Taro? Experiences?

j.w
Reactions:

Re: Taro? Experiences?

Post by j.w »

@Gemma Oh boy that is a beauty!
Are you gonna save them all now each year?
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:01 pm Speaking of Taro I just bought a new one that I had never seen before and it's so shiny and beautiful...it's like a black velvet drawing on shiny foil ok I suck at explaining, here's the pic

The tag says: "Royal Hawaiian Diamond Head"
I LIKE it! That's pretty cool! You gonna put it in the bog this year???
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:04 pm @Gemma Oh boy that is a beauty!
I'm gonna try and I hope it wants to live Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:09 am
Gemma wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:01 pm Speaking of Taro I just bought a new one that I had never seen before and it's so shiny and beautiful...it's like a black velvet drawing on shiny foil ok I suck at explaining, here's the pic

It looks much nicer in reality...probably Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:27 am

that's okay, Gemma; we here all know you're operating in unreality most of the time anyhow, so no need to drag us into 'reality' just for a taro's sake!!! We LIKE your lil fantasy world, don'tcha know!!

heh
:-P :cool:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:24 am
I find when I take my overwintered taro out to the bog that it sulks for quite a bit before taking off; I really think it likes the warmer temp and full sun. And I wait until Memorial day to transfer it out, so be warned!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:36 am
I find when I take my overwintered taro out to the bog that it sulks for quite a bit before taking off; I really think it likes the warmer temp and full sun. And I wait until Memorial day to transfer it out, so be warned!
Sounds perfecta mento to me! Will be waiting patiently for the day it thrives in your bog
catclock.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:07 am

Sounds perfecta mento to me! Will be waiting patiently for the day it thrives in your bog catclock.gif
it's actually going gangbusters right now in the basement, best I've ever had it when overwintering! If I remember, I'll take a shot of it and post! Sort of worry it's going to totally sulk when I do get it out, but I love the color contrast and Gemma's should do similar for her bog. Never thought a plant could get that large (leaves) as it has! You ever try one in your pond, j.w?
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:21 am
j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:07 am

Sounds perfecta mento to me! Will be waiting patiently for the day it thrives in your bog catclock.gif
it's actually going gangbusters right now in the basement, best I've ever had it when overwintering! If I remember, I'll take a shot of it and post! Sort of worry it's going to totally sulk when I do get it out, but I love the color contrast and Gemma's should do similar for her bog. Never thought a plant could get that large (leaves) as it has! You ever try one in your pond, j.w?
Not in my pond, just a pot. Not doing Taro as I don't overwinter stuff anymore and I can't stand to let them die! Such a pretty plant tho! I wish I lived in Hawaii
palm-island.GIF
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:35 am
Gemma wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:27 am

that's okay, Gemma; we here all know you're operating in unreality most of the time anyhow, so no need to drag us into 'reality' just for a taro's sake!!! We LIKE your lil fantasy world, don'tcha know!!

heh
:-P :cool:
I decided I'm gonna take this as a compliment, so thank you! Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

Taro is maybe my favorite plant for the pond. I probably have too many of them.

I put some plants in the pond every year, in plastic mesh type pots with only rocks in them. I also have some potted in soil that sit around the pond, and I've even grown them bare root in the waterfall. I think they do best in the pond and many get taller than I am by the end of the season. I do have to take them inside for winter, which is becoming quite a chore.

The ones in pots of rocks go into a kiddle pool with a couple of inches of water and they do fine that way. The other pots just get moved into the same heated room. The only way I haven't been able to get them to survive the winter is by putting the tubers in peat moss. Only the largest one made it, so I just keep them in pots now.

Love the pictures of everyone's taro plants. They make me want to get more, but I'm over my limit as it is.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

WetWork wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:42 pm Taro is maybe my favorite plant for the pond. I probably have too many of them.

I put some plants in the pond every year, in plastic mesh type pots with only rocks in them. I also have some potted in soil that sit around the pond, and I've even grown them bare root in the waterfall. I think they do best in the pond and many get taller than I am by the end of the season. I do have to take them inside for winter, which is becoming quite a chore.

The ones in pots of rocks go into a kiddle pool with a couple of inches of water and they do fine that way. The other pots just get moved into the same heated room. The only way I haven't been able to get them to survive the winter is by putting the tubers in peat moss. Only the largest one made it, so I just keep them in pots now.

Love the pictures of everyone's taro plants. They make me want to get more, but I'm over my limit as it is.
When yours are up and growing you should show us all of them! I think the plants are so beautiful but I am getting so lazy and it just is too much work for me so I will just enjoy all your guys ones :beaming: