KH and Water Lilies

WetWork
Reactions:

KH and Water Lilies

Post by WetWork »

I have a pool set up just for water lilies, for extras and for ones that need a break from the goldfish beating them up so they can recover. There are no fish, but tree frogs usually spawn, if that is the right word, in there in the summer.

I've never tested the water there, but with all the rain we are now having, I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the KH and pH. Would a fluctuating pH be a problem for the lilies? Just never thought about it before.

Thanks for your help.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: KH and Water Lilies

Post by brokensword »

WetWork wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:48 pm I have a pool set up just for water lilies, for extras and for ones that need a break from the goldfish beating them up so they can recover. There are no fish, but tree frogs usually spawn, if that is the right word, in there in the summer.

I've never tested the water there, but with all the rain we are now having, I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the KH and pH. Would a fluctuating pH be a problem for the lilies? Just never thought about it before.

Thanks for your help.
I think you'd need a deluge to really alter the chemistry that much, but if they're in a smaller amount of water, it might be affected. That said, I think more plants do better with pH nearer 7 and even acidic than higher and more basic. I know the garden suffers a little (I have well water, pH of 8.4, fairly hard) and have had to add some acidic fertilizer to offset this. And if you're fertilizing the lilies, no doubt it's going to be acidic from that. Doesn't hurt to do some water tests just to see what you're working with, though. I know a few of my bog plants get the dark green veining that is indicative of not enough iron.

Btw, what I did 2 years ago to stop the koi from uprooting the lilies was to 'mrsclem' them; yep, got the idea from her. You basically get some plastic chicken mesh (approx 1" diamond spaces) and zip tie a piece across the top of each pot. I was skeptical the emerging stems would get out but last summer proved the method works well! Now, I have all my lilies this way and did away with my large mesh net that used to encircle the whole water lily 'bench' I have in the pond. Try it and you'll see the roots/tubers will be protected. Now, it won't do anything if your fish actually eat at the pads but I've never seen mine do that--only the roots.

:cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

WetWork wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:48 pm I have a pool set up just for water lilies, for extras and for ones that need a break from the goldfish beating them up so they can recover. There are no fish, but tree frogs usually spawn, if that is the right word, in there in the summer.

Thanks for your help.
We have lots of rain here and it is acidic of course and lilies grow just fine and are coming up in my small frog pond right now. Can't wait for blooms which will take a long time it seems this year as it's been so cold and wet.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:43 pm

Thanks for your help.
We have lots of rain here and it is acidic of course and lilies grow just fine and are coming up in my small frog pond right now. Can't wait for blooms which will take a long time it seems this year as it's been so cold and wet.
mine don't do a whole lot of blooming until the temps get higher. Although, I think I had a pale yellow one bloom in June last year, which was earlier than usual. Do you notice any more/less blooms depending on sun/temperature?
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:01 pm
j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:43 pm

Thanks for your help.
mine don't do a whole lot of blooming until the temps get higher. Although, I think I had a pale yellow one bloom in June last year, which was earlier than usual. Do you notice any more/less blooms depending on sun/temperature?
I know they need sun and we don't get much of it but they do bloom but later here than other area's where they get more sun so I'd say yes sun and warmth make a difference on the amount of bloom and how soon they bloom.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:00 pm

I know they need sun and we don't get much of it but they do bloom but later here than other area's where they get more sun so I'd say yes sun and warmth make a difference on the amount of bloom and how soon they bloom.
what's the most blooms you had at one time? And approx how many lilies? For me, I had 9 one time (not 9 diff plants or colors, just flowers blooming on the same day at the same time ) with about 14 lily plants, give or take.
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

Thanks for the replies. I have plastic fence mesh over the pans they are planted in, so they aren't being dug up. But the fish bash the stems and leaves around a lot, especially when spawning. I have so many fish that's almost a daily activity. So some plants end up pretty beaten up, even with no leaves at all.

I'll check the water and see what I find. The lilies have done fine for the 3 years the pool has been set up. I just never thought about keeping the pH stable since there are no fish.

Thanks again.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:23 pm
j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:00 pm

what's the most blooms you had at one time? And approx how many lilies? For me, I had 9 one time (not 9 diff plants or colors, just flowers blooming on the same day at the same time ) with about 14 lily plants, give or take.
I had about the same w/same color ones and the other colors at different times. Now I have none in my pond as it was too hard to drag them out to replant them. Body doesn't like it!

rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Wow, they are beautiful!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

rubyduby wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:49 pm Wow, they are beautiful!
you took the words right outta ma mouth!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Thanks guys,too bad I don't have them anymore. Only one in the frog pond now.

@brokensword and there are a lot'a words crammed up in that mouth of yours just dying to get out 8-)
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:53 pm Thanks guys,too bad I don't have them anymore. Only one in the frog pond now.

@brokensword and there are a lot'a words crammed up in that mouth of yours just dying to get out 8-)
hahahahahahahahahah; I JUST got done telling Ruby this is EXACTLY what lil Queenie would say!!!

Oh, that's rich!

:sillybearshock: :-P :roll: :cool: