First pond place experience

brokensword
me
Reactions:

First pond place experience

Post by brokensword »

Just thought I'd ask; what was your first pond place/supply experience? Be as detailed or dramatic (like we don't do THAT around here!!) as you want!

For me; first time was when I went to Grass Roots, a pond supply place here in Michigan, in the city of Romulus. Took 45 minutes via freeway and sort of out in the country. The place was eye-opening as I'd never been to a pond supply before. We'd just finished the pond and of course, wanted to get some plants and fish. I had various stuff for the embankments but nothing or experience with marginals or pond plants proper. Of course mrsbrokensword wanted water lilies, and I was down for that. I saw a lot of plants I didn't know the name of nor their tendencies (didn't do a lot of research back then, not like I would now). I think we got 3 of them; a white, a salmon, and a purple (light purple, almost pinkish). I also got a nice variety of marginals for my bog v1, which was only a 4'x4'x3' deep creation. Oh, and got a black taro, dwarf Egyptian papyrus, shamrocks, parrot's feather, a water hibiscus, and Louisiana Black Gamecock iris. And yeah, we got floaters, too; water hyacinth and water lettuce, both of which I've overwintered and continued to 'save' each fall now for the past 11 years. Sometimes they came close to dying but summer always resuscitated them. I HAVE lost the papyrus (this summer, actually), the shamrocks, the parrot's feather (last winter in the basement, and the pieces I left outside never came back!), and the hibiscus Everything else continues on.

This place had animals, esp white peacocks. I think that is the most memorable thing about Grass roots. I don't think they still do, though. It also has 6 ponds which is great for ideas, plus bins of goldfish and koi inside (where we got our first 4 shubbies). I remember getting them at 4" for about $5 each (it was August and they were on sale!). Probably the best shubbies I've seen, short of those at Blackwater Creek. In the ensuing years, never did see the same distinct patterns as those originals. One of my first just died last year at 10 years old. Went from lots of orange and black spots on a blue field to almost solid black with breaks of blue and bits of orange. We called her Moby as for years, she was the largest fish in the pond (until I got into koi).

Was a fun experience and yes, we spent lots of money that first time! There's a very early 'just put everything in' pic in my showcase, if you want to see some of the above. 2011, August.

Let's hear your first time, hey?

:o :beaming: :!: :cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Re: First pond place experience

Post by Gemma »

You have good memory @brokensword
I can't remember my first pond place....We built the first pond in 2002 and the little store that sold us the kit went out of business right after so I'm pretty sure up until 2016 we shopped at PetSmart for fish, and online at ThePondGuy for everything else

In 2016 everything changed ...I learned that koi are sold online, and that I could get a specific colors and patterns just by searching a specific name so I did a lot of research to see the different koi I could get, I stopped buying from PetSmart and started to be very selective when buying a fish. ....after a negative experience with a contracted pond owner, I learned that just cuz one owns a pond store, doesn't mean one is more knowledgeable and so I started to read others experiences online, test theories and go with what I could see working better for my setting, instead of what pond store owner suggested... 2016 was the year I joined GP and that's where I learned all about the natural way of caring for my koi, the concept o fthe bog, and everything else that's making my pond experience so enjoyable

I've been to Grassroots 3 time cause it's a long drive, but you're right, it's a great place!Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

I don't really have a story as I just got all the info to build my pond online and from books and whatever was in my head. We do have a pond store not too far from here but it doesn't have plants, fish or anything cool, just supplies. I bought my pump tubing there and that's about it!
They had a cool pond and waterfall there outside just for decoration and they do build ponds for people.

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:08 pm I don't really have a story as I just got all the info to build my pond online and from books and whatever was in my head. We do have a pond store not too far from here but it doesn't have plants, fish or anything cool, just supplies. I bought my pump tubing there and that's about it!
They had a cool pond and waterfall there outside just for decoration and they do build ponds for people.

Love the falls! If this place didn't have anything, where DID you get your fish and plants?
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:19 pm
j.w wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:08 pm I don't really have a story as I just got all the info to build my pond online and from books and whatever was in my head. We do have a pond store not too far from here but it doesn't have plants, fish or anything cool, just supplies. I bought my pump tubing there and that's about it!

Love the falls! If this place didn't have anything, where DID you get your fish and plants?
Got my first 12 feeder goldfish all orange from Petsmart and then some oj/white from Freecycle online in our neighborhood. Then bought some Shubbies from Petsmart and the plants I bought online or collected from the wild or traded w/Addy or some others on The P-Forum! Some plants I got from Lowe's in the garden center too for the outside of pond and some grew w/their feet in the water or between the rocks in water.