brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: new little green frogs from last summers amphibian shenanigans

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:37 pm
brokensword wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:22 pm ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Frog party at your pond tonight.............bring your own bugs :cheesyGrin:
they should be doing fine as I often see the small bugs but not larger ones. I've taken to actually buying and releasing crickets every now and then for the larger frogs as I fear with everything enclosed, they may not be getting enough! Too, I figured some of the small frogs won't make it to adult size, but I can't save everything, ya know? Sometimes, it's gotta be left to Nature. Kinda neat seeing the small ones; they are very wary and jump so quick and fast if I approach where they're hanging out whereas the larger ones, they stay still. I've fixed and messed around practically overtop the larger ones and they either trust me, or figure they're goners if they move! I have to be careful when I move around the perimeter just so I don't accidentally step on one! Last count had 5 adult frogs; 2 females and 3 males. I've seen the small frogs above, so maybe 5 more? Give or take. Hard to tell as they don't stay in one area and possibly I'm photographing the same one twice!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Something weird seems to be going on for me now w/trying to post photo's and just move around in here right now. Lot's of hold ups on things. Just tried to do the @brokensword thing, see now it is working, wasn't a minute ago. Anywho.............there was a guy on The p-forum who hand fed meal worms to his frogs. He had an above ground pond that was kind of covered like your in the U.K or canada, somewhere up north anyways. Can't remember his name. He took vids of him feeding those frogs and they loved the meal worms! Oh yes his name was Mucky_Waters from B.C Canada.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:47 pm Something weird seems to be going on for me now w/trying to post photo's and just move around in here right now. Lot's of hold ups on things. Just tried to do the @brokensword thing, see now it is working, wasn't a minute ago. Anywho.............there was a guy on The p-forum who hand fed meal worms to his frogs. He had an above ground pond that was kind of covered like your in the U.K or canada, somewhere up north anyways. Can't remember his name. He took vids of him feeding those frogs and they loved the meal worms! Oh yes his name was Mucky_Waters from B.C Canada.
yep, I remember that video! I think over time, they will get used to NOT being predated upon and learn that the two legged insects are actually nice when they want to be!

:D
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

My big frog sure loves his/her spot under the water faucet right next to my watering can! Always there all the time!
Wouldn't you think it would rather be out in nature somewhere? :roll:

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:34 am My big frog sure loves his/her spot under the water faucet right next to my watering can! Always there all the time!

well, I'm thinking he's there because there's a decent amount of bugs to eat. Too, that's a tree frog, right? Maybe the wood decking is keeping it there. Dunno, don't think we have those types here but I do notice when it gets warm, the frogs definitely hide more/better. Same with the turtles; if too hot, they don't even bask, they hang on the embankment under some foliage. And I know the fish will go deeper if the water is too warm on top. You did say you've had some warmer weather, so...
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:12 am
j.w wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:34 am My big frog sure loves his/her spot under the water faucet right next to my watering can! Always there all the time!

well, I'm thinking he's there because there's a decent amount of bugs to eat. Too, that's a tree frog, right? Maybe the wood decking is keeping it there. Dunno, don't think we have those types here but I do notice when it gets warm, the frogs definitely hide more/better. Same with the turtles; if too hot, they don't even bask, they hang on the embankment under some foliage. And I know the fish will go deeper if the water is too warm on top. You did say you've had some warmer weather, so...
This guy is pretty big to be a tree frog. Forgot what he was, I used to know. I'll ask him next time I see him :queen:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:55 pm
brokensword wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:12 am

This guy is pretty big to be a tree frog. Forgot what he was, I used to know. I'll ask him next time I see him :queen:
...and I have no doubt he'll answer, esp if he knows anything about queens and scepters, hey? I know I was shocked at the exit velocity the first time...heh heh

;) :shocked: :loopy: :cheesyGrin: :tmi:
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Did he identify himself yet? Sure looks like a tree frog but yes, he is large for one....
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

rubyduby wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:16 pm Did he identify himself yet? Sure looks like a tree frog but yes, he is large for one....
I think @j.w has indeed 'heard' from him but is keeping a secret. Like, maybe he's a wood frog in the CIA and needs to be incognito...or something!

heh heh

MAYBE, he usually inhabits LARGE trees...I dunno, some of this royal stuff is stymying...above my pay grade...shoulda been left under a rock...you get what I mean, @rubyduby !

:grin: :loopy:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

rubyduby wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:16 pm Did he identify himself yet? Sure looks like a tree frog but yes, he is large for one....
He says he's a Northern Red Legged Frog.
You can see red on his back legs, he says and to take a looksee :cheesyGrin: