Post by brokensword »

a slideshow of the koi and goldfish in the pond for 2022;
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
rubyduby
Reactions:

Re: koi and goldfish 2022

Post by rubyduby »

brokensword wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:32 am a slideshow of the koi and goldfish in the pond for 2022;
Awesome shots brokensword...They all look so healthy (as does your pond:)
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:32 am a slideshow of the koi and goldfish in the pond for 2022;
They all look happy,beautiful and doing their fish things. Only saw one w/the bumps on it.
Think is was a whitish one and it was swimming around like nothing wrong :beaming:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:57 pm
They all look happy,beautiful and doing their fish things. Only saw one w/the bumps on it.
Think is was a whitish one and it was swimming around like nothing wrong :beaming:
well, that one in particular I just found a couple days ago, floating. Now, I had not seen any behavior that was concerning, except for those white waxy lumps. It was one of my originals, so a bit sad here. I'm still not altogether sure if this koi pox thing is at fault or just makes the fish more prone when situations get dicey. I mean, the water this year has been higher temp than last by a fair bit, so it isn't the arctic blast we had, and except for a sudden 6" water loss (no idea yet how/why), everything has been fine. I don't look forward to spring with this koi pox thing but am resigned to accept whatever happens and am hoping for the best. There won't be any more fish buying until I'm sure koi pox is not causing issues. But overall, yeah, the fish are doing pretty good. I tend to fixate on the few with obvious signs; there's at least 3 with ulcers/wounds from late fall that still have them. I don't know how much they'll affect these fish re spring and being more vulnerable then, but we're going to see.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

rubyduby wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:25 pm
Awesome shots brokensword...They all look so healthy (as does your pond:)
well, not as healthy as in past years but overall, the herd is okay. I'm waiting until early summer to see if this koi pox thing is going to be a haunt or an annoyance. Thanks for the looksee, Ruby!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:16 am
j.w wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:57 pm
well, that one in particular I just found a couple days ago, floating. Now, I had not seen any behavior that was concerning, except for those white waxy lumps. It was one of my originals, so a bit sad here. I'm still not altogether sure if this koi pox thing is at fault or just makes the fish more prone when situations get dicey. I mean, the water this year has been higher temp than last by a fair bit, so it isn't the arctic blast we had, and except for a sudden 6" water loss (no idea yet how/why), everything has been fine. I don't look forward to spring with this koi pox thing but am resigned to accept whatever happens and am hoping for the best. There won't be any more fish buying until I'm sure koi pox is not causing issues. But overall, yeah, the fish are doing pretty good. I tend to fixate on the few with obvious signs; there's at least 3 with ulcers/wounds from late fall that still have them. I don't know how much they'll affect these fish re spring and being more vulnerable then, but we're going to see.
Oh no, what a bummer! I hate seeing your beautiful fish pass away like that and I know it is so much worse for you especially when you don't know why and then don't know how to help it stop for the ones that are left. Good plan on no more fish buying. Hope Spring comes and no issues!