late Sept video UW

brokensword
me
Reactions:

late Sept video UW

Post by brokensword »

just after I fed them, so they slow down nicely for filming!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Re: late Sept video UW

Post by j.w »

You have a beautiful herd Kingy boy!
#1.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:34 pm You have a beautiful herd Kingy boy!#1.gif
working on it; I DID lose one a month ago (got dropsy and I couldn't save it, unfortunately, it was one of my butterfly koi)! So nice to have my UW cam back again!!

:D :D :D
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Not fun to lost a fish but darn, why did it have to be a butterfly, my fave?
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:44 pm Not fun to lost a fish but darn, why did it have to be a butterfly, my fave?
dunno; it was the all silver one I got early this spring. The yin to the golden yang. That's twice I've lost the same type of koi (it was a platinum ogon). Dropsy isn't contagious and none of the others have it, but there are a couple that have an ulcer, which is slightly concerning and making me second guess a bit about how many fish I have. I'm hoping those get better on their own. There's a few goldfish that have ulcers too but I think most of those happened before the expansion. They can live a long time with such (the gf; the koi version is a bit more concerning) and nothing I can do about them. They act fine, eat fine, do their thing, so I just hope for the best.

:???:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:14 am
j.w wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:44 pm Not fun to lost a fish but darn, why did it have to be a butterfly, my fave?
dunno; it was the all silver one I got early this spring. The yin to the golden yang. That's twice I've lost the same type of koi (it was a platinum ogon). Dropsy isn't contagious and none of the others have it, but there are a couple that have an ulcer, which is slightly concerning and making me second guess a bit about how many fish I have. I'm hoping those get better on their own. There's a few goldfish that have ulcers too but I think most of those happened before the expansion. They can live a long time with such (the gf; the koi version is a bit more concerning) and nothing I can do about them. They act fine, eat fine, do their thing, so I just hope for the best.

So sorry you lost that pretty fish. One of my goldfish has round lumps, one near the eye and another on the other side just away from that eye. It seems to live on for years that way and does not act ill. I have had others like that also and I just leave them be to live out their lives.
You do have a ton of fish in there but the water looks so clear and fresh and all the fish look good to me so I don't know why this happens either. Do you test your water? I never do anymore.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:24 pm

So sorry you lost that pretty fish. One of my goldfish has round lumps, one near the eye and another on the other side just away from that eye. It seems to live on for years that way and does not act ill. I have had others like that also and I just leave them be to live out their lives.
You do have a ton of fish in there but the water looks so clear and fresh and all the fish look good to me so I don't know why this happens either. Do you test your water? I never do anymore.
No, I don't. I have (the pool downstairs last winter) because the fish there were suddenly dying on me and I knew I better check something. The tests were fine, btw, so I put it down to incompatible water compared to where I'd bought them. Now, I probably won't buy anymore during the winter anymore just because the percentage of fish lost was much higher than just buying/getting in the summer. Your fish have ulcers (like my gf) and as you said, can live decently long lives. Supposedly, this is a sign of water that had issues and the lumps is the resulting problem. And before I expanded, for sure having 100+ in 2500 gallons is going to give issues, hence why I expanded. 7K gallons is a lot more latitude now for issues.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:03 pm
j.w wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:24 pm

No, I don't. I have (the pool downstairs last winter) because the fish there were suddenly dying on me and I knew I better check something. The tests were fine, btw, so I put it down to incompatible water compared to where I'd bought them. Now, I probably won't buy anymore during the winter anymore just because the percentage of fish lost was much higher than just buying/getting in the summer. Your fish have ulcers (like my gf) and as you said, can live decently long lives. Supposedly, this is a sign of water that had issues and the lumps is the resulting problem. And before I expanded, for sure having 100+ in 2500 gallons is going to give issues, hence why I expanded. 7K gallons is a lot more latitude now for issues.
Yep mine got the lumps when I had a ton of goldfish in there a few years ago. Now only about 20 left and most are not big as the biggest ones all died off and on over the years. Things look way better now too w/the water. It is clear now and used to be quite foggy looking. Lots of muck from too many fish back then.