raising fry

darkmuse
Reactions:

raising fry

Post by darkmuse »

Anyone ever try this? I've let nature take it's course and some fry make it to adulthood. Thinking of getting koi and perhaps breeding but not sure I want to sell/re-home those I don't keep. Any experienced fish breeders out there?
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: raising fry

Post by brokensword »

:grin: Not me; don't know that I'd want all the follow-through that comes with raising koi. Oh, it would be interesting, and maybe if I had some unused mud ponds somewhere...but I'll stick to just buying 'em on auction and hoping my herd doesn't increase! Good luck if you go that route!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

darkmuse wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:16 pm Anyone ever try this? I've let nature take it's course and some fry make it to adulthood. Thinking of getting koi and perhaps breeding but not sure I want to sell/re-home those I don't keep. Any experienced fish breeders out there?
To find fry is my pond nightmare!
I rehomed 9-10 large koi last year to downsize (I only want 10-15 in my pond) but when we drained the pond to net them, we realized we had babies...10 to be exact....
Don't get me wrong I love baby koi, they are very cute!.. but don't like having to find homes for them...who knows what living conditions they end up in
Out of the 10 we got 1 benigoi, 1 kikosui, 2 yamabuki, 3 matsuba and 3 ochiba, all 10 standard fins even though most females are butterfly
We keep the plants separate from the koi purposely to reduce the number of fry, and it has worked well up until last year producing 0-5 fry every year... this 10 we got last year was an unpleasant surprise and I hope it will not repeat

I could never become a breeder, I care too much about the fate of my fish even the ones I don't want to keep
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

I need no baby goldfish either! Use to get a lot but now only once in a great while. Think I keep my fish hungry so they gobble up the eggs!