Growing Citrus in cold Climate Anyone?

a place to talk and ask questions about your garden
Gemma
Reactions:

Re: Growing Citrus in cold Climate Anyone?

Post by Gemma »

update: all but one bud on the lemon tree fell off, so no no fruits will be forming.
I read it is common for a plant to drop the buds if it's not strong enough to carry fruits, and mine is definitely not and the weight could've snapped the branches right off, so I guess it's for the best.
I will continue to feed and nurse my citrus trees, the same way I've done so far, at least I know that I handled all their needs and when mature enough they will be able to bloom Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:45 pm update: all but one bud on the lemon tree fell off, so no no fruits will be forming.
I read it is common for a plant to drop the buds if it's not strong enough to carry fruits, and mine is definitely not and the weight could've snapped the branches right off, so I guess it's for the best.
I will continue to feed and nurse my citrus trees, the same way I've done so far, at least I know that I handled all their needs and when mature enough they will be able to bloom Image
hope you get fruit next year! I wouldn't know that joy, unfortunately!!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:45 pm update: all but one bud on the lemon tree fell off, so no no fruits will be forming.
Oh no what a bummer! Maybe next year?
Reminds me of our poor Peach tree that is slowing dying. The fruit is too heavy and it is making one of the big long branches almost touch the ground. Think we are gonna cut it down eventually.
Has a yucky sap stuff all over it even on the peaches :sad:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:25 pm
Reminds me of our poor Peach tree that is slowing dying. The fruit is too heavy and it is making one of the big long branches almost touch the ground. Think we are gonna cut it down eventually.
yep, I battled this exact disease/situation with our peach trees. Read up and other than cutting affected parts off and burning, nothing to do. Seems peaches get this more regularly than they should. Had a pear last year that got infected and had to dig that one out too, and learned a lot of pears were being affected around here. :?
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

aww poor peach tree! Can you try pruning to make it stronger?
You know what else is a bummer? Turns out Citrus trees have thorns Image I had no idea...did you know? I bet someone on here knew and didn't tell me
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gemma wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:05 pm
You know what else is a bummer? Turns out Citrus trees have thorns Image I had no idea...did you know? I bet someone on here knew and didn't tell me
We did prune it but not enough I guess. Might still try it and prune more this year and see what happens but we can't stop the yucky sap stuff from killing it. Might make it for a few more years, don't know. I had no idea about citrus trees. They won't grow here. So is this your little Lemon tree you are unhappy about?
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

I had no idea...did you know? I bet someone on here knew and didn't tell me
um, what? No lil baby with a glare gif fer me? Sheesh! Ya gotta at least put a request in my mailbox BEFORE you go buying thorny plants, oh dear Gemma!! How's is it I'M supposed to know yer lil specs don't work so good, hey? Kinda like when j.w threatens me with 'outdoor' camping jus' cuz I didn't explain you need to 'unwrap' the chocolate sample BEFORE eating it!! Some stuff just doesn't come with manuals, missy, sowwy.

Okay, fine; NEXT time, I'll let you know ifn there's any thorns, or worms, or critters, or mice, or (gasp!) any myrtle seeds in any package you bring home!! Of course, you KNOW this means ya gotta send them all through the Annex xray scanner, right? I didn't 'live' this long without understanding ya don't question packages labeled for 'the queen' when they get dropped off on the CAstle porch! And, I DON'T mean lil queenie this time!

heh

:D 8-) :cheesyGrin: :inverted: :shock: :roll: ;) :-l :cool:
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

OOPS. I thought you knew they had thorns. Sorry.
My lemon tree isn't doing well this summer either. turns out the ground cover I planted under it is "detrimental to citrus tree growth and production", so I transplanted the ground cover a few days ago.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

SarahT wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:16 pm

My lemon tree isn't doing well this summer either. turns out the ground cover I planted under it is "detrimental to citrus tree growth and production", so I transplanted the ground cover a few days ago.
I wonder what effect your ground cover is having? I've heard of certain trees that put out a chem that dissuades other trees/plants from growing near (Black walnut) but have never heard of your situation. I know some vines like ivy can climb and strangle trees, eventually, but for the most part, I'd have thought the trees root system would take water away from the ground cover first!
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Not your fault, I was just surprised cause I did a lot of research watching videos and asking people questions before deciding to purchase citrus trees, and the fact that they have thorns never came up
I'm very sorry your tree isn't doing good, I hope it recovers @SarahT Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

brokensword wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:04 pm

I wonder what effect your ground cover is having? I've heard of certain trees that put out a chem that dissuades other trees/plants from growing near (Black walnut) but have never heard of your situation. I know some vines like ivy can climb and strangle trees, eventually, but for the most part, I'd have thought the trees root system would take water away from the ground cover first!
A commercial growers' article says, " ... it’s toxic to cattle and pets" [me: whaaa???} Apparently, like black walnut, lantana puts out something that discourages good growth of citrus. There's a Florida native lantana, but some species brought in as ornamentals were invasive. The plants I have are sterile hybrids (U of Florida developed some to combat the invasive stuff. neat, huh?). But they still aren't good under citrus, so now they're moved and I'll see what happens to the lemon from here (the thorns will undoubtedly be the last to go if it doesn't make it).
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

SarahT wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:56 am
brokensword wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:04 pm

A commercial growers' article says, " ... it’s toxic to cattle and pets" [me: whaaa???} Apparently, like black walnut, lantana puts out something that discourages good growth of citrus. There's a Florida native lantana, but some species brought in as ornamentals were invasive. The plants I have are sterile hybrids (U of Florida developed some to combat the invasive stuff. neat, huh?). But they still aren't good under citrus, so now they're moved and I'll see what happens to the lemon from here (the thorns will undoubtedly be the last to go if it doesn't make it).
that's really interesting! I wonder if the opposite is also true--is there a plant that actually benefits citrus in some way? I know there are some plants that are good for fixing nitrogen in the soil, so they'd be good for various plants that way (the soil in general, I guess).