neighbor is a newbie

darkmuse
Reactions:

neighbor is a newbie

Post by darkmuse »

I have a neighbor I'd put in the 'just starting out' category. I think he's had his pond for a few years but still does a lot of things new ponders do. What should I say when he balks at not cleaning the pond every spring? I've already mentioned to him about the spring startup beneficial bacteria but I'm sure to hear once again about how his water will be clear only early on and when summer hits, he's talking UV lights and barley straw and just about anything else! Tips on how to turn him into less of a newbie pond owner?
j.w
Reactions:

Re: neighbor is a newbie

Post by j.w »

Well guess we need to find out why the pond isn't cleaned and what do you mean by cleaning it? Some have bogs and don't need much cleaning other than a scoop out maybe every once in awhile. What kind of filter he has too? I don't know anything about UV lights as I have never used them. I have used barley straw and found that it didn't do anything that I could see. Just mucked up the water rotting in there. Does he have fish and do they remain healthy?
How big is his pond? I wish I had made a bog for my pond. Maybe he would be interested in making one w/your help? Or w/maybe @brokensword 's help as he has a nice bog set up. I just have simple filters that really aren't that great. They do best when I make sure to clean them out often.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

darkmuse wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:10 pm I have a neighbor I'd put in the 'just starting out' category. I think he's had his pond for a few years but still does a lot of things new ponders do. What should I say when he balks at not cleaning the pond every spring? I've already mentioned to him about the spring startup beneficial bacteria but I'm sure to hear once again about how his water will be clear only early on and when summer hits, he's talking UV lights and barley straw and just about anything else! Tips on how to turn him into less of a newbie pond owner?
to clarify; this neighbor gives you the stinkeye if you tell him he DOESN'T have to clean the pond every spring? That's how I'm reading this. A lot of newbie ponders continue to promulgate info that is unnecessary for successful ponding. Cleaning out a pond every spring is one of them. As is powerwashing as part of the process. I'd try and tell him how much work/time he'll save by just gently netting the bottom, installing a bog which will free up even more time, and see if all those open weekends does anything for him!!

And of course, show him YOUR pond, tell him about PondLife, invite him to read a little here and learn more about the hobby!

But I hear you; sometimes, it's like talking Greek to someone who only knows English!

;) :cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:08 am
And of course, show him YOUR pond, tell him about PondLife, invite him to read a little here and learn more about the hobby!

;) :cool:
I agree, the best way is to lead by example!Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48