mid July; what's blooming?

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
brokensword
me
Reactions:

mid July; what's blooming?

Post by brokensword »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Re: mid July; what's blooming?

Post by j.w »

You never run out of beautiful blooms! All of them are just too pretty 8-)
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:55 am You never run out of beautiful blooms! All of them are just too pretty 8-)
thanks, @j.w ; been tweaking the yard now for 35 years, so should be doing something right! That last lily pic is from a batch I bought for mrsbrokensword this past March, for our anniversary. Glad they turned out nice for her (lilies are one of her faves!) and it even impresses me! Sorta like the pond, am running out of garden space for anything new! And with all the weeding I do now, not sure I want to create any more, ya know? Starting (continuing!) to be financial risk in the spring, going to the garden centers! I just love the different varieties of flowers, though!
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

Very pretty. Nothing looks as cheerful as flowers in bloom.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:08 am
j.w wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:55 am You never run out of beautiful blooms! All of them are just too pretty 8-)
thanks, @j.w ; been tweaking the yard now for 35 years, so should be doing something right! That last lily pic is from a batch I bought for mrsbrokensword this past March, for our anniversary. Glad they turned out nice for her (lilies are one of her faves!) and it even impresses me! Sorta like the pond, am running out of garden space for anything new! And with all the weeding I do now, not sure I want to create any more, ya know? Starting (continuing!) to be financial risk in the spring, going to the garden centers! I just love the different varieties of flowers, though!
All your hard work is really paying off as it shows in all the beautiful plants you are caring so nicely for :kitty:
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

@brokensword Your garden is fantastic!
I know what you mean when you say you already have so much maintenance work you don't want more.
I just got my first hardy hibiscus (Summerific Evening Rose) I was going for the contrast of dark leaves lighter pink blooms but the tag was faded and this one blooms much darker than I thought...so I want another one but that means I will have to create a new area to later maintain Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:36 pm
brokensword wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:08 am
All your hard work is really paying off as it shows in all the beautiful plants you are caring so nicely for :kitty:
got the 'bug' from my mom and seeing her garden growing up. I've probably got 10x the amount of gardens as what she had, but when you're young and doing weeding, it sure SEEMED like a lot of garden! Quite a few of the plants I have came from where I grew up before my mom moved in the 90s. So, definitely sentimental value around here! A lot of others I've pilfered pieces of from my customers over the years and so they too are represented.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:10 pm @brokensword Your garden is fantastic!
I know what you mean when you say you already have so much maintenance work you don't want more.
I just got my first hardy hibiscus (Summerific Evening Rose) I was going for the contrast of dark leaves lighter pink blooms but the tag was faded and this one blooms much darker than I thought...so I want another one but that means I will have to create a new area to later maintain Image
I'll go find a shovel for you...
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:42 pm
got the 'bug' from my mom and seeing her garden growing up.
How come my bug aint rubbing off on my boys? what's the trick? Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:32 pm
brokensword wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:42 pm
got the 'bug' from my mom and seeing her garden growing up.
How come my bug aint rubbing off on my boys? what's the trick? Image
ya know, I'm not sure; I didn't exactly grow up loving flowers (esp weeding) but I guess somewhere deep in my psyche I at least noticed and said 'one day, my yard will look like this'. And maybe that IS the secret; they need to get to an age of ownership that they want what they have to reflect well on them and maybe then they'll at least lean into what 'mom' did. I think because I'm a landscaper and practically live outside, I'm more exposed to what could be and what it is. VERY few of my customers do much of anything with the yard re flowers. Most have shrubs, have someone (else) mulch and weed it, and pretty much leave the outside to fend for itself. I must be a throwback to days more people gardened. Can't say my son got the same bug, but then, I didn't subject him to the garden and weeding like my mom did. My mistake, but well, life was more tumultuous then, so I'll use that as a bad excuse. He does like what I do and is into 'farming' type ideologies, but isn't exactly jumping up and down at doing what I've done, either. Then again, he's not really at that stage I described above, so jury is still out! I'd actually ask their opinions of what you've done and watch/listen for their response; there may be hope yet that once on their own, suddenly wings will sprout!