Growing Citrus in cold Climate Anyone?

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Re: Growing Citrus in cold Climate Anyone?

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:04 pm
Gemma wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:05 pm
j.w wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:25 pm

Oh no what a bummer! Maybe next year?
Reminds me of our poor Peach tree that is slowing dying. The fruit is too heavy and it is making one of the big long branches almost touch the ground. Think we are gonna cut it down eventually.
Has a yucky sap stuff all over it even on the peaches :sad:
aww poor peach tree! Can you try pruning to make it stronger?
You know what else is a bummer? Turns out Citrus trees have thorns Image I had no idea...did you know? I bet someone on here knew and didn't tell me
We did prune it but not enough I guess. Might still try it and prune more this year and see what happens but we can't stop the yucky sap stuff from killing it. Might make it for a few more years, don't know. I had no idea about citrus trees. They won't grow here. So is this your little Lemon tree you are unhappy about?
Yes, my lemon and also orange and grapefruit, all three have thorns! They don't grow here either if you don't bring them in in the Fall
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:08 pm
Gemma wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:05 pm

aww poor peach tree! Can you try pruning to make it stronger?
You know what else is a bummer? Turns out Citrus trees have thorns Image I had no idea...did you know? I bet someone on here knew and didn't tell me
We did prune it but not enough I guess. Might still try it and prune more this year and see what happens but we can't stop the yucky sap stuff from killing it. Might make it for a few more years, don't know. I had no idea about citrus trees. They won't grow here. So is this your little Lemon tree you are unhappy about?
Yes, my lemon and also orange and grapefruit, all three have thorns! They don't grow here either if you don't bring them in in the Fall
Never would I have thought they all had thorns! Bummer but just be careful is all I can say :beaming:
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

j.w wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:15 pm

Never would I have thought they all had thorns! Bummer but just be careful is all I can say :beaming:
If you are interested in trees with thorns, check out "Floss Silk Tree" which is an ornamental tree here in Florida. Beautiful flowers, but the trunk has T H O R N S capable of puncturing any car door that dares to open against it (so my neighbor tells me; he has one).
Legumes and peas, I'm told, are Ok under citrus and help fix the nitrogen, so I am checking out "pigeon peas" for the next planting season (spring, I think). More to come.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

SarahT wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:18 pm
If you are interested in trees with thorns, check out "Floss Silk Tree" which is an ornamental tree here in Florida. Beautiful flowers, but the trunk has T H O R N S capable of puncturing any car door that dares to open against it (so my neighbor tells me; he has one).
Legumes and peas, I'm told, are Ok under citrus and help fix the nitrogen, so I am checking out "pigeon peas" for the next planting season (spring, I think). More to come.
oh, great! Now we got SUMTHIN else that's thorny around the CAstle??? Sheesh, making my life a living he....

I just gotta re-read that contract...there HAS to be an 'out' provision...somewhere! Thorn trees...what'll the aristocracy think up next! Btw, you want thorns? And I mean real thorns? Start growing blackberries! Egads, what a mess! Had 3 of them,, the canes come up like raspberries and you can hardly get the fruit off without leaving body parts behind. One season of that and out they came! We should encircle the whole CAstle with 'em; that'd stop all the Godiva thieves...right @j.w ???

:? :o :hysterical: :cool:

All that said but...I wonder if I could attach the Floss Silk tree thorns to the riding koi...would be cool, sorta like underwater unicorns, no? Gonna put it in the suggestion box...
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:07 am
SarahT wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:18 pm

oh, great! Now we got SUMTHIN else that's thorny around the CAstle??? Sheesh, making my life a living he....

I just gotta re-read that contract...there HAS to be an 'out' provision...somewhere! Thorn trees...what'll the aristocracy think up next! Btw, you want thorns? And I mean real thorns? Start growing blackberries! Egads, what a mess! Had 3 of them,, the canes come up like raspberries and you can hardly get the fruit off without leaving body parts behind. One season of that and out they came! We should encircle the whole CAstle with 'em; that'd stop all the Godiva thieves...right @j.w ???

:? :o :hysterical: :cool:

All that said but...I wonder if I could attach the Floss Silk tree thorns to the riding koi...would be cool, sorta like underwater unicorns, no? Gonna put it in the suggestion box...
Blackberries..........why would anyone in their right mind want to grow those things? Wait............look who I am talking to! We have them growing all over here in the PNW all around the whole kingdom. Darn guy named Luther Burbank bought seeds that he thought were from India and sold them and people planted them here.Turned out they were really from Armenia and they grow great here. They are monsters and hard to get rid of. Don't you have them back there all over like here? People are out picking them like crazy now as they are in full bloom now w/plenty of that black fruit.
I wish they were never brought here! :-l
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:23 pm Don't you have them back there all over like here? People are out picking them like crazy now as they are in full bloom now w/plenty of that black fruit.
no, I don't hardy ever see them. I think most are planted by actual 'farmer' types and not many of those around here. Pretty nasty shrubs and not sad I got rid of them!! :roll: :cool:
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

brokensword wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:11 pm
j.w wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:23 pm Don't you have them back there all over like here? People are out picking them like crazy now as they are in full bloom now w/plenty of that black fruit.
no, I don't hardy ever see them. I think most are planted by actual 'farmer' types and not many of those around here. Pretty nasty shrubs and not sad I got rid of them!! :roll: :cool:
I'll confess, I am planning to put in some blackberries by the back fence. Wait, WAIT! I'll be putting in a thornless variety that grows here. I have wonderful memories of picking wild blackberries in the woods as a kid in Maryland and making blackberry ice cream, which simply is the best ice cream I've ever had.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

SarahT wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:08 pm
I'll confess, I am planning to put in some blackberries by the back fence. Wait, WAIT! I'll be putting in a thornless variety that grows here. I have wonderful memories of picking wild blackberries in the woods as a kid in Maryland and making blackberry ice cream, which simply is the best ice cream I've ever had.
and you were obviously either immune to thorn stickers, have leather skin, or just went into senility early and forgot the part BEFORE you ate the berries. Right? heh heh. I HOPE these 'thornless varieties' taste as good! And yeah, that's why I got MINE in the first place as the berries are pretty tasty! But just not worth the 'picking', imo!

:roll: :!: :cool: :loopy:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:55 pm

and you were obviously either immune to thorn stickers, have leather skin, or just went into senility early and forgot the part BEFORE you ate the berries. Right? heh heh. I HOPE these 'thornless varieties' taste as good! And yeah, that's why I got MINE in the first place as the berries are pretty tasty! But just not worth the 'picking', imo!

The roads around here are always full of people w/their bags, buckets or whatever filling them full of all these blackberries. You learn quick how to pick them w/o getting poked. Nobody ever plants them purposely in their own yards! No need to as they are everywhere. There is another variety that is low growing on the ground that are quite tasty and when people find a spot where they grow they never tell anyone about it! :roll:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:47 pm

The roads around here are always full of people w/their bags, buckets or whatever filling them full of all these blackberries. You learn quick how to pick them w/o getting poked. Nobody ever plants them purposely in their own yards! No need to as they are everywhere. There is another variety that is low growing on the ground that are quite tasty and when people find a spot where they grow they never tell anyone about it! :roll:
How tall are the ones you're describing, if there's 'another one' that is low-growing? The shrubs I've seen don't get that tall, maybe 5' max? And, do you have any mulberry trees there in the great PNW? Your blackberries sound a bit like our wild raspberries and mulberry trees here. The mulberry can be seen as a weed type tree to most, but they have some nice tasty berries! Not as strong as raspberries or blackberries, a bit milder, but good tasting. Whenever I'm cutting a yard that has one, there's the inevitable delay for snacking! I've even had a 'white' mulberry; similar taste, looks the same, but the fruit is white. Not typical and have only seen/known of two.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:40 am

How tall are the ones you're describing, if there's 'another one' that is low-growing? The shrubs I've seen don't get that tall, maybe 5' max? And, do you have any mulberry trees there in the great PNW? Your blackberries sound a bit like our wild raspberries and mulberry trees here. The mulberry can be seen as a weed type tree to most, but they have some nice tasty berries! Not as strong as raspberries or blackberries, a bit milder, but good tasting. Whenever I'm cutting a yard that has one, there's the inevitable delay for snacking! I've even had a 'white' mulberry; similar taste, looks the same, but the fruit is white. Not typical and have only seen/known of two.
Cascade Trailing Blackberry

This dwarf primocane-fruiting thornless trailing variety is selected to be cultivated in pots and baskets

Plants are thornless

Bushes have trailing canes

Fruit weight is 4 g

Berries have a conical shape

Fruiting habit - primocane-fruiting only

Flowering on floricanes starts in the third week of August

Ripening date (regular) - fourth week of September
Productivity is

Productivity is 1,3 kg per plant

Cold hardiness is low

Country of origin - United Kingdom and PNW

Black Cascade is trailing fully thornless variety, selected especially for cultivation in hanging baskets and pots in patio, winter gardens, balcony and terraces. Bushes are compact, has low height and sprawl (typically plants grow to 30 cm in height and 45 cm in width). Black Cascade is dwarf primocane-fruiting late-ripening (autumn) bramble. Starts to bloom at the middle of August, harvest season begins at the end of September. Flowers are very attractive, white with pinkish shade.
Harvest is not high (averaged weight is 1,3 kg per plant), but berries are tastey and sweet, size is medium (averaged weight is 4g). Ripen berries have low firmness and storage potential.

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:35 pm
brokensword wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:40 am

Cascade Trailing Blackberry

This dwarf primocane-fruiting thornless trailing variety is selected to be cultivated in pots and baskets

Plants are thornless

Bushes have trailing canes

Fruit weight is 4 g

Berries have a conical shape

Fruiting habit - primocane-fruiting only

Flowering on floricanes starts in the third week of August

Ripening date (regular) - fourth week of September
Productivity is

Productivity is 1,3 kg per plant

Cold hardiness is low

Country of origin - United Kingdom and PNW

Black Cascade is trailing fully thornless variety, selected especially for cultivation in hanging baskets and pots in patio, winter gardens, balcony and terraces. Bushes are compact, has low height and sprawl (typically plants grow to 30 cm in height and 45 cm in width). Black Cascade is dwarf primocane-fruiting late-ripening (autumn) bramble. Starts to bloom at the middle of August, harvest season begins at the end of September. Flowers are very attractive, white with pinkish shade.
Harvest is not high (averaged weight is 1,3 kg per plant), but berries are tastey and sweet, size is medium (averaged weight is 4g). Ripen berries have low firmness and storage potential.

oh wow, I WANT one of those!! Wonder if I could keep it alive all winter in the basement, or does it NEED a cold period/dormancy? Sure looks like a winner to me!