3rd Round

j.w
Reactions:

Re: 3rd Round

Post by j.w »

@brokensword I wonder what it is w/the Shubbies? I have lost all mine whenever I get any. Takes a few years and they they die. Maybe not as hardy being inbred or something as I got them from Petsmart. They are so pretty, I love them but can't bear to get more and see them die.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:19 pm @brokensword I wonder what it is w/the Shubbies? I have lost all mine whenever I get any. Takes a few years and they they die. Maybe not as hardy being inbred or something as I got them from Petsmart. They are so pretty, I love them but can't bear to get more and see them die.
well, still got 10 years from my largest and DO have a shubbie fantail that is now 12 years old, but yeah; they do seem less likely to live as long. I'm sure it has something to do with whatever the cross is coming from. I may research that as it would be interesting. I think you should get more as at least in YOUR pond, they'd have a great life. It'll be shorter than other goldfish no matter. I know goldfish don't have a long a lifespan as koi (I think it's like 25 years max) and the oldest koi was something over 200 years, if you can believe it! If I'm remembering correctly, it passed on in the last decade.
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:19 pm @brokensword I wonder what it is w/the Shubbies? I have lost all mine whenever I get any. Takes a few years and they they die. Maybe not as hardy being inbred or something as I got them from Petsmart. They are so pretty, I love them but can't bear to get more and see them die.
I found this on the net, re hybridization lines;

The Shubunkin Goldfish was first bred in the late 1800s. It was created by crossing a Wakin Goldfish with a calico Telescope.

In reading, the Wakin goldfish typically lasts 12 years. So, that may be the critical factor. Pics of the Wakin and Calico Telescope, below;

ImageImage
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword and now they are prolly inbreeding at a lot of places and Petsmart doesn't always have the greatest fish! I would have to order online from some high priced place and then they would just die anyways so not doing it. Will just stick w/the ones I have and then when they are all gone I will be older, hopefully still around anyways and will dissolve the pond as I will be crookedy and crotchety by then and might fall in and break my sacroiliac.
grannybed7.gif