Keeping birds out of pond

Robin
Reactions:

Keeping birds out of pond

Post by Robin »

I would like to know how you all keep birds out of your ponds. Mainly the big gray Heron type. One keeps coming back to my pond and I don't have a fenced yard as my neighbor does. She has a big dog that stays outside in her fenced yard and keeps the bird outta her pond. I can't do that. I tried hanging things on sticks around but that didn't work very long. Think I may have to make some kind of cover but I don't want to have to lift it off whenever I view the fish. What can I do? Thank you.
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Keeping birds out of pond

Post by j.w »

Robin wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:35 am I would like to know how you all keep birds out of your ponds. Mainly the big gray Heron type. One keeps coming back to my pond and I don't have a fenced yard as my neighbor does. She has a big dog that stays outside in her fenced yard and keeps the bird outta her pond. I can't do that. I tried hanging things on sticks around but that didn't work very long. Think I may have to make some kind of cover but I don't want to have to lift it off whenever I view the fish. What can I do? Thank you.
I had to resort to a net after trying everything else. Mine is up on stakes so I can easily enter the pond when I need to do any maintenance. I can also easily detach it from the bottom short wire fence I have it attached to. My net is wide weave fishing net and it has really eased my mind on keeping my fish safe.

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:57 pm
Robin wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:35 am I would like to know how you all keep birds out of your ponds. Mainly the big gray Heron type. One keeps coming back to my pond and I don't have a fenced yard as my neighbor does. She has a big dog that stays outside in her fenced yard and keeps the bird outta her pond. I can't do that. I tried hanging things on sticks around but that didn't work very long. Think I may have to make some kind of cover but I don't want to have to lift it off whenever I view the fish. What can I do? Thank you.
I had to resort to a net after trying everything else. Mine is up on stakes so I can easily enter the pond when I need to do any maintenance. I can also easily detach it from the bottom short wire fence I have it attached to. My net is wide weave fishing net and it has really eased my mind on keeping my fish safe.

I concur; a net is the only deterrent story I've heard that been proven to stop herons, though you still need to tie down any hanging sides, especially if you have a pond in Maryland. Smart, smart birds for sure. And patient. I still shake my head when others note 'I have fish caves to protect them' and they don't understand how patient a heron really is. Sure, they'll go deep, but for how long? So, a net, and at least 12" ABOVE the water; heard stories of fish getting speared right through a net if it's too close to the water!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@Robin you should check out @brokensword 's pond covering. It is very nice but unless you are a carpenter or have someone you know who is then I imagine it would be pricey to have built. Check out his showcase in the showcase thread. Or maybe he will post a photo of it here?
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:35 pm Or maybe he will post a photo of it here?
grumble mutter...always with the Royal edicts!! Sheesh; here ya goes yer Megarsty! (btw, the Imgur extension for getting pics in that are too large is a great little feature, hey? Works like a charm!)

j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword yep that's your pond and I like that Imgur deal, it works great!

Sorry you had to lift a finger today Mr Kingy boy
king staff.gif
Robin
Reactions:

Post by Robin »

Well I will need to think about all this and think I am leaning towards the netting as my budget won't allow for that beautiful setup that brokensword showed and mentioned. I don't have a handyman to build that for me.
Thanks for the info and I found the net setting up Showcase thread that jw has posted so I can use that to guide me but if I need more info I will be sure to come and ask. Thank bunches :arrow:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Robin wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:28 pm Well I will need to think about all this and think I am leaning towards the netting as my budget won't allow for that beautiful setup that brokensword showed and mentioned. I don't have a handyman to build that for me.
Thanks for the info and I found the net setting up Showcase thread that jw has posted so I can use that to guide me but if I need more info I will be sure to come and ask. Thank bunches :arrow:
if you check Craig's List, might find a significant other, erm, I mean handyman, to put one up for ya! But a net really works the best and if you use the 4" open weave like lil Queenie, @j.w , you'll get used to not even noticing it! Now, it's not bear, bobcat, wolverine, or even moose proof, so be warned! :-P :o ;) :cool:
Robin
Reactions:

Post by Robin »

Thank you for that advice @brokensword and am learning how to use these little name effect things on the forum. I am going to use a net and hopefully that will keep the bird out. I like the looks of the wooden build cover you have better than a net but at least for now I can use the net. Who knows maybe someday I will find someone to build me a nice set up w/a wood structure cover.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Robin wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:38 pm Thank you for that advice @brokensword and am learning how to use these little name effect things on the forum. I am going to use a net and hopefully that will keep the bird out. I like the looks of the wooden build cover you have better than a net but at least for now I can use the net. Who knows maybe someday I will find someone to build me a nice set up w/a wood structure cover.
you're quite welcome, Robin; if you need any other pointer forums, our lil Miss Queenie @j.w knows all and sees all! Careful when she's swinging her scepter around--whacked me once and I had a bump on me head fer a week!

heh heh

:shock: :o :razz: ;) :cool:
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

Yes, I've seen @j.w answer all sorts of questions and must be the brains behind this outfit! You won't go wrong listening to her! Welcome to the forum.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

I think I am really gonna like this @darkmuse member
queen.gif
@brokensword A bump only for 1 week? I'll have to get better at this in the future Kingy Boy :twisted: