Koi varieties.jpg
Koi varieties.jpg (166.87 KiB) Viewed 546 times
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
darkmuse
Reactions:

Re: Koi Varieties

Post by darkmuse »

I like the different colors but know they can get vry large, so am sticking with goldfish. Shubunkins are almost as good as koi that way.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

darkmuse wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:05 pm I like the different colors but know they can get vry large, so am sticking with goldfish. Shubunkins are almost as good as koi that way.
up to 3' and very quickly, though I've found if you're NOT trying to get champion size fish, the rate is both slower and less. So far, at least. I have fish going on their 4th/5th year of growth and they are at 16". Hoping they stay at 20" or less so I avoid bioload problems! :-P :cool: ;)
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

darkmuse wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:05 pm I like the different colors but know they can get vry large, so am sticking with goldfish. Shubunkins are almost as good as koi that way.
I like the idea of having a pond full of Shubunkin's as they are so colorful w/the different patterns, like smallish koi.
If I had it to do over that's what I would have chosen instead of 12 all oj feeder fish.
Oh well I love them anyways :!:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:59 pm
I like the idea of having a pond full of Shubunkin's as they are so colorful w/the different patterns, like smallish koi.
If I had it to do over that's what I would have chosen instead of 12 all oj feeder fish.
You should seriously source a couple more; it would be fun for you and give you more reason to spend time by the pond! Getting into koi helped ME that way...
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:22 pm
You should seriously source a couple more; it would be fun for you and give you more reason to spend time by the pond! Getting into koi helped ME that way...
I don't want to add more right now as I had a fish loss last year due to too many fish pooing and making my filters fill up too fast. If the others die off someday I will add the Shubbies as I love them!
solaria5505
Reactions:

Post by solaria5505 »

what are shuubunkis? do you have any pix? i don't have coy jsut goldfish but i like the red and black ones best.
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

We all have those woulda shoulda coulda moments! And is there any reason you can't put more 'smallish koi' in now?
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@darkmuse Here are some photo's of Shubbies as I call them. Not my photo's. Taken off the net.
I wait to add new fish to my pond till the weather gets warmer, like in the 60's or 70's and the water is warmer so they can adjust better. Make sure your pond is cycled also. You can use something called Prime to make it adjust faster but I have never used it myself.

darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

j.w wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:47 pm @darkmuse Here are some photo's of Shubbies as I call them. Not my photo's. Taken off the net.
I wait to add new fish to my pond till the weather gets warmer, like in the 60's or 70's and the water is warmer so they can adjust better. Make sure your pond is cycled also. You can use something called Prime to make it adjust faster but I have never used it myself.

yes, very nice looking fish. Great pics of them. Mine are less spotted and more splotchy. Very much like koi but a lot easier to keep!
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

I love all Koi, but I prefer the metallic oppose to the classic show koi ( Sanke, Showa etc)
I had 2 shubbies up until last Fall, then I lost my Red, he was 14yrs old, now I'm afraid I will soon lose the other one too Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:37 pm I love all Koi, but I prefer the metallic oppose to the classic show koi ( Sanke, Showa etc)
I had 2 shubbies up until last Fall, then I lost my Red, he was 14yrs old, now I'm afraid I will soon lose the other one too Image
I noted that to j.w too; it seems the shubbies are more prone to dying over winter than the comets. Can't fathom why, but I know my shubbie herd has shrunk over time. Used to have 20ish, now I think I'm down to under 10.

I like almost all the koi types, but favor the utsuris the most; I had some red shubbies with black markings when they were still young, called them 'Tiger 1 and 2'. Loved the look but as they grew, they lost that pattern. That's when I started seeing koi differently! ;)