Platinum Ogon Changing color

Gemma
Reactions:

Platinum Ogon Changing color

Post by Gemma »

It is official, my 4yr old Platinum Ogon (Angel) will probably turn into a Yamabuki Ogon (solid metallic yellow)
When I bought it, it was milky white, then After the second year I started noticing her color was more creamy with a light hint of yellow, I thought perhaps the water?....now there is no doubt, it wasn't the water she is definitely changing color... her chicks (do fish have chicks?) are now bright lemon yellow

Nothing wrong with a yamabuki except that her name no longer fit and I already have one
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: Platinum Ogon Changing color

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:45 pm It is official, my 4yr old Platinum Ogon (Angel) will probably turn into a Yamabuki Ogon (solid metallic yellow)
When I bought it, it was milky white, then After the second year I started noticing her color was more creamy with a light hint of yellow, I thought perhaps the water?....now there is no doubt, it wasn't the water she is definitely changing color... her chicks (do fish have chicks?) are now bright lemon yellow

Nothing wrong with a yamabuki except that her name no longer fit and I already have one
sheesh; I was JUST TELLIN' mrsbrokensword that the koi in the pond that WON'T change were the solids. And NOW you tell me it CAN happen??? Jeez, okay fine; guess I just gotta hope MY plat ogon STAYS plat! Already HAVE a Yama so don't need two right now! So, only 4 years, huh? And, will this plat ogon-gone-rogue be a bright orange/yellow or do you think it'll stay soft creamy? Sorta makes me think I should have just paid a lot more and gotten larger, more mature koi, though it's still fun to see them grow/change (just not when the change goes all fuzzy mushy, ya know?).

:roll:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:06 pm
Gemma wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:45 pm It is official, my 4yr old Platinum Ogon (Angel) will probably turn into a Yamabuki Ogon (solid metallic yellow)

sheesh; I was JUST TELLIN' mrsbrokensword that the koi in the pond that WON'T change were the solids. And NOW you tell me it CAN happen??? Jeez, okay fine; guess I just gotta hope MY plat ogon STAYS plat! Already HAVE a Yama so don't need two right now! So, only 4 years, huh? And, will this plat ogon-gone-rogue be a bright orange/yellow or do you think it'll stay soft creamy? Sorta makes me think I should have just paid a lot more and gotten larger, more mature koi, though it's still fun to see them grow/change (just not when the change goes all fuzzy mushy, ya know?).

The good about metallic koi is that even if they change color it really never get "fuzzy mushy" and that's one of the reasons why I prefer metallic over non metallic

Angel's body looks white until you compare it to other white then you can see it is more on the creamy side, but her chicks are now just as bright yellow as my Yamabuki
My Orenji Matsuba was 4yrs old when it started to turn to Aka, so I guess even solid can change
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:23 pm

The good about metallic koi is that even if they change color it really never get "fuzzy mushy" and that's one of the reasons why I prefer metallic over non metallic

Angel's body looks white until you compare it to other white then you can see it is more on the creamy side, but her chicks are now just as bright yellow as my Yamabuki
My Orenji Matsuba was 4yrs old when it started to turn to Aka, so I guess even solid can change
do I file this report under 'koi misbehavin'' or 'mopper's first color-blind test'? I gotta be specific or I get written up, dontcha know! :roll: :beaming: :o :lol: :cool:
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

I meant 5yrs old the Matsuba was not 4yr
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:43 pm

do I file this report under 'koi misbehavin'' or 'mopper's first color-blind test'? I gotta be specific or I get written up, dontcha know! :roll: :beaming: :o :lol: :cool:
I'm thinking if a koi can change what type it is simply by changing color, why is it so important to characterize them under specific names?
One fish that kept color and pattern identical is my 6yr old Kikusui...I'm not sure if all Kikusui do, but mine is the same as it was a baby
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:01 pm

I'm thinking if a koi can change what type it is simply by changing color, why is it so important to characterize them under specific names?
One fish that kept color and pattern identical is my 6yr old Kikusui...I'm not sure if all Kikusui do, but mine is the same as it was a baby
I think the only 'real' importance is because the 'koi world' is sorta made up world, you know, where they give awards and ribbons for X type of koi. It's money-driven as the awarded ones, when they spawn, now have more street creds for the offspring to be sold at even higher prices. But, if you're trying to actually TALK koi, some bit of differentiation is necessary. Thing is, ALL koi are derived from basically two types. That is, koi are not really different species as much as different color and skin patterns. That's the differences. Unlike the tropical fish world where those types stay more or less the same pattern/color from birth (with excpetions, i.e. African chichlids), koi are varied. And as noted above, SOME patterns are more in demand than others, so...

I DO have some that are basically just as I bought them, but almost all have changed a little. I've been keeping photo evidence of each year just to see the changes over time. Some have been drastic (shusui, goshiki, kujaku) and others are almost exactly as I got them (yamabuki ogon, shiro utsuri, hi utsuri, ki utsuri among others). What I HAVE noticed on the utsuris is they have acquired small dots of black, over some portion of their body. So, not as clean as original and I wonder if they'll spread/enlarge or just stay as is. I figure once a koi gets to a certain age (maturity?), the pattern will stay the same or slowly start to get mushy/fade. When I watch youtube vids of other ponds and their fish, this seems the pattern. And of course, I'm not talking the 'better genetics/born in Japan' types. But most of the larger/older ones definitely look less crisp and more muted/fuzzy/mushy of pattern and color.
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:09 pm

I think the only 'real' importance is because the 'koi world' is sorta made up world, you know, where they give awards and ribbons for X type of koi. It's money-driven as the awarded ones, when they spawn, now have more street creds for the offspring to be sold at even higher prices. But, if you're trying to actually TALK koi, some bit of differentiation is necessary. Thing is, ALL koi are derived from basically two types. That is, koi are not really different species as much as different color and skin patterns. That's the differences. Unlike the tropical fish world where those types stay more or less the same pattern/color from birth (with excpetions, i.e. African chichlids), koi are varied. And as noted above, SOME patterns are more in demand than others, so...

I DO have some that are basically just as I bought them, but almost all have changed a little. I've been keeping photo evidence of each year just to see the changes over time. Some have been drastic (shusui, goshiki, kujaku) and others are almost exactly as I got them (yamabuki ogon, shiro utsuri, hi utsuri, ki utsuri among others). What I HAVE noticed on the utsuris is they have acquired small dots of black, over some portion of their body. So, not as clean as original and I wonder if they'll spread/enlarge or just stay as is. I figure once a koi gets to a certain age (maturity?), the pattern will stay the same or slowly start to get mushy/fade. When I watch youtube vids of other ponds and their fish, this seems the pattern. And of course, I'm not talking the 'better genetics/born in Japan' types. But most of the larger/older ones definitely look less crisp and more muted/fuzzy/mushy of pattern and color.
For sure as koi get older the color and pattern fades a little, but by then the size makes up for it :cheesyGrin:
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:17 pm

For sure as koi get older the color and pattern fades a little, but by then the size makes up for it :cheesyGrin:
for SOME; I'm working this koi thang from a different angle and aim to NOT have monster sized fish, ONLY because then, I get to have more in number and pattern than the average ponder, don'tcha know! So far, I think it's working as the ones I got 4 years ago (the first batch) are not even 20", more like 16-18", yet. Hope they top out at no more than 24" or even 20". We'll see. I don't feed nearly as much as most that are GOING for size and know this happens in the first few years. As long as they look and act healthy, I'm good!
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:26 pm

for SOME; I'm working this koi thang from a different angle and aim to NOT have monster sized fish, ONLY because then, I get to have more in number and pattern than the average ponder, don'tcha know! So far, I think it's working as the ones I got 4 years ago (the first batch) are not even 20", more like 16-18", yet. Hope they top out at no more than 24" or even 20". We'll see. I don't feed nearly as much as most that are GOING for size and know this happens in the first few years. As long as they look and act healthy, I'm good!
I love large koi because they seem to have puppy eyes, but Large or small I can't keep up with too many in number
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:10 pm
I love large koi because they seem to have puppy eyes, but Large or small I can't keep up with too many in number
but...but...do I hear a strangled whine trying to escape, you know, the one that indicates you'd LOVE to TRY??? heh heh

:hysterical: :!: :cool:
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:12 pm
Gemma wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:10 pm

but...but...do I hear a strangled whine trying to escape, you know, the one that indicates you'd LOVE to TRY??? heh heh

:hysterical: :!: :cool:
Image Stop trying to change my mind I don't want more koi, I need to get rid of some Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond