Taro? Experiences?

darkmuse
Reactions:

Taro? Experiences?

Post by darkmuse »

Just getting some info toward getting a taro this summer. Anyone have experience with this plant?
j.w
Reactions:

Re: Taro? Experiences?

Post by j.w »

darkmuse wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:05 pm Just getting some info toward getting a taro this summer. Anyone have experience with this plant?
I had Taro and it grew nice in pots. I had it outdoors in the warm months but then had to bring it inside during the winter and it grew so big there was no room for it. I found for me it was too much trouble and I only like plants now that are hardy here and can stay out all year. Depends on where you live as if you have warm temps for it and it will not die than that would be good. I have heard something about bringing just the bulbs or roots whatever they have that you can keep them in a cool garage wrapped in paper or something. Not sure tho, maybe someone else will know more.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

darkmuse wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:05 pm Just getting some info toward getting a taro this summer. Anyone have experience with this plant?
I've had one almost since the beginning and like j.w says, you have to overwinter if you're in a snow and cold location! The first couple years, it barely made it, hardly surviving until I put it back in the bog when spring settled in for good. Now, I have 4' high stalks and probably 15 leaves of 12" or less, in my turtle over-winter pool. Sort of surprises it's doing so well this year but I won't complain! When outside, it takes a bit to re-establish and by mid-late summer, I'll have 7' stalks and 24-30" leaves! You have to put it in the back or it's going to shade everything underneath! Mine is the black taro and they have others, but I've never grown them.
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

ImageI’m not sure where you live but here in Florida it grows very well…
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Yep @rubyduby you have the perfect growing things climate!
All your plants and fish look like they love it there and you don't even need a net to protect them from critters!
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

If it weren't for the giant Live Oak over the pond I would have to net...But so far nothing has spotted the pond from above...I also have a pretty solid fence around a small backyard which makes it difficult for birds to have room to land...So far so good...but first thing every morning I look to see if anything has been disturbed because I know that good luck doesn't last forever:(
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

I love my Black Taro and it's a must have in my pond. I winterize the roots every year and bring it back out in Spring...but if you live in warmer climate, keep in mind it can be invasive
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

How do you winterize your Black Taro @Gemma ?
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:27 pm How do you winterize your Black Taro @Gemma ?
I've done it in different ways, I've either pulled, dried and stored in plastic bag with pine shavings, or potted and kept as houseplant. stored dormant will save it but the plants start out much smaller, the ones I kept as houseplants got larger and larger Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:01 pm
j.w wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:27 pm How do you winterize your Black Taro @Gemma ?
I've done it in different ways, I've either pulled, dried and stored in plastic bag with pine shavings, or potted and kept as houseplant. stored dormant will save it but the plants start out much smaller, the ones I kept as houseplants got larger and larger Image
Very pretty Black Taro! Like I said, I tried the keeping them in a big pot indoors and they got way too big and were in the way. But like you say if you do that they are so big and beautiful when you haul them outdoors each year. Then one year when I had them out on the back deck the raccoons came and destroyed them all and made a huge mud mess! I suppose I could have saved some w/the big bulbs but I decided to end it.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:13 pm
s but I decided to end it.
rah roh, lil Queenie hath done committed tarocide!

:shock: :o :razz: ;) :-P :roll: :cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Speaking of Taro I just bought a new one that I had never seen before and it's so shiny and beautiful...it's like a black velvet drawing on shiny foil ok I suck at explaining, here's the pic

The tag says: "Royal Hawaiian Diamond Head"
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond