plumbing at drum filter v4b.jpg
plumbing at drum filter v4b.jpg (163.62 KiB) Viewed 306 times
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
darkmuse
Reactions:

Re: DIY bog sock prefilter design

Post by darkmuse »

how does this work, exactly? You use this with your wetland filter, too?
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

In my case, I DO use a bog prefilter, more to help out the visual on cameras because with my load of fish, there's some particulate floating at times. Depending on which micron size mesh I use, I can filter out certain sizes of particulate, with more regular hosings off the smaller the mesh. A sock filter works like this; you pump water into the sock, the water flows out the 'holes' in the mesh. Particles of a certain size and up get held back and over time, the sock clogs, the water level rises, until the whole sock has a fine layer of larger-than-mesh-hole particles stuck to it. Usually takes me 5 minutes to take the sock out, hose it off, reinsert. It isn't necessary but I have the space, filter is hidden and camo'd, so since it's easy, I continue doing it. The sock in this case is enlarged from an aquarium design to give much more filtering capability than any store bought unit; I think it's about 1800 sq in compared to say something 18" x 18" or even 20" diameter round pads. I designed this so IF the filter gets clogged without me knowing (and it has), the overflow is still contained and ends up in the bog proper just the same. A bit of DIY and an established aquarium practice!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:47 pm In my case, I DO use a bog prefilter, more to help out the visual on cameras because with my load of fish, there's some particulate floating at times. Depending on which micron size mesh I use, I can filter out certain sizes of particulate, with more regular hosings off the smaller the mesh. A sock filter works like this; you pump water into the sock, the water flows out the 'holes' in the mesh. Particles of a certain size and up get held back and over time, the sock clogs, the water level rises, until the whole sock has a fine layer of larger-than-mesh-hole particles stuck to it. Usually takes me 5 minutes to take the sock out, hose it off, reinsert. It isn't necessary but I have the space, filter is hidden and camo'd, so since it's easy, I continue doing it. The sock in this case is enlarged from an aquarium design to give much more filtering capability than any store bought unit; I think it's about 1800 sq in compared to say something 18" x 18" or even 20" diameter round pads. I designed this so IF the filter gets clogged without me knowing (and it has), the overflow is still contained and ends up in the bog proper just the same. A bit of DIY and an established aquarium practice!
Neat idea if you are a handy type building person. Not me I'll stick w/my simple pond filters. A pot edge one and an underwater prefilter dealy bob :cool:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:03 pm
brokensword wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:47 pm In my case, I DO use a bog prefilter, more to help out the visual on cameras because with my load of fish, there's some particulate floating at times. Depending on which micron size mesh I use, I can filter out certain sizes of particulate, with more regular hosings off the smaller the mesh. A sock filter works like this; you pump water into the sock, the water flows out the 'holes' in the mesh. Particles of a certain size and up get held back and over time, the sock clogs, the water level rises, until the whole sock has a fine layer of larger-than-mesh-hole particles stuck to it. Usually takes me 5 minutes to take the sock out, hose it off, reinsert. It isn't necessary but I have the space, filter is hidden and camo'd, so since it's easy, I continue doing it. The sock in this case is enlarged from an aquarium design to give much more filtering capability than any store bought unit; I think it's about 1800 sq in compared to say something 18" x 18" or even 20" diameter round pads. I designed this so IF the filter gets clogged without me knowing (and it has), the overflow is still contained and ends up in the bog proper just the same. A bit of DIY and an established aquarium practice!
Neat idea if you are a handy type building person. Not me I'll stick w/my simple pond filters. A pot edge one and an underwater prefilter dealy bob :cool:
pretty simple to build, actually. If you can sew by hand, cut with scissors, drill a hole and install some plumbing, it's done! The main reason I do this is because it's a lot more filter area than the pads. Filters more, give me more time between cleanings, but I have to use a larger mesh for that to happen. I usually use 200 or 300 micron but the 100 would be a lot better for interval cleanings. Sort of depends on how much floating stuff I see on the cam; now, since it's not working, I don't notice but after I fix it, that's when I'll be more critical. With a lot of fish, there tends to be more floating as they scavenge the bottom. I don't feed them that much early and only once a day when I'm actually sitting by the pond. More for me than them.