is woven through the net holes. Holds if up nice while I work.

Easy peasy yes56.gif
you could also use a couple bungee cords as the elastic would keep it taut. I have more than a few of these on my truck for tying stuff down.

:sillybearshock: :o :cool:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Robin wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:02 pm I did acquire a net and am going to put it up this weekend. Finally will be happy knowing my fish will survive.
good deal on the net! It's the only preventative I'VE heard that actually works for the long term. Never suspected when I screened in my pond that I'd get so many other benefits, like heron protection out of it!

:grin:
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

good idea getting the net, yopu won't be sorry.
solaria5505
Reactions:

Post by solaria5505 »

Robin wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:38 pm Thank you for that advice @brokensword and am learning how to use these little name effect things on the forum. I am going to use a net and hopefully that will keep the bird out. I like the looks of the wooden build cover you have better than a net but at least for now I can use the net. Who knows maybe someday I will find someone to build me a nice set up w/a wood structure cover.
what name effectss thing? Not sure what you mean. I need to get a net now too, so thank you for asking. My pond is small though and I've never seen a heron or duck yet. Still new to this pond hobby.
Robin
Reactions:

Post by Robin »

Oh the @ sign thing and then you put someones forum name after it and it gets their attention.
Like this: @solaria5505 See how it turns red?

I have had the heron visit but not sure he got any of my fish. I don't notice any missing. Maybe they are good hiders but the bird keeps coming back. He is sorta shy on seeing the hanging things that blow in the wind but I'm not taking any chances so the net it is!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Robin wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:01 pm Oh the @ sign thing and then you put someones forum name after it and it gets their attention.

I have had the heron visit but not sure he got any of my fish. I don't notice any missing. Maybe they are good hiders but the bird keeps coming back. He is sorta shy on seeing the hanging things that blow in the wind but I'm not taking any chances so the net it is!
I like to name my fish; got any names for yours? I know the rule; name them and that's the one that gets eaten by the heron, or jumps out, or gets caught in the skimmer, or...or...you get the picture! But, ask lil Queenie--she'll tell you I see it more as guidelines...

I wonder if @j.w has any of hers named...gonna hafta ask!

:sillybearshock:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:10 am
Robin wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:01 pm Oh the @ sign thing and then you put someones forum name after it and it gets their attention.

I like to name my fish; got any names for yours? I know the rule; name them and that's the one that gets eaten by the heron, or jumps out, or gets caught in the skimmer, or...or...you get the picture! But, ask lil Queenie--she'll tell you I see it more as guidelines...

I don't name my fish but still seems like my favorite ones die. All my shubbies are gone now. Only regular goldfish left :?
solaria5505
Reactions:

Post by solaria5505 »

j.w wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:32 pm
brokensword wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:10 am

I don't name my fish but still seems like my favorite ones die. All my shubbies are gone now. Only regular goldfish left :?
I like the different colors but goldfish are still fine fish to have. I'm planning on looking for some shujbunkins this year! I hope you will too!