it's only fair...

brokensword
me
Reactions:

it's only fair...

Post by brokensword »

...mrsbrokensword goes and spends a small fortune on getting her hair highlights re-highlighted, so I goes and figures the pond DESERVES to be highlighted too, to the tune of some NEW FISH! Yeah, that's right, I done said it, I done did it...replacing one variety that I lost over winter, and adding 3 others just because. Annnnnnnnndddddd, might not be done yet; there's still time and all that 'hair highlighten money still ain't been matched so...

heh heh, I promise, they'll be small, I'll KEEP them small, they'll share bedrooms, bunk beds for EVERYONE now--lossssssa room for more, no? Awww, c'mon, I been good, I been minding my own business, been walking lil ol' ladies across busy streets, sent one wide-eyed girl scout to some swanky troop retreat where I'm sure they learned how NOT to break nails while trudging through the woods...sheesh, I'm runnin' outta 'scuses. Buyin' ANY of this???? Fine, culpa mea, g'wan, lock me up, take away my CC, force me to read the MFBA and write it all out on a chalkboard at least a hundred times...ANYTHING, but don't make me cancel the order!!! Us addicts got feelings TOO, ya know! I mean, I COULD stand out on a busy road with a sign sayin' 'will work for koi' but seriously, who'd stop without laughin', hey? A ponder's gotta do what a ponder's gotta do...sometimes!! I mean, NONE of you were there when the big red button started glowing, started humming, started chanting 'buy me!' then whispered my name!!! I got witnesses! LOTS of them! Asleep at the proverbial switch, sure enough, ALL of you. Shame on you for even LETTING me NEAR that dang auction button. Phooey, I can see all my emotional arguments are falling on deaf ears...fine, see if I post ANY pics. You can just IMAGINE what I gots. NO sneak peaks, no curtesy peeps, nuthin! Y'all gets NUTHIN!

Oh, drat, fine; here's what I gots coming SO FAR!! (NOT my pics, please be nice!)

This is an Ochiba Sigure; I HAVE 3 others, all different variations. This one is the replacement I lost over winter and most closely resembles one of my other Ochibas, named appropriately enough 'Ochie'.
ochiba.jpg
ochiba.jpg (121.27 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Next is one I've avoided, not because I don't like them, but mainly because this color pattern is quite prevalent already, in my pond, in the form of sarassa goldfish. They're white with orange. I decided to get one of these Kohaku varieties because a) I could get it cheap and b) they say koi ponders always should have one of the big 3; Showa, Sanke, and Kohaku. Too, this fish will get a lot larger than any of my goldfish, so, yeah, there, a bunch of whiny excuses to press that big red buy button; (sorry, @j.w ; this one is not a butterfly. I checked this variety out in butterfly form and it didn't enhance it that much, so...)
kohaku.jpg
kohaku.jpg (87.08 KiB) Viewed 350 times
This one is because I got another Sanke this spring and it's SUPPOSED to have black and red blotches on a white body. Weeeeellllll, the red/orange has disappeared, making my sanke into a shiro bekko. Not exactly as I'd planned and since I NEVER buy just one fish, I figured to get a sanke with a lot more red/orange and if THIS fish loses that color, I'm done! Seems in my well water pond, that orange/red on this particular variety likes to fade. Happened with others of mine, though not so it's totally gone.

sanke.jpg
sanke.jpg (170.25 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Lastly (for now; still have a couple of days to find possibly one more gem!) we have a yamatonishiki, which is basically a metallic version of the one above (sanke). Don't have one of these currently, so figured I'd fill out the stable, ya know?
yamatonishiki.jpg
yamatonishiki.jpg (195.97 KiB) Viewed 350 times

and that's all there is right now; hope you all are enjoying my fall off the wagon...
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Re: it's only fair...

Post by j.w »

@brokensword I enjoy your falls off the wagon and all the fish are beauties but of course you know my fave! Now we get to shame you now for buying, and buying and buying! That is so much fun, thank you for providing ammo to knock Mr Kingy Boy in the ole kadoodle noodle! You are gonna turn your wifey's hair as white as snow w/this koi addiction ya know? Then she will have to spend more and more moolah to keep her hair in shape. You buy fish, she buys hair................this is a battle that will go on forever and ever, Amen!
frustrated44.gif
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

I am hoping that the first thing you said to Mrsbrokensword was, "Your hair looks even more lovely than usual. Hard to believe, but it's true."
THEN you go into the mumbling phase of, "in a few days, some delivery guy will drop off a box of little replacement koi ... LOVE YOU..!"
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:38 pm @brokensword I enjoy your falls off the wagon and all the fish are beauties but of course you know my fave! Now we get to shame you now for buying, and buying and buying! That is so much fun, thank you for providing ammo to knock Mr Kingy Boy in the ole kadoodle noodle! You are gonna turn your wifey's hair as white as snow w/this koi addiction ya know? Then she will have to spend more and more moolah to keep her hair in shape. You buy fish, she buys hair................this is a battle that will go on forever and ever, Amen!

frustrated44.gif
indeed! I actually stopped ASKING what she paid each time, until this last; sorry I did! And yeah, I know I got IT bad, but I don't actually think my fish are ever going to reach huge size; they supposedly grow most between year 2 and 3 and I have several in that category now with none even 18" yet. So, I figure they'll stay on the smaller side (mainly eating the algae and plant material as I don't feed them more than a few times during the week with a couple each weekend day. We'll see and hopefully, I won't regret this! It IS an addiction though, don't let anyone tell you different! I mean, once, I thought it might be cool to have one of each variety. Until you find out how MANY varieties there are. So, then I figured a couple of the ones I like best. Problem is, I like them ALL best, so that means a couple of each variety I like...and so on and so on...heh heh

Thanks for looking, j.w!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

SarahT wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:34 pm I am hoping that the first thing you said to Mrsbrokensword was, "Your hair looks even more lovely than usual. Hard to believe, but it's true."
THEN you go into the mumbling phase of, "in a few days, some delivery guy will drop off a box of little replacement koi ... LOVE YOU..!"
...hold on, don't talk so fast...I'm writing this down...

:roll: :!: :o